Quantcast

LG's 47 And 55-Inch Cinema 3D Smart TVs With Google TV Marked Down $700- $800 [Deals]

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 17, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

LG's 47 and 55-Inch Cinema 3D Smart TV's With Google TV Marked Down $700-$800 [Deals] (click for full article)

From the article:

"I'm not even in the market for a new television but I'm starting to second guess if I really need another. Remember those LG Smart TV's that were announced at this year's CES 2012? In case you forgot, let me remind you. These are the LED tv's that come with all the bells and whistles you could ever want in a television like Google TV, 1080p full HD, WiFi, 3D (passive), 6 pairs of glasses and uber thin bezel. I wont even lie to you. I was there for the unveiling, but I knew there'd be no way, in a thousand years, that I would ever be able to afford one of these.

Well, a thousand years wasn't quite as long as I thought it'd be, seeing as how these amazing televisions have suddenly fit into my budget. If you head on over to Amazon, LG's Cinema 3D smart televisions have been marked down by as much as 41%, almost halving their original pricing. The 47-inch model was previously $1,700, now marked down to $1,000, while the 55-inch, originally $2,300, can now be had for $1,500."

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

I just checked on Amazon and they are now offering approximately $900 off list price for the LG GTV 55 inch model. Currently it's going for $1396.36

3. crawlernight11

crawlernight11 New Member

[h=1]Well, that is a great news. Getting LG GTV 55 Inch at 1396.36 is a great saving for people. For a long time I have been carving for one and saving $900 is a great thing. But somewhat it sounds a bit suspicious. A TV which is in great demand and having considerable amount of sales is going at a considerable reduction. I still have my doubts over this. It has to be either that LG is trying to revive the market control that it is slowly losing because of tough competition from Samsung, Philips, etc.[/h]

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I believe it is as simple as the fact, LG couldn't sell these displays at such a premium price. I love Google TV and would like to have one of these sets, if I could afford one, but so far there is no market willing to pay a premium to get a display with Google TV so LG and the various retailers are doing what is necessary to sell the sets. I think this price is right but I am not sure the displays can be manufactured and sold at this price profitably so this may be the end of the line for LG Google TV displays.

5. CatfishRivers

Wow! I just checked Amazon and the LG 47 inch GTV is now approx. $900 (47%) off list price. Currently selling for only $899.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0074WVYWA...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0074WVYWA

The 55 inch LG GTV television price has been reduced further also to $1299.

Also rather amazing to me is that the 47 inch model is currently #107 on the Amazon Electronics bestsellers list. This is excellent for a higher priced item such as this. When it was at full list price it was at something like #30,000. It's also currently the 5th best selling television on Amazon. For comparative purposes - the new Sony NSZ GTV box is currently at #571 on Amazon electronics.

However I'm not so sure the news is all positive. With the LG discounts becoming steeper and steeper - I'm wondering if they're doing a blowout liquidation sale (similar to what Logitech did with the Revue before they jumped ship). IMO Sony will need to also eventually cut the prices of the NSZ GTV box to compete successfully against the $99 GTV boxes. Apparently the Vizio Co-Star has been selling well (as it always sells out it's pre-order batches in quick fashion). Although it's hard to get a true feel - because the Co-Star isn't available on Amazon (to see it on the sales chart) - and we don't know the actual number of units sold.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  6. ChrisG8

We can't even guess at the number of Co-Star units sold, does Vizio get in an order of 500 and quickly sell out? If so, not many have been sold. It is clear a number of Co-Star purchasers are coming here but not very many Sony NSZ-GS7 purchasers are members here. I don't think we can even conclude that the Co-Star outsells the Sony since the Sony is available at some brick and mortar retailers and those purchasers are less likely to participate here while the Co-Star purchasers could very well have heard about the product and online only offer from a forum and very likely to participate in the discussion.

I don't believe the Sony NSZ-GS7 can be sold profitably at a much lower price so once it starts its downward price spiral, look for the end of the product's life span. Personally I still think the Sony will ultimately be proven to be worth the premium and having both first generation boxes, I feel the first gen Sony was worth the premium as well.

7. ChrisG8

I hope LG can sell at those prices profitably but I sure don't know if that is so. I particularly think the 47" is a nice deal but both displays at Amazon prices are attractive.