Quantcast

Lg Joins Philips For Web TV System As Apple Threat Looms

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 31, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

LG Joins Philips for Web TV System as Apple Threat Looms - Bloomberg (click for full article)

Apple Inc. (AAPL) and Google Inc. (GOOG)'s rise in the smartphone market has pushed Nokia Oyj (NOK1V) and Research In Motion Ltd. to the brink. Now, television makers are scrambling to make sure the same won't happen to them.

At the IFA consumer-electronics fair in Berlin this week, manufacturers including Toshiba Corp. (6502), LG Electronics Inc. (066570) and Royal Philips Electronics NV (PHIA) are banding together to develop a common system that allows users to listen to music, watch videos and play games via the Internet on TV sets. Television makers are wagering that mobile-phone users who are hooked to consuming content will want the same access -- and on bigger screens -- when they return home.

For manufacturers to hold back Apple and Google, both making steps to take a slice of the TV market, they have to develop a joint operating system because consumers won't accept more than a few competing platforms, said Klaus Boehm, the head of media practice at Deloitte LLP in Dusseldorf, Germany. "All market participants have to consider this as part of their strategy, and if they make the wrong call they may be out of the market in a few years' time," he said.

Apple and Google "can set de facto standards against the consensus of the market and assert themselves because of their market power and unique selling points."

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I thought LG was committed to Google TV, what does this mean?

3. CatfishRivers

It sounds to me like LG is hedging their bets.

4. ChrisG8

Ha, well it sounds worse than that to me. It is like placing a bet on a good race horse then placing your own horse, an old plow horse, in the lane beside the horse you bet on hoping it will bump the good horse as it steps out of the gate and knock it out of the race.

5. CatfishRivers

According to this article (see link below) - LG has been selling 5000 GTV televisions per month. I'm not sure what amount of large screen HD televisions is considered good per month (for a particular model) - but judging from the tone of the article 5000 units per month isn't very good. I'm assuming that LG was selling 5000 units before they had to drastically slash the prices of their GTV televisions by approx. 50% recently. I agree that the drastic price reduction probably isn't a good sign - but IMO that's one of the reasons why LG is getting involved with the other Web TV cartel.

Samsung Adds Google App Store in TVs to Replicate Linkup - Businessweek

From the article:

"LG, the second-largest TV manufacturer, which began selling Google TV in the U.S. in July, is selling 5,000 units per month, said Kwan Sup Lee, a vice president of the company."

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  6. ChrisG8

I believe 5,000 a month is very bad, I would guess that is 4,000 47" and 1,000 55" but I don't really have any information. It appears this may be the end of the line for LG Google TV but I sure hope not. My LG Blu-ray players with internet access are really good and I hoped LG would have exceptional Google TV devices as well.

7. CatfishRivers

OTT Popularity Scares TV Makers into Building a Common Connected TV System? (click for full article)

by Christophor Rick |

"Yeah, it's a weird bit of news but it seems that fear of Apple and Google taking a big slice of their TV viewer's time and business, was motivation enough for some of the largest TV manufacturers to get together and build exact what I said we needed, a single common system for connected TVs.

In my recent connected TV article series I spoke about how the fragmentation might be the single worst thing to happen. It makes building apps difficult because each manufacturer has something different which means you can't just plug and play, you have to tweak it to get it just right."

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012