Quantcast

Lg ga7900 ga6400 TV's are out

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by Peteo, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Peteo

Peteo Member

LG GA6400 TV's are available on both amazon and best buy
    amazon has the LG GA7900 TV's for order but are 2-5 week delivery times
    if any one has any experience with these TV's please post

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up. Here are the links:

- LG GA6400 series on Amazon (5 sizes available):

Amazon.com: LG Electronics 47GA6400 47-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV with Google TV and Four Pairs of 3D Glasses: Electronics

- LG GA7900 series on Amazon (2 sizes available):

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...UTF8&qid=1364429048&sr=1-1&keywords=LG+ga7900

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- LG GA6400 on Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&st=LG+GA6400

* Note: It looks like right now Best Buy is only carrying the 47 inch GA6400 model.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  3. Peteo

Peteo Member

So I went ahead and picked up the 47inch ga6400 @ best buy.
    i recently cut the cord and have a TiVo premier box with OTA.
    This is my firs lt google TV device, though I have had xbmc, Apple TV & boxee and work in the tech field.

TV it self is nice, nothing amazing but OTA looks great, like it should. Haven't fooled with the 3D but might be good for some animated movies.

Google tv 3.0 seems at first glance seems pretty good but definalty not polished. It has a way to go to for average non techie. Amazon prime is nice, video looks clean but it has crashed on me already. Also onlive is not working (onlive said they are aware of the issue and working on a fix)
    Biggest problem is the prime time app & my TiVo box, I have google tv controlling TiVo but with the prime time app it sends channels to the box as whole numbers. I use over the air so the channel numbers need to be in 2.1, 2.2 etc format. When prime time send just 2 TiVo try's to tune it but can't. Very frustrating.

I do like some of the other apps like vimu which plays local content from my nas & can do airplay (have iPhone & iPad)
    If they can get the kinks out I think this combo will help me keep the cord cut (or just basic cable)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

I have the G2 and love it, sounds like with all the "upgrades" I should have waited and spent the extra $200 for this unit..oh well hind sight is always 20/20. My big questions are does it allow for 3D playback through Plex or ViMu? The old G2's only playback SBS or O/U 3D from the "local media player", youtube, or the "tv player".

On the OTA side of things....what have you set your provider as? Is it listed as "broadcast digital xxzipx"?

5. Peteo

Peteo Member

Haven't tried the 3D yet. Dont have plex set up and all content that I play with ViMu is not 3D, Looking at the app page it does not look like it does, but in the ViMu google group some one posted about 3D support, so maybe they will add it. there is a 3D gallery thing and it looks like you can also make any 2-D source 3-D but I'm not sure if that works in apps. (just got the TV about 14 hours ago)

As for OTA, I set it up as Tivo and it says Broadcast digital xxzipx but will not send the right channel numbers to my tivo :( Maybe ill just use the built in TV tuner, but then of course I would loose my DVR.

Do like the LG remote, and motion sensing. Wish there where more buttons on the top (like pip), and the wish keyboard was back lit (why every manufacturer does not do this make no sense) over all its a good remote, better than my boxee box remote. mic is cool too, not sure how much ill use it, but with the prime time app now supporting amazon prime and netflix search could be very usefull

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  6. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Ya know something just crossed my mind....since the Primetime guide does not integrate with the tivo for scheduling you could use the built in tuner for watching live tv, then still use the Tivo for scheduling, it would just be a matter of picking which source is "searchable", you could still control both inputs with the "magic remote". That being said you would have to switch inputs obviously to get back and forth but, it might be less of a headache then having multiple remotes laying around. I believe if you are in your DVR menu and say press guide on the remote, it will bring up the primetime quick guide, and when you select a channel I think it will change the input and tune the channel, it works in reverse for me, but when you are on the built in tuner you won't have the menu > dvr option. You would have to change input back to hdmi to get to the tivo and then the dvr option returns.

I too am really enjoying the remote. At first I didn't like it at all, now its become an extension of me, I use my HTPC for a tuner and even able to control it with some in depth set up of course. Oh oh that reminds me...Do you have an AVR set-up on yours? Another "issue" I have with the G2 is when you have an AVR configured the only way to control the volume of it is if the "Tv speakers" are turned off, and its somewhat of a pain to jump to the setting to turn the speaker on or off"

7. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

Now that I am playing around with it more...it seems if you have both sources configured with will tune on either one, you might get some duplicate listings in the guide, or when you select a show/channel it will ask you which "source" you want to tune.

8. tangfj

tangfj New Member

I'm thinking about getting this TV. I've never used a google TV as I've always had a projector. I've been considering this TV or a Samsung F8000...

Can anybody comment on how well this works with Plex? Also, can anybody tell me how well this works with a Tivo box? Those are my two primary uses for a TV, while the rest of the features of the TV would be extras... I also have an iPhone, iPad, and Nexus 7... could any of these devices work with the google TV to either control it or airplay?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions! Really just trying to understand what features this TV has that I can benefit from. I'll probably go to BB tomorrow to check it out.

9. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

While I don't have this exact model I have the 47G2 which is basically the older brother of this tv. I won't be able to comment on the WiDi or NFC aspects but as for what you are asking Plex works great! It handles most codecs without transcoding, the only problems I have really run into with plex are 1, 3D is not supported, 2. TV does not support Mpeg2 video.

If you are going to be using TiVo OTA you might run into problems for sub-channels not being keyed properly by the blasters, ie; 20.1 gets blasted as 201(this could be addressed in a future update) If you are using TiVo with a cable provider, chances are you will not expereince any problems, but I don't have a TiVo so I cannot confirm.

Airplay; I believe there are some apps in the google play store that will allow you to make use of airplay with your Airplay devices, The Nexus 7 has DLNA so it can and will sling content to the tv no problem, there are also a couple good remote apps available that will turn it into a GoogleTV remote. Not sure about iOS' youtube app but your Nexus can be paired to the tv to act as a controller for youtube as while still able to surf on your phone and que items up.

I just got my G2 a couple months ago, while it is my second GoogleTV device I have been very happy with the purchase, in fact my only real complaint at this point is I wish I had waited the extra bit of time and the little extra money to get the newer models.

On another note, in comparision to the Samsung at a minimum you will most likely see faster update with the Plex app, on the google TV it will get updated via the play store, if your a PlexPass member then you will definetly be able to play with the bleeding edge code versus having to wait for it to go threw the update chain. You will also have the availablity of anything you have purchased from google for the nexus available on the TV, ie apps, music, movies etc, granted any of those items will either have to be compatible with Google TV or be sideloaded onto the TV.

10. tangfj

tangfj New Member

Thanks for the response! It sounds like this is the TV for me. From what I've read, it seems like the GTV isn't completely a homerun in terms of interface but it's still better than the rest of the pack. Now to choose between the GA6400 and GA7900. With the models being so new I will probably wait until people have some more experience with both before buying.

On a side note, also from what I've read, it looks like the GA6400 and GA7900 both have dual core processors in them. Have you guys had any experiences to share with the performance of the GA6400 or GA7900? I think I read that somebody mentioned that the interface is snappier than the older GTV's, just wondering how well it performs with more intensive apps like Plex. Do you notice any stuttering on HD content/etc? Also, what happens when you try to play a 3D SBS movie? I know on my Apple TV, if I play a 3D SBS file it'll play just fine as actual an side-by-side movie... then all I have to do on my projector is manually force the projector in to 3D SBS mode. Do 3D files fail to play at all on your GTV via Plex?

11. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

From what I can tell the newer models and the G2 sport the same L9 processor, I could be wrong but believe they just updated a few things and added some features like NFC and WiDi, at any rate 3D does not work in Plex or any Networkable player, the only player for local content is the "local media player" which will only play items off a usb device(hard drive, flash drive etc) If you try to play in plex 1 of 2 things will happen;
    1. It will play the SBS, when you try to select 3D mode you only get the option to convert 2d > 3d which then just displays both SBS images and attempts to process it to 3D
    2. You will get audio but no video on playback.
    Currently the TV does not support 3D mode in all APPS, at least on the G2, considering they are almost identical in spec LG will be removed from my christmas list if this tv supports 3d in all apps vs the G2. That being said if you hook your apple tv up to it and run your 3d through it, it will be just like your projector experience. 3D settings are available on the inputs just not in all apps, currently I think its only supported on the "live tv player"(which is what displays video from your inputs) and youtube.

1080p on the G2 is flawless for me, UI responds faster then my co-star. In fact I have yet to have any resource related issues, of course I also run ram booster and constantly am killing unused apps etc, it really is a must for any GTV device.

I do have mine hardwired not on wifi, I also avoid transcoding as much as possible and am running PlexPass, my server is an old dual core Athlon 64 with only 3gb mem and also serving as my HTPC hooked to this tv. I can serve video to both the G2 and my costar while playing back/recording 1080p LiveTv from my HD Homerun Prime.

12. tangfj

tangfj New Member

Thanks again for the info. When you run Plex and say you try not to transcode, what is the suggested native file type for the LG GTV?

I have mixed media (xvid, divx, mkv, and mp4) but lately I've been trying to use mostly mp4 or m4v (in 480p, 720p or 1080p) as my media player of choice for plex has lately been the Apple TV. So what file types for the LG GTV do not require transcoding? and does the audio type cause any kind of transcoding issues on the LG GTV? I've read on the plex forums that audio transcoding is negligible and mostly what causes problems are the video transcoding but want to be sure that my media will be supported and hopefully without transcoding.

13. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

From what I can tell the only codec it won't play natively is mpeg2. All the file types you mentioned should be just fine, I believe its the only GTV device around now that will handle DTS as well(I could be wrong on that) I know the STB's all have issues with DTS. I mostly try to avoid transcoding on my Costar, the LG G2 has been awesome for direct play except for mpeg2, but since I got the PlexPass it seems the newer server can handle transcoding mpeg2 better then the old one, mpeg2 is so outdated its rarely used anymore with recorded tv from media center being the main thing, or of course dvd iso's. Why it doesn't support it i'll never understand, I am sure it boils down to licensing on LG's end.

14. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am sure happy to see more LG Google TV displays and I wish the company would add a Blu-ray/Google TV model. As far as Google TV boxes that will handle DTS, the Sony NSZ-GT1 is the only model I own that will. Google TV is easily the best smart TV platform for my needs.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

I agree I wish LG would release either a blu-ray or a buddy box for that matter. Good to know on the GT1, I always forget it exists. SMH While the GoogleTV platform in general does have its drawbacks it is still superior to other smart tv platforms I have encountered. It definatly is getting more attention from developers as of lately so things are progressing in the right direction.

16. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

in 2012 LG used two different processors... a dual core L9 processor (which the G2 uses) and a single core MTK processor. in 2013 the low end models (none of the GTV's) use some single core (not sure which one), but LG is also using two Dual core processors this year. L9 is replaced by processor that is 1.2GHz Dual Core and the slower dual core is a 1GHz version. Im not sure which one that GA6400 or GA7900 use but either one sport processors that are significantly faster than the L9...

17. Peteo

Peteo Member

Hmm, well the web site says it uses the L9 (maybe its just a faster one?)

[h=3]L9 DUAL CORE PROCESSOR[/h]LG Google TV's L9 Dual Processor delivers the speed you need to do more than you ever imagined. Tap the unbeatable search power of the Google Chrome web browser, post your vacation video on YouTube, plan your sports lineup for the whole season. And wait 'til you experience the fun of watching your favorite shows as you social network at the same time. Multi-tasking to the max has never been so rewarding.

18. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

Yea that is literature left over from 2012. LG has yet to update its marketing info for GTV on its website...

LG might choose to use the same name L9 but its definitely a different processor (faster).

19. Peteo

Peteo Member

Well thats good to hear, were did you get this info?

20. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

you will just need to trust in the force..