Quantcast

LG G2 Defects

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by Ron.Shosti, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Ron.Shosti

Ron.Shosti New Member

I'm posting a list of issues that I hope LG/Google can address in their next release. It surprises me the amount of issues that I've seen with this device. I'm an embedded systems engineer by day so I realize every products ships with defects, but it shocks me that they would release a product with this many issues. I really do want to like this TV, but everyday it tests my patience. My Samsung Galaxy S3 has been flawless, so I kind of expected the same with this TV.

Issue #1 (Horrible Wifi)
    - The fastest speed I could get through wifi was 1Mb/s, which made navigating apps very slow. My phone's wifi (in the same location) managed 10Mb/s. A powerline ethernet adapter solved my bandwidth issue and I know get 10Mb/s. It surprises me a product this big couldn't afford a larger wifi antenna.

Issue #2 (Netflix App)
    - The interface is horribly inconsistent. The pointer doesn't work, sometimes you have to move the cursor back and forth just to make a selection, 5.1 Dolby causes the audio to cut out.

Issue #3 (App updates)
    - Google Play notifies me of updates, but doesn't show me which ones need updating... annoying.

Issue #4 (No Hulu?)
    - This perhaps isn't Google's or LG's fault, but still annoying.

Issue #5 (No way to stream directly from my WMC PC)
    - I couldn't find a way to stream either through SMB or DLNA movies from my windows home media center without a 3rd party app.

Issue #6 (Clicking home doesn't always work)
    - When I power on the TV, it sometimes takes a half a dozen clicks or more to get the home screen to finally pop up.

Issue #7 (keyboard is laid out inefficiently)
    - No '@' character is annoying, plus the pause, play and arrow buttons are too small.

There are probably more issues that I'm missing but I wanted to get this out there in case somebody at Lg/Google is listening.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, it is my hope that more people with technical expertise buy Google TV, use it and communicate with Google and the device manufacturers about the issues. Of course having members with such technical skills here is nice as well, we have had a couple come and go and they are certainly missed. I hope you don't get frustrated and leave the product behind rather than identify shortcomings and communicate suggestions.

I have been using the first generation boxes for over a year and understand how to use the devices for my needs extremely well but I have no technical expertise to understand and communicate ways to improve Google TV. As far as your issues, I believe several are directly related to the LG specific implementation of Google TV so hopefully LG and Google get busy with updates and improvements wherever possible.

I don't have an LG Google TV but your issues 1, 2, 6, and 7 are not issues for me with either of my two models. Issue #3 I do see and agree it is annoying. You are certainly right issue #4 can't be fixed by Google or LG and the basic Hulu service is licensed only for use with traditional PCs and any of the streaming boxes are going to be locked out as long as Hulu can figure out how to prevent access, so that one will be a hacker community versus Hulu game unless the licensing changes, which is unlikely. The Hulu Plus service is what we can hope will be officially offered at some point, the message the last time I tried to access Hulu Plus was that it was being worked on but the first time I tried, over a year ago, I got the same message so I am not hopeful at this point. My biggest requests are for Hulu Plus and Vudu, I use a PS3 for those services and think the PS3 app is first rate in both cases, I would prefer to use Google TV with apps of that quality.

Issue #5 doesn't matter much to me since I don't have much in the way of local files to access but if I did, I don't think using a free or inexpensive third party app is much of an issue and ultimately will probably be preferable so uniformity across all Google TV devices and other similar devices could offer advantages such as ease of use and support. My boxes do have proprietary apps included for that purpose, but even I purchased Plex and GTVBox and don't bother with the manufacturer provided apps. For $2.48 total, I installed both on all 3 Google TV boxes in my house.

3. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

issue#1 - wired is always going to be better than wireless in terms of reliability and speed, but i agree it would be nice to have a stronger/better antenna.

issue #2 - i really agree that the pointer should work in this app. it make navigation easier and the fact it doesnt work provides a break in the positive experience one has by using the magic motion remote.

issue #4 - this is really between Google and Hulu and we all know they are not big friends, so i wouldnt expect this app anytime soon or at all.

issue #5 - it would be nice if the "media player" app streamed DLNA, but since this is android based (honeycomb) it works just like any other android device, meaning you have to download a 3rd party app to allow for DLNA playback. unfortunately this means that LG nor Google will be able to walk you through the process of playing DLNA since they dont provide customer support for apps. ( i suggest the Plex app even though it costs $$).

issue #6 - this is normal. im sure you get a message to wait while the TV loads. whats its doing is booting up. one of the draw backs to these new Smart TV's is that since they are now running an OS instead of some OSD, this means they need time to boot up. usually its about 10-30 seconds.

issue #7 - if you hit Fn + W = @...that will give you the @ symbol. it would have been nice for the keyboard to be backlit, so that you dont have to turn the lights on just to read the salmon colored secondary functions. the size of the keys is something that i dont think should be changed unless they make the whole remote bigger next year. how else are they going to fit so many keys on the remote?

4. Ron.Shosti

Ron.Shosti New Member

Modern wifi should be plenty capable in any house. However, what gets me is that my tiny cellphone standing in same location using the same wifi gets 10x the performance. A device this large could afford a larger (or even two) wifi antennas.

Yeah, I've gotten over this one. My impression was that since this was a TV player, that the built-in media player would support this. GTVBox solved this issue for me. Also not all the 3rd party apps include the widget to dock on the home screen.
    This creates another instance of an inconsistent UI and another reason for my wife to get frustrated when she tries to start a show for the kids.

The problem is they should let you know if the Android is still booting or initializing. They pop you to TV screen and you think it's ready to go.

After typing your email adress a few times during setup, or typing emails makes the Fn+W key operation a chore.
    I actually wouldn't mind a bigger remote so you could have larger arrow keys and give more context on where your fingers are on the keypad instead of a giant swath of identical keys. Just my preference though, I'm sure you can't please everybody.

Overall I like the TV, it has potential, but it doesn't pass the "wife test" yet.