Quantcast

LG 55g2 google tv crash and restart by itself

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by sayjohnny1437usa, Dec 9, 2012.

1. sayjohnny1437usa

sayjohnny1437usa New Member

Problem: LG 55g2 google tv crash and restart whenever it's loading somehting and u try to do something else with the remote control... Scroll key act as a restart key for the tv

The tv works fine but sometimes it crash and restart itself if you do this:
    Turn tv on, click home button and go to home menu, click google chrome, then click home button again , wait until the mouse pointer disappear, then use your thumb to do scroll down on the remote, tv will crash and restart sometimes...

I Called LG tech support, the girl is no help, and gonna send a tech out on 12/11/2012... but i don't think it's a hardware problem, i think it's a software problem... just like your laptop when it has virus or spyware it restart sometimes..... Google need to update their TV software, man....Because when i am watching tv, everything looks fine......

updated: LG tech replaced board on 12-17-2012, tv still crash and restart whenever i go to home menu and wait until the mouse pointer dissapear and then scroll down... scroll key acts like a restart key and restart my tv...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

"Turn tv on, click home button and go to home menu, click google chrome, then click home button again , wait until the mouse pointer disappear, then use your thumb to do scroll down on the remote, tv will crash and restart sometimes..."

wow you really try your hardest to find a way to crash your TV...

i would say that its simply because you are trying to get the TV to do too many things at once....

ill try and replicate that on my TV..

3. sayjohnny1437usa

Dude, 5 simple steps, tv will crash, what are u talking about? Is the tv made by Tofu or what? You called these 5 simple steps the hardest thing for the tv? U out of your mind? I agree if this lg google tv is made by Tofu....totally agree

4. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

yea i just tried it and nothing happened to me....but it isnt as smooth as you let on...
    when i turn it on i have to wait at least 30 seconds before the home key works (which is normal)..
    then once i get to the home screen, i have to wait until the TV connects to the internet (i can tell when 3D world populates)..
    then i click on Chrome...it pulls up
    i then click home again...it takes me back to home
    ..i wait for the cursor to disappear
    then i scroll down...and nothing happens.

i did get some message that said "There is no TV service currently set up. Check Video input or Channel settings"...this is because i have not set up any cable box as my video input, so this is normal.

i would suggest doing a power cycle on your TV, and if that doesnt work, to try doing an initial setting to erase everything and start from scratch (i suggest you enable all of the backup settings first).

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

"wait until the mouse pointer disappear, then use your thumb to do scroll down on the remote, tv will crash and restart sometimes..."

Interesting. I have a very similar thing happen to me with my Logitech Revue. The sentence above just about describes it to a T. For me it doesn't seem to be related to the home page - but it happens (sometimes) when I move the cursor fast on a web page. ..I would characterize it as happening "on occasion". Not frequently but enough to be mildly irritating.

This tends to make me think it is a glitch with the GTV OS - and not specifically a glitch related to LG.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  6. sayjohnny1437usa

Go to chrome, then home, wait until mouse pointer disappear , don't move and make your mouse pointer appear, don't .. But just scroll down with mouse pointer disappearing, tv will restart like the video I posted... Tofu tv

7. sayjohnny1437usa

Go to chrome, then home, wait until mouse pointer disappear , don't move and make your mouse pointer appear, don't .. But just scroll down with mouse pointer disappearing, tv will restart like the video I posted... Tofu tv

8. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

tried it again...didnt happen.

why are you trying to scroll down on the home screen? what are you trying to do that wont happen?

9. sayjohnny1437usa

Because the LG genius design this mouse button and the scroll key the same key at the same spot and once in awhile the pointer disappear and u have to click it or do scroll down to make the mouse pointer appear again or u call it : wake the mouse up from sleeping. Am I clear now?. Dude u are a LG guy huh?

10. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

sounds like its a glitch with the software on your unit. what software version are you on? 03.04.04 is the latest?

you should be able to just shake the remote to get the cursor back on the screen...but in any case, scrolling down on any screen doesnt cause my unit to crash or restart. granted is had my share of apps crash, even the basic OS. usually after turning the TV off and power cycling it, it usually eventually resolves all the issues. think of this OS as being just like android. rebooting your phone usually solves most issues.

11. sayjohnny1437usa

Dude, I am a electrician, I build my own computer, I know how software hardware work... I got the latest software version. Do u need me to teach u how to update it or what? Am I a six years old kid? Shaking the remote with your arm or just use your thumb to wake up the remote, which way is easier? Think before you ask, come on dude....

12. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

hey am im sorry if your taking my assistance the wrong way. there is no need to take your frustration out on me. how was i supposed to know that your an electrician and build your own computers? i was supposed to automatically know that with my magical powers?

now lets start over...

so your TV has this issue that others may have and others can not reproduce. it cant be a hardware issue since other G2's dont exhibit the problem...you have the latest software...

did this start happening after a software update? has it always been like this? what happened from the beginning?...you unboxed the TV, hooked it up to the internet, went through those 8 steps to set up the TV....did this issue start to happen from the beginning? or did you update first and then the issue started happening?

it does feel like a software issue though... and if it is, i suggest you contact LG so that they inform the Google TV team. once they are aware its up to them if they fix it through and update or not, i would say. if very few people have a similar issue then i would not get your hopes up for an update to fix it. also if other G2's (with the latest update) dont have the issue, then having a technician to change out the main board might even solve your issue...

let us know what happens with the tech...

13. sampcyn

sampcyn New Member

I'm able to reproduce this. I hope it's not a hardware problem.

14. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

so you were only able to get the TV to crash when you went through ALL those steps that SayJohnny1437USA had outlined?

were you able to get it to crash when simply scrolling down when on the home screen or did you have to go through all those steps just to get it to crash?

15. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

i still cant reproduce this....i go through all those steps and my 47G2 wont crash. when i scroll down on the home screen after i wait for the cursor to disappear, i get a notification saying that i do not have a TV service currently set up...

so it could be a glitch in how your TV's are integrated with your TV service..

what TV Service do you all have? i think the best info would be if you can tell me all the setting for your video input... (what input? what zip code? what cable/Sat provider? manufacturer of Cable/Sat box? which IR blaster code are you using?)...this way i can try and replicate as close as possible to the settings that you guys have..

16. sampcyn

sampcyn New Member

Yes - See my exact steps below:
    1. Change video input to HDMI1
    2. In HDMI1 full screen mode, wait for cursor to disappear(this may not make any difference) then press the HOME button.
    3. Scroll wheel up or down to activate cursor. Launch Google Chrome, and wait for the cursor to disappear.
    4. Press Home button, and scroll wheel up or down

Easy enough?

17. sayjohnny1437usa

Actually tv will crash if u go to chrome or play store or anything, then go back home , wait until mouse pointer disappear , then scroll down... Sucks

18. sayjohnny1437usa

Dude it's not about the tv service.. I have it connect to my desktop and still crash.. Be smart..

19. sampcyn

sampcyn New Member

Be smart? "....tv service"? WTF???
    Anyway, I'm sure there're million ways to crash the damn thing - I was just stating one of them. How about you stop being a retard? FYI - That was rhetorical question :)

20. Jwill89156

Jwill89156 New Member

As a new member of this forum and As a new owner of a LG 55G2 tv I have experienced this very same issue, I was not sure exactly how it was happening or what was causing it, but it does happen exactly as others have stated, it's prolly a software issue that google or lg needs to make an update to keep it from happening, this shouldn't be happening on a tv that cost 2 grand....