Quantcast

LG 50GA6400 LAN cable question - Please Help

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by Joogle, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Joogle

Joogle New Member

Ok we purchased a new home and I had it wired to run HDMI, cat5, coax and an IR cable from the TV wall location back to my data closet where all the equipment is. This distance (in a straight line) is about 45ft but if you go up over and down they probably used a 75ft cables. My issue is that I DO NOT get a link light on my router when I try to use the LAN port on my TV. If I plug in a laptop into the same cable I can connect without any problems. If I move my TV closer to the router and use another cable I can connect and there are no problems. I am thinking that the NIC (in the TV) is not putting out a strong enough signal to reach the router. LG support has replaced my main board twice with no luck (they have given up and told me to return the TV). Has anyone else had the same problem? Does anyone else use the Ethernet port with the same distance?....the other strange thing is that if I connect the TV to an old 10mb/half duplex hub I can get a link and then connection to the router but it is very slow.

my topology is:
    LG 50GA6400 3D Google TV
    75ft Honewell cable part no. 6330
    Cisco Linksys EA4500 router

2. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

i think your pretty much right. it looks like all the trouble shooting you did was good enough to determine that the issue has to be that the NIC in the TV either will not send a strong enough signal or needs to receive a stronger signal. when adding the hub it works because it effectively working as an amplifier (much like a wireless repeater). the LG GTV is awesome so i suggest you invest in a decent router/hub to allow the signal to work as its worth it. so its not that anything is wrong with your TV, you have just reached its limitations.

3. Joogle

Joogle New Member

I am going to try one more thing. I am ordering a new cat 5e 100ft cable to run across the floor to see if I have any more luck. The cable should be here tomorrow.

4. Joogle

Joogle New Member

Ok short story, It was that the RJ45 ends were wired bad.

Troubleshooting steps
    Before I went and took the TV back I went and bought a cable tester (for $70) and tested the cable. The test on the cable showed pins 3,6,4 & 5 were bad (see 1st picture) and for Ethernet to work it needs pins 1,2,3 & 6 to show good. When I called the company that installed the cable they told me that it could not be anything wrong with the cable and my tester was probably bad so my next step was to buy a 100 ft cat5e ethernet cable (from amazon for $10) and run it across the floor. I tested that one (see 2nd picture) and it showed pairs 1,2,3 & 6 were good and I was also able to get a link light on my router so now I had 2 pieces of evidence proving the cable was bad. I called the cabling company back with more proof and they sent someone out to replace the RJ45 ends. I tested the cable with the new ends (see 3rd picture) and everything showed green and I got a link light.

The moral of the story is if the Electrician that LG sent to my house (3 times) had a better cable tester that could tested each Pinout they would have caught that the first service call.

Attached Files: