Quantcast

LG 3d Google TV General question.

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by pokerwoody, Jan 13, 2014.

1. pokerwoody

pokerwoody New Member

I am thinking about buying the 60" lg 3d google tv. I have a few questions. I currently have a vizo co-star box. Will this work the same with the ability to side load apps? How does the remote work and will it work well with my satellite receiver? Any other opinions or feedback appreciated.

thanks.

2. Fomol620

Fomol620 Active Member

yes you can sideload apps just like any other GTV product, of course it doesnt need to be said that apps that are side loaded may not work.

the remote works much like the Wii remote worked. you wave it around and a cursor appears on the screen and it allows you to click on things. its one of the best remotes i have ever used. im amazed that no other manufacturer uses this functionality as it makes using the remote MUCH easier. plus you get a full QWERTY keybpard on the back of the remote. my only complaint on the remote is that the keys are not back lit and that the secondary functions for each key are in a pinkish red color that makes it very hard to see in the. for example look at the 'L' key and you will see that is the key for a period '.' and you can barely make out the period.

it will work very well with your STB, especially if you use the IR blaster cable and set it up as a video input...primetime is really cool.

the ONE thing to keep in mind is that you are buying a thousand dollar GTV device, as compared to the small STB's that are far less of an investment. if Google decides to change something (like the recent Jelly Bean update) you will be stuck with what the TV offers. something like that will not sting as much if your little STB got an update you didnt like, compared to a full on thousand dollar TV.

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Also you should be aware that the Jellybean update removes Flash from the Chrome browser. Depending on how much you use the browser and what web sites you use - that might be an issue for you. My advice is that if you have favorite web sites that you 'must have' - check to see if they use Flash before you make your purchase decision. Someday HTML5 will completely supplant Flash - but Flash will still be around for a while primarily because there is currently no DRM included with the HTML5 standard. It's mostly the premium content providers that still use Flash to protect their content with DRM.

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Is this the TV:

60" Class Cinema 3D 1080p 120 Hz LED TV with Google TV (59.5" diagonal)
    60GA6400(56)

$2,099.99 Suggested Price

Lord Ha Mercy!!!

I'm guessing it is. All I can say is that Google TV is too limited as it is now to justify such an investment. I would go for the non-smart LG 3D model and then ya have the option to add any devices to enhance it as they become available. You have lots of options going that route. But if LG pulls a Logitech on ya, you will be stuck w/a very expensive non-upgradable large screen TV.

All I can advise is proceed w/extreme caution...

Carl

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Carlszone

Before anyone suggests this, I'll just say that altho you can always add a device into the mix, that kinda defeats the purpose of buying a Smart TV. And it still increases the overall cost.

But please post your impressions if you decide to go ahead w/this purchase. That price has my heart rate going a lil faster than I'm used to.

6. ericd

ericd Active Member

I've got a 42" LG 6400 and love the GTV integration into the TV. With that said, the 3D portion of the TV is over-rated. After the first day or two I got over the whole 3D craze and rarely if ever use it.

As for the remote, as Fomol620 stated, the pointer works great as a mouse but the QWERTY side of the remote is maddening. Trying to find the period or any other secondary key is almost impossible and the constant flipping back and forth when trying to type anything into a website will drive you crazy. The TV should work great with your satelite box using the supplied IR blaster. Sideloading apps is fairly easy if you have another android powered device that can access the playstore or you already have the APK's.

Honestly though, even though I enjoy my LG, it's hard for me to recommend spending $2000 on a new one right now. Google tv is kind of in a weird place right now. After its almost complete no-show at CES, I'm not sure how much longer it's going to remain a viable option in the smart TV world. Before I shelled out the kind of $$$ you're looking at for a 60", I'd at least wait until May and see what kind of announcements Google makes about the future of the platform

• Like Like x 2
  7. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Just curious how Apple deals with DRM and they don't use Flash in their mobile products? Is the DRM then app specific? On our GTV's do the apps use Chrome in an indirect way? For example, is the Amazon Instant Video app something that requires flash?

I assume Netflix is not flash nor is the You Tube app?

Just a bit confused regarding this whole Flash thing. I mainly use iDevices and I haven't felt I was missing anything major, except for some ads. I also find my Samsung tablet which is using OS 4.x to not be restricted and it doesn't have flash. It does have a Hulu Plus app though.

How is everyone else dealing with the lack of FLASH while we are still concerned about it with our Google TV's?

Philip

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

DRM is currently not included in the HTML5 standard - however companies can utilize their own non-standard solutions for DRM with HTML5. I gather that is not an easy undertaking to make work effectively - so that's why many companies just use Flash. Netflix created their own non-standard DRM solution for use with HTML5. Here is a link to an interesting discussion about DRM in HTML5:

DRM In HTML5: What Is Tim Berners-Lee Thinking? | Techdirt

While it's true most of the web uses HTML5 nowadays - IMO that is a misleading statement for GTV users - because much of the 'premium' content that is desirable to be watched on a TV - is the content that is required to be secured with DRM (and a lot of it still uses Flash to do so). Many of the more popular web sites with GTV users still rely on Flash such as ESPN, HBOGO, all the TV network web sites, FOX sports, UStream, Crackle and a bunch of others.

Another secondary reason some sites still use Flash is that adaptive streaming isn't fully supported yet with HTML5.

Now to play devil's advocate. Some say that the exclusion of Flash on Apple devices is 'proof' that Flash isn't necessary - however then couldn't one also surmise that Amazon bringing Flash back for the Kindle Fire is proof that "Flash ain't dead yet"? -:)

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-quietly-re-emerges-amazon-s-kindle-fire.html

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Carlszone

Hi

On my PC I have a choice to play Amazon Instant videos via Adobe Flash or Silver Light. Once I downloaded Silver Light then the videos open in that player by Default unless my DSL bandwidth falls below a certain level. Then I have to switch back to Flash.

Apple has its own players. Their apps are optimized for their system. But it is a very closed system where everything is setup for them. And I don't believe they have a full browser but I could be wrong.

Netflix began moving away from Flash & SilverLight around June of last year. They still use SL on their website but their apps use HTML 5. For certain devices their apps may still use Flash until the company upgrades those devices. Remember how long it took us to get AIV HD streaming on the 2nd Gen devices. Many if not all of the 1st gen devices were left behind and never got the update that allowed for the Amazon app which is the only way we can play HD content.

Hopefully someone else can address your more technical questions...

Carl

10. pokerwoody

pokerwoody New Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I really like my vizo co-star and all the available side-loaded apps. It it wasnt for my wife i could cut the cord. Was thinking of getting this tv and eliminating another device in my home. Everyone has provided good points and feedback. Maybe i will just stick with the co-star and just buy a non google tv. Like some of you pointed out it is easier to change my media player than my tv.

thanks again...

11. bobz

bobz Member

Do not buy Google tv. They killed my tv with the new update.

12. davidt1

davidt1 New Member

I bought my LG 55GA6400 about a month ago for way less than 1K. However, I should have asked questions here like the OP did. It's an OK TV with a low end panel with lots of features that I don't need. The smart part of the TV is anything but smart. Surfing the web is super slow. You are better off with a "dumb" TV that has a quality panel/screen.

• Like Like x 2