Quantcast

Let the Truth be told ... Can the Co-Star play audio encoded as AC3

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by craigdthom, Jan 13, 2013.

1. craigdthom

craigdthom New Member

Hello All,

I am totally new at this so please take it easy ...

I've seen a number of reviews of the Co-star playing the audio of MKV files encoded as AC3 where users say they we successful.

I have yet to be able to do this. I have the latest Co-Star firm ware loaded(3.2) . I have the Plex media server on my Linux Mint machine. I have the Plex client installed on the co-Star ... the Video works excellent, but no Audio for AC3 files

Am I missing something or is it this type of audio just does not play on the Co-Star.

I can play the file from the PC, but not thru the Co-Star ... Is there something else I need to do ... or is it just a fact the Co-Star will not play AC3 audio encoded files

Audio
    Codec Dolby Digital (AC-3)
    Channels Stereo
    Sample Rate 48000 Hz
    Bit rate 192 kbps

2. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Go here http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...io-co-star-reviews-your-hands-experience.html and scroll down to * How I got Mkv files and AC3 audio files to work with Plex via optical out from your TV to a receiver (Thanks To Zevot) ... This maybe what you are looking for, maybe ...(l0l)

• Like Like x 2
  3. craigdthom

craigdthom New Member

The Truth has been told ... and the answer is YES Yes yes

Open Plex and under advanced settings, disable AC3.

That was all I had to do. Audio plays on my TV ( No Optical out .. No receiver .. none of that - It works just like any other file format)
    All of my AC3 encoded audio that did not previous play now plays

the Vizio Co-star is the best!

Thanks Again,
    Craig​

4. amartin

amartin New Member

By your own description of the solution, the answer is no, the co star can't play ac3. You have to convert down using your computer with a program such as plex.

• Like Like x 2
  5. kingzope

kingzope New Member

Thank you!!

It's unbelievable what people will twist to defend their product. It drives me nuts there is no AC3 support other than pass through. I'm hoping that changes when 3.0 releases but I won't hold my breath.

6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

The above video with AC3 5.1 audio plays very well via Plex and PlayPoint are these Players converting the above video audio to AAC Mp3 Channel 2 audio ...

Kingzope, just asking a question, I would like to keep it as civil as possible, thanks in advance ...! Since the new v3.5.0 update have you actually tested AC3 audio playback on the Co-Star via Playpoint, Plex or the new GTVBox "ViMu" (GTVBox) ...?

The reason I'm asking you this question, I have played some movies with AC3 5.1 audio and they have played very well without any type of audio conversion to the best of my knowledge ... I'm wondering did the last v3.5.0 update give us the ability to play AC3 audio or is some type of audio conversion is coming into play ...

7. kingzope

kingzope New Member

Sorry I didn't mean to come off so badly. Rereading my comment I wish I would have reworded it better. I have an external hard drive that houses all my media. I like to keep it locally attached to whatever box is playing the videos. I used to use the WDTV but obviously the UI on that is dated and co-star is light years ahead of it.

Having said that I like to keep it locally attached, I've tested multiple Rips with AC3 Audio every time an update gets put out and they never work. I have all of the above and none will play my files on locally attached storage. If you use Plex on remote files, my understanding is they will play the audio because the video is transcoded. I used to transcode with my xbox and eventually purchased the wdtv because I wasn't a fan of it. I'm not all knowing on AV so you'll have to excuse any misinformation I may have on this, but it appears that my files that are high bitrate transcode poorly overly LAN. This isn't wireless either.

So for me, something like transcoding over plex does not mean the co-star supports AC3 audio. It just means there's a workaround to something that isn't supported and depending on your setup, may not be a solution.

Once again I apologize about my comment. It's been a little frustrating because when I purchased my co-star I was under the impression that it would support my setup and I just don't want someone else with a similar setup to come to these forums and see a post that says YES YES YES and get the wrong impression. It's good to have all the information out there.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mdvalenz

mdvalenz New Member

I check after each update as well. None of my AC3 files will play with audio. I hear a lot of people saying the co-star allows pass through, but it doesn't work over here. My receiver doesn't have HDMI input and the co-star doesn't output audio any other way. My TV plays ac3 files just fine, but the audio isn't passed through to the tv. I hope the upcoming goggle tv ver. 3 update brings support because it is the one thing that is missing.
    Though I would also like the ability to put bookmarks to movies onto the favorites/home screen. My daughter wants to watch the same movie over and over and going through all the menus to play it from an attached USB drive is annoying.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

I have a bunch of movie files on a USB HDD that are MKV/DTS and none of them play via PlayPoint or GTVBox Player and I've come to realize Vizio has not licensed the codec required and currently doesn't even allow for pass-thru either. SO, I contacted the company who makes Freemake Video Converter and am awaiting a response to see if I can convert my MKV/DTS files to MKV/DD (AC3) since I have a Denon AVR2310CI (I think that's my model#) which I believe does support Dolby Digital. Hopefully the Co-Star either has the required codec for DD or supports pass-thru. I'll post an update when I know more.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  10. roll3r

roll3r New Member

I converted all of my DTS audio to AC3 using this: PopCorn MKV AudioConverter 1.87.6 - VideoHelp.com Downloads

Takes about 10 minutes per video. Haven't noticed any loss in quality, channels get mapped appropriately, etc. For freeware, it's actually kinda scary how well/fast/easy this program works. I chose the option to save the DTS audio within the stream as the secondary audio stream. Once the Co-Star is able to handle DTS, or when I move to a box that does support it, I can just open the file in MKVMerge and set the DTS stream to be primary.

• Like Like x 4
  11. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You know KingZope that the wdtv firmware was just finally updated a little while for me at least as they finally got around to removing mediafly and fixing a bunch of bugs . They also implemented the leanback approach to youtube I think. That update was for the wdtv live and not the old original wdtv as I have both. :) What's in this update?

Release 1.06.42 (1/17/2013)
    • Supports iOS and Android WD TV Remote Apps. (WD TV Remote version 1.1 Required)
    • Supports YouTube Leanback.
    • Resolved playback issues when indexing large number of files.
    • Resolved FLAC and OGG Vorbis files no audio output via optical connection.
    • Resolved unable to play ADPCM files.
    • Resolved MP3 audio doesn't work in FLV video container.
    • Resolved music not play correctly from network share when a JPG image is in the same folder.
    • Resolved reboot issues when playing VCD files.
    • Resolved USB drive is active after eject dialog is closed.
    • Resolved Facebook Like/Unlike function of video option bar.
    • Resolved network share doesn't filter media category for Photos.
    • Resolved reboot issues after hot plugging USB keyboard.
    • Resolved HDMI issue with certain TV models displaying a purple screen.
    • Resolved audio sync issue on certain .MOV container.
    • Resolved ISO/VOB 10 minute skip function only skips once.
    • Resolved audio issue when playing VOB/PCM files when set to Stereo.
    • Resolved momentary freeze or lag after FFW or REV video file in .VOB container.
    • Resolved random music playback is not random issue.
    • Resolved device reboot issue when playing slideshow and music from network share.
    • Resolved subtitles colors of subtitles and background are displayed incorrectly.
    • Resolved SRT subtitle outline is transparent.
    • Resolved IDX and SUB subtitles without end time info in header are not displayed.
    • Resolved file types are not filtered while browsing videos in Network Shares.
    • Resolved several general Flingo user interface issues.
    • Resolved several general Dailymotion user interface and playback issues.
    • Resolved video playback issue with certain MPEG2 video files.
    • Resolved several Pandora user interface issue.
    • Resolved system reboot issue when copying multiple files.
    • Resolved choppy playback issue with VCD video files.
    • Resolved HDMI video output settings being forced to unsupported resolution when setting to auto.
    • --------------------------------------------
    • General Info
      - YouTube has been replaced with YouTube Leanback.
      - Blockbuster video download service and Mediafly have been removed from the list of Online Services.

12. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

I'm definitely going to check that out. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk HD

13. craigdthom

craigdthom New Member

Sorry for the confusion on the question ..
    I guess the more appropriate question was ... Can an AC3 encoded audio file play using the Co-Star unit and that answer is Yes,

But I think we can all agree ... The CoStar can not play AC3 encoded audio using the CoStar alone(file on USB directly connected to unit)

Thanks for all the help .. I am enjoying playing my MKV AC3 encode files using my CoStar unit(via PLEX)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  14. amartin

amartin New Member

craigdthom, in trying to clarify, in your last post, you added more confusion:

This is not true. When you play via plex, the co-star is not playing an ac3 encoded audio file. The answer is:

The co-star cannot play AC3 encoded audio files. You need to either:

1 - re-encode the file in non-ac3 format using a converter program, or
    2 - use an on-the-fly converter such as plex to pass non-ac3 audio to the unit.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DanCar

DanCar New Member

16. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

I do not use Plex but do use GTVBox Player/ViMu and swear I can play Dolby Digital AC3. I know DTS is not possible. The author of ViMu says if you have a receiver (I do) AC3 is possible and if no receiver then use AAC.

Sent from my Eclipsed DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2.4.11

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  17. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

Perhaps that means the CoStar supports DD pass-thru (hence why a receiver is necessary)

18. amartin

amartin New Member

Hmm, maybe that's what is confusing the folks here.

Myself, I don't know why you'd want ac-3 without having a receiver decode it.

So it appears that the only thing the co-star can't do is decode ac3 and output a different format(for those without an ac-3 capable receiver).

19. ktklein72

ktklein72 Active Member

Yeah so it seems a receiver is needed for DD AC3 and if you want DTS that ain't happening either... I guess if you have a CoStar but no receiver then AAC is the next best option.