Quantcast

Less than 24 Hours and unsure if this is the right TV for me?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by parrotfish3, Dec 27, 2013.

1. parrotfish3

parrotfish3 New Member

I picked up a 55GA6400 yesterday, a steal at $899..;)..HH Gregg price match of Frys one day deal.
    I was so excited to get this fired up and have to admit I read most reviews and never picked up on the fact that IR blasters are mandatory to maintain single remote. Not a dealbreaker, but seems like a backwards step. My 5 year old Panasonic had a great HDMI control, one button and three components came to life.
    Had a horrible initial network setup experience--resolved in less than 3 hours. Not a dealbreaker.
    Still have not had time to troubleshoot the horribly clipped audio through HD channels. Even without external amplifier, I am getting a blip every minute or so with no sound-like someone hit mute button and immediatley hit it again. Unsure if a needed HDMI cable upgrade is the underlying culprit?
    Assuming all of those issues are resolved, I feel I may have just bought a soon to be extinct machine. I have owned WEB TV, and several other boxes, and none have ever delivered.
    What says the forum about investing in GTV these days? I want to Love the TV, picture is Good to great and on paper this looks like a great concept.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Well your model is supposed to receive the Jellybean OS update - so I don't think it's in any danger of becoming extinct soon. Do you have the Jellybean update yet? If you really like the TV - in the future if the GTV part of your television becomes 'outdated' - you could simply buy an android TV box for approx. $99 and connect it to your LG GA6400.

Do you have a cable TV box? If so the first thing I would try is connecting your cable/satellite service to another TV to see if you still get the sound problem. If you can isolate that the sound problem is indeed coming from your LG GTV television - then I suggest trying a factory reset.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  3. retroben

retroben Active Member

The fact that all TVs with Android built-in are almost always destined to be in the scrap heap leaves me enraged at Google for not yet (if ever) releasing the Jelly Bean update on the much more stable and less expensive Set-Top boxes like GS7/GS8.

I spent every last penny of my spendable money on a GS7 at the full price of $200 plus tax,warranty,and HDMI wire at Target four months before they drastically went down in price.
    I wanted a Kindle Fire instead,but my jerk dad would not allow me to have one.
    I could have barely bought a Laptop seven months ago when I had $300+ dollars,but my jerk dad would not allow me to have one.

The experience I am having with my GS7.
    I have never needed to use factory reset even once.
    I had some trouble with it in the past,but now it is better than ever (despite REL11's root blocking patch) with a memory booster app,and even more thanks to a working ad blocker and a new side-loaded benchmark app I exploit for an insane performance boost by running the 2D and 3D tests.
    And that is with nearly 100 apps installed,most of them being side-loaded.
    The only con is that it goes slower and everything is skippy when using 1080P resolution.
    I hope that Sony might fix this in the future if they do not screw us over because of the stupid release of the expensive PS4.

If I were you to begin with,I would have bought a Laptop or even a Desktop since they are not as prone to defects as Smart TVs are,they are much more customizable,and can do many more things including the ability to emulate the Android OS including Jelly Bean.
    Maybe even KitKat in the near future,if not already.
    It is not wrong if you emulate the free apps,or even if you install properly bought apps from a phone/tablet of yours into the emulator while using the matching user profile.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I think the LG models offer HDMI-CEC for control of other devices with HDMI-CEC, use the IR for IR control when that is needed. I don't have much that can be controlled by HDMI-CEC, my equipment is older or less expensive so I need the IR control and with 3 systems being controlled by IR, it all works great.

Hopefully somebody using HDMI control can comment on how well it works with LG Google TV and what equipment is being controlled. Did you try and were unable to get it working or did you just assume because IR transmitters are included that is what you must use?

Despite what Retroben states, it is my belief the LG Google TVs are the most stable and best Google TV devices sold to date but I don't own one, I own several different set top models.

5. parrotfish3

parrotfish3 New Member

I am excited to dive into it and thanks for the tip. I will check it out. The only change to the system was the TV and the problem did not exist before TV. As "upgrades" go these days, rarely is anything just plug and play. A factory reset may be needed when I am able to spend more time dialing it in.
    Has anyone added three headed IR blasters, with 15+foot cords. I need to route through the wall for the no cord showing look my wife demands and I prefer.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am using triple emitter IR cables, I think 6' long, it requires very precise placement but it has worked great for me. I have three Google TV systems and use the triple emitter cables in all. I will assume 15' will work but signal strength is lower per emitter so I would suggest high quality cables to maintain acceptable strength at that distance. I am using very inexpensive IR cables, these:

3pcs Triple IR Emitter Mini Stick on Infrared Blink Eye Cable Lot Pack | eBay

Be sure to get the proper connector size whichever IR emitter cable you decide on.

7. parrotfish3

parrotfish3 New Member

Audio problem solved--bad HDMI port on cable box. Really enjoy the blue ray picture on this set. The normal tv watching will take some time to calibrate this thing. Maybe a thread search will yield some settings to try, so many settings to consider. Looking forward to learning all this TV can do.

8. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

I believe LG has never supported HDMI-CEC in their GoogleTV devices. It's odd that they are the only GTV devices that don't support it. There is some talk about it in this thread http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7537

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  9. parrotfish3

parrotfish3 New Member

I have routed all cables through wall, IR Emitters working, and optical cable to receiver. I signed up for fiber tv and Internet and routed a hard wired internet connection to tv. The direct connection makes Network functions seamless. Once set up and calibrated could not imagine a much better set up. Not being able to access flash based media is beyond disappointing. Does anyone know of a way to watch flash based media?

10. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The best reported Flash workaround for LG GTV televisions on the Jellybean OS - is to use Splashtop in conjunction with a PC:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...d-flash-workaround-gtv-jellybean-devices.html

If Splashtop doesn't appeal to you - then you can try sideloading an alternate browser that supports Flash such as the Puffin Browser or Flashfox browser. However the video quality (on the LG GTVs) is reported to not be very good using alternate browsers:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/lg-internet-tv/9105-lg-update-can-i-get-flash-back.html

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014