Quantcast

Leaving co star on/off

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by seanwi, Oct 12, 2012.

1. seanwi

seanwi New Member

Hi there
    Are you co-star users leave it "on" all day long ,or do you turn it "off" after use?
    Is there any risk to leave the co-star "on" all the time?

I wll be glad to hear your opinion a bout this issue and your regular usage of the co-star product.

2. herculese1

herculese1 New Member

I got mine this week and thus far I have been shutting it off. I wish it let you to still watch your cable through the hdmi pass through while the costar was off but it cant. I read somewhere that someone had an overheating issue with it and the called customer service who told them you are not supposed to leave it on. I would like to leave it on all the time so i can keep my tv input set to that hdmi setting so every time i want to turn on the tv i dont have to wait for the costar to boot up. Not to mention if i leave it connected like that my wife can not figure out how to turn on the tv. at the moment my cable box is connected to the tv through component and also have the hdmi go to the costar. so i currently switch the source to hdmi when i want to use the costar but when im done i switch it back to component.

3. MSmithGTV

MSmithGTV New Member

I have the same concerns. It's all the wife factor. If I don't leave it on, I have to cross my fingers that my wife will be able to figure out how to watch TV when I'm not around. Seems simple, but my setup is already complicated, so adding another device doesn't help the matter. If I leave it on though, I have overheating concerns. Like herculese1 said...too bad the hdmi pass through doesn't continue to work when the unit is off.

4. seanwi

seanwi New Member

So? you turned off the co-star?

5. MSmithGTV

MSmithGTV New Member

I've only had it 1 night. So yes, but I'm not sure what the long term plan is.

6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I turn mine off to, also I turn my USB cooling fan off too ... Even a horse needs rest ...!(lol)

7. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The Sony GS7 has a standby mode that permits pass through to still function. I use that. Powering up doesn't take super long, but too long nevertheless, and yes it would sabotage the DVR for the rest of the family.

8. seanwi

seanwi New Member

Do you think lf leaving co star turning on all the time will cause damage to the unit?

9. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Vizio seems to have some concerns, but if you keep it adequately ventilated or better yet ... actively cooled, it should be fine.