Quantcast

Launcherpro Plus as app launcher (Home) for the Revue

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by tamanaco, Dec 21, 2011.

1. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

I just wanted to share my experience, so far, with LauncherPro Plus as my Revue application launcher. Notice that I'm using the Plus version which allows widget resizing and a bunch of Home screens modifications. You can add several Home screens and the launcher comes with a few "native' widgets like the scrollable bookmarks widget which I find very useful. The toolbar on the right can also be made to scroll without switching Home page. I had a paid version license that I used to use in my Android Smartphone, but I switched to Go Launcher a while ago. I have attached some pictures to give you an idea of what it looks like on my Revue and to show some of the apps I have found useful. I defined two Home pages. One with a clock-weather, stock widgets and a scrollable bookmark widget and the other with frequently used applications shortcuts and some Media Players, Clock and weather widgets. When I'm not interacting with the Revue I usually have it on the home page with the stocks playing a Pandora station in the background. So far, I have not experienced any memory issues with these set of widgets running.

The first thing you'll notice when you switch to Launcherpro is that you don't get the live TV and TV sound as background. You can get a wallpaper or a live wallpaper like the one I'm using from Beautiful widgets. This live wallpaper changes according to the weather and the time of the day (Sun, Moon, Stars and Clouds). When I took these pictures it was early in the morning, but cloudy outside. Most of the applications and widgets you see here work as expected. I have some issues with Slacker foreclosing when I reboot and with the Logitech and aVia Media players indexing and displaying album art. Another thing missing is the little notification widget on the toolbar of the Revue launcher which displays the number of pending notifications in a little red bubble. In order to get any notifications that I have missed, I have to hit the Menu key and select Notifications. Two get the home screens side by side as shown in the third picture I just press the Home key once and then select the Home screen that I want to bring to the foreground. I can also click and hold the mouse on a Home screen and drag it to flip to another Home page. A key application to go back and forth between the Revue launcher and LauncherPro is the Home Switcher for FROYO. It also allow you to set either launcher as default. Believe me, it works fine with GB. I also found that for some URL shortcuts I can only get the generic red flag shortcut icon. I was also unable to create a shortcut for the Live TV icon as this appears to be a Logitech hidden function. The 4th picture show what the app drawer looks like in launcherpro.

Btw, out of the frustration of having to use my Smartphone camera to capture the screens, I searched and found a method to capture TV screens using the Revue itself - I posted a link with instructions in this forum.

Let me know if you have any questions related Launcherpro on the Revue or if you have any Launcherpro tips to share.

$2011-12-19 10.56.25.jpg $2011-12-19 10.56.56.jpg $2011-12-19 10.57.15.jpg $2011-12-19 10.57.55.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. bkdg100

bkdg100 New Member

see a icon for "marketaccess" , what ver and how is it working for you ?

3. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Can you create a shortcut to spotlight? I have been working on this with launcher but to no avail. I do have a shortcut to live tv I will post that in a bit.

4. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

MarketAccess is not working.... It requires Root. I was looking for a way to emulate another device and remove the GoogleTV market restrictions. I just forgot to uninstall it.

5. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

I was able to create the Spotlight shortcut with its icon on the Revue launcher, but not on Launcherpro. On Launcherpro I can get the shortcut with the generic bookmark icon.

Yes... post the steps you took to get the Live TV shortcut on a LauncherPro Home screen.

6. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Please layout how you did it with a generic bookmark icon.

7. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

1. Go to Spotlight Gallery - Google TV using the Revue browser
    2. Press the Menu button in the keyboard
    3. Select Save on the top row
    4. Select Add to home screen (I also add it to my bookmarks and back them up using BookmarkSD)
    5. You should get a generic (red flag) bookmark shortcut on your home screen. (I'd like to be able to rename and change the icons of these generic bookmarks, but I have yet to figure it out)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  8. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

To create LiveTV icon go to launcher create shortcut, select activities then tv then com.google.tv.player.playeractivity

I am editing this, I did it awhile ago and it's not working like it use to?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  9. sarreq

sarreq Member

if only there were a "Live TV" Live Wallpaper.... and GTV supported LWPs

10. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

Thanks... I was able to create the TV shortcut with its corresponding icon using the steps below, but when I click the shortcut I just get a black screen. Is this what's happening in your setup?

Create Shortcut->Activities (Launcherpro)-> Scroll down to TV (pull down menu)-> Select com.google.tv.player.playeractivity

11. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Yes my tv is doing that also. I tried all three options under tv and they don't work the way we want. I did it before so I must be missing something. It's one of those options under activities.

Can you share where you got launcher pro plus, I can't seem to find it.

12. tamanaco

tamanaco New Member

After you install Launcherpro you can buy the Launcherpro Plus Unlocker (License) from the Android market using another Android device. Then using the LauncherPro Preferences you'll enter the email associated with the purchase (Paypal in my case) and enter the license number you get when you buy the Unlocker.

EDIT:
    To get back to the TV if instead of selecting com.google.tv.player.playeractivity you select com.google.tv.player.SelectDeviceDialogActivity you get a pop up that allow you to select your input device (cable box) or other. Once selected you'll get the video from that source. It's a two step process, but it works.

Btw, there are a whole bunch of options to under Activities that need to be tested. Some them work from a created shortcut and others don't. I guess we'll get to find out which ones are useful... one at a time. I just added an icon for the FTP activity for my home page and it allows me to enable/disable the FTP function in one click.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  13. Jmprnbr1

Jmprnbr1 New Member

Did anyone get the live tv shortcut to work or a bookmark widget that shows a preview of the site. These are the last two things for my system.