Quantcast

Latest Tweet from GTVdev

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by towboy123, Oct 11, 2011.

1. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Final Android SDK add-on released for the upcoming release of #Google TV; check out post http://goo.gl/fyAXv for more details & samplesFinal Android SDK add-on released for the upcoming release of #Google TV; check out post http://goo.gl/fyAXv for more details & samples

And what's inside the link

A few weeks back we released the preview of the Google TV add-on for Android SDK. Today, we're releasing the final add-on for the upcoming release of Google TV software.
    The differences in this version from the preview release are minor:

• We heard your feedback, and the Action Bar now renders horizontally, in line with other Android devices. We've published code for a left-side navigation bar since that may work better for navigating with D-Pad when you have vertically scrolling lists. Check out an example app built using the sample code here.
    • There are additional keys on the screen for quick access, e.g., picture-in-picture, fast forward, channel up/down, etc. Please note that these keys will only work with the next Android SDK Tools, revision 14.
    We're very excited about the strong interest from the developer community in bringing their apps to TV, and we look forward to continuing to deliver powerful tools which enable innovative forms of entertainment for the living room.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I wonder what will happen to all of these Google TV apps that are currently being designed to run on the Intel x86 platform - when it is currently being reported that the next generation of Google TV hardware will run ARM chips? Or will there be a next generation of Google TV that runs on an Intel tablet?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  3. Cygnus

Cygnus New Member

The 3-4 weeks release date is looking more true.

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

When I was reading tomboy's post, I was thinking the same exact thing??

I can't imagine that gtv would sorta render our first gen. obsolete though.. [​IMG]

5. Trini718

Trini718 Member

i'm guessing HC should be here anytime soon?

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know what this means but if it turns out that better processors for Google TV products are coming and better applications to use those processors which won't be available with the first generation products, that is progress and I won't complain. The first generation Revue works great for my needs but the market hasn't embraced the product and the market hasn't responded well to the Sony Google TV line either so something better may be required. I won't lose any sleep worrying about it and will just continue to use my two Logitech Revues.

7. slaZ

slaZ New Member

I'm not familiar with the GTV SDK nor whether the next GTV is based on ARM, but in the past for the standard Android SDK it allows developers to develop apps based on Android API's that are platform independent. It's the Android NDK that lets developer develop apps that are platform dependent (by creating native libraries, etc.).

So I would assume the apps that can be developed based on GTV SDK would run on any GTV platform regardless of whether it's x86 or ARM based. Just a guess.

Perhaps real GTV app developers can confirm?

8. futuregerald

futuregerald New Member

2-3 weeks now :D

9. twiddler

twiddler New Member

In 3-4 weeks they will release a statement that HC will be released in 3-4 weeks!

10. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

I think it was actually 34 weeks... xD

11. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

I am not a dev, but I thought the point of having a SDK is you can compile your app for either x86 or ARM (or whatever platform), the code on the dev side should be the same.