Quantcast

Koush has seen Honeycomb on Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by funkybrunk, Apr 18, 2011.

1. funkybrunk

funkybrunk New Member

Koush, the renowned android developer (Rom Manager, ClockworkMod, offered job by Sony, turned it down because of how they treated Geohot) sent out two tweets today, and I quote:

"Android 3.1 on this Google TV is pretty sweet."

followed by

"Sorry kids, NDA :)"

we might be closer to Honeycomb than we thought.

• Like Like x 4
  2. dandroid

dandroid Administrator Staff Member

Wow thats cool! I sure hope the revue will handle it :)

3. DCAlexandria

DCAlexandria Member

The revue has more than enough power to handle it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. harley man

harley man New Member

thats good news hope it happens soon

5. galfert

galfert Active Member

Good news and signs that Google TV isn't dead. But if I had to choose between Honeycomb and Android Market I would choose Android Market.

6. jarrettv

jarrettv New Member

I'll take both honeycomb and market on a google tv device. If that Sony 46" gets upgraded to it, I'd go there and buy it.

You should watch on your plasma 50" tv and dream. Has anyone hooked their Xoom up to a big tv?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  7. harley man

harley man New Member

I Do not have the zoom but I have hook up my iPad2 to my 52 Inch tv to play a racing game real racer hd2 and its cool

8. csb059

csb059 New Member

I think one would have to assume any update of the Andriod version, sans a right of the second point one, will include the market. Although technically Koush didn't see a GTV based on Honeycomb. His tweet stated Android 3.1, not 3.0. So sounds like he has a GTV based on Ice Cream.

9. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Google TV has been around for quite a while but news about it has been buried amidst all the cheering for tablets and smartphones. The search giant wants to give back a bit of focus to this project by updating it to Honeycomb.

Devs got a first look at the new Google TV interface on Android 3.1. Going back to regular TV programming should be much easier this time around plus support for notifications has also been baked in. The big screen will also get full ADB support giving devs room to tinker around it, and an SDK will be available as well. Both of those will come later but Google is giving early access through the Fishtank program so developers can test apps on units without the need to modify their hardware.

The talk mostly was discussion on how to adapt apps to the larger screen of a television. There’s already a bit of fragmentation of the marketplace between tablets and smartphones. Putting up another screen into the mix will definitely be a challenge that devs have to face.

Apps have to be, among other things, be optimized for landscape view and for D-pad input. That last one is now easier to implement since the new version of Honeycomb has built-in support for a slew of USB devices.

I personally have been waiting for Android to grace my HDTV but alas, there are no devices available for this platform in my location. Android really has the capability of creating a better TV experience once this gets off the ground but for now, expect the first units to come in later this year (no products were announced during the talk itself).

By Glenn Santos
    5-12-11
    Source​