Quantcast

Kit-Kat/Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Nov 3, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

With Android 4.4 KitKat, Google’s biggest blow to Microsoft isn’t against Windows Phone. It’s against Microsoft Office. You see, KitKat ships with Quickoffice, letting you edit Microsoft Office documents, spreadsheets, and presentations on the go, without paying a dime, straight out of the box.

This tidbit was largely lost in the news yesterday, given the large number of improvements and new features that KitKat offers. Yet it’s a very big deal: every Android user that upgrades to KitKat will get Google’s Quickoffice, and every new Android device (starting with

the Nexus 5) that ships with KitKat or higher will get access to Quickoffice.

Google acquired Quickoffice back in June 2012. In December 2012, the company released

Quickoffice for iPad, making it exclusively available for free to its Apps customers. In April 2013, it followed up with free Android and iPhone versions

for Apps customers as well. Last month, Google released

Quickoffice for free, making it available to all Android and iOS users.

Google Attacks Microsoft: Android 4.4 Ships with Quickoffice

(Plus this: Everything We Currently Know About Google's Android 4.4 KitKat OS )

2. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

As much as I don't care for MS Office it isn't one of these clones that is going to make a dent in Office's revenue stream. Companies have a stake is customized procedures with Office, email, formats that you don't have to tinker with. Office has always been Microsoft's ace in the hole and as long as people are addicted to it they have a powerful platform for pushing any number of products.

Word has probably done more harm than good by discouraging neat alternatives but people keep insisting on using it. It's really unfortunate but I don't think Office is going down anytime soon. I wish Google luck in trying but just get discouraged every time I read the masses wishing for Office on the iPad.

Philip