Quantcast

Kindle Fire Review: Changing The Landscape Of The Tablet Game

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 14, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

2. CatfishRivers

Amazon Kindle Fire review [Video] - latimes.com (click for full review)

"The Amazon Kindle Fire can't be judged on its hardware alone, and that works out in the Fire's favor, because the hardware is far from great and left me underwhelmed.

However, all the things you can do with the Fire, the cloud-based services that Amazon provides and the massive offering of e-books, music, movies, TV shows and apps that the Seattle online retail giant offers in its first tablet is currently matched only by Apple's iPad, iTunes and App Store."

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  3. CatfishRivers

Amazon's Kindle Fire burns hot as the No. 2 tablet — Mobile Technology News (click for full article)

"Quanta, the company that builds Amazon's Kindle Fire tablet, has already shipped between 3 and 4 million of the devices. DigiTimes, which monitors hardware makers in Asia, reported the news on Friday. As if that wasn't enough evidence about the potential success Amazon could see with the Kindle Fire, DigiTimes reports that production orders going forward are increasing.

The data from DigiTimes gains credence from iSuppli, which also reported news related to Amazon Kindle Fire sales on Friday. The research company estimates Amazon will sell 3.9 million Kindle Fire tablets this quarter. If correct, Amazon will have leapfrogged sales of all other tablets based on Google's Android operating system."

4. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

So, can this or any other tablet match what we're capable of doing with GTV? The portability factor is a big plus. Right around the time that GTV was introduced, I had written in a notebook about a Google Chrome OS net-book and tablet that were expected. Some of the features were to be: 1) Will use flash memory and cloud computing/storage. 2) All applications will be web-based. 3) No worry about viruses. 4) Linux-based. 5) Strong focus on speed. [My aside: There also exists a Google Chrome browser.] 6) The netbooks will be available late 2010. 7) Will have similar interface as Chrome browser. 8) Acer, HP and maybe Dell will launch netbooks with Chrome OS.

5. CatfishRivers

The thing about the Kindle Fire is that yes it's portable - however it doesn't have an HDMI port to connect it to the TV.

I had read that there might be a possibility (either now or in the future) to use an HDMI converter that would plug into the USB port. Since I don't own a Kindle Fire I can't confirm on if it has this functionality yet. (I read about it on an Amazon forum as a possibility).

The next generation of the Kindle Fire hardware will likely come with an HDMI port (and a more expensive price tag).

6. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

What's needed is a portable/mobile GTV. The real problem, though, is where most have unlimited internet access in the home, mobile service can't piggyback off of that service, but rather need to sign-on to a separate service plan. That bottleneck is hindering mobile internet usage. In the United States, it might be different.