Quantcast

Kind of Disappointed / False Advertisement

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by gidero, Feb 1, 2012.

1. gidero

gidero New Member

I received a Sony Blueray player (powered by Google TV) for christmas. I have Direct TV. I did research on the product first hand, so I know the complaints, but I never thought I wouldnt be able to do a simple thing like WATCH FREE TV THROUGH MY BROWSER. If I got to ABC.com, CBS, or NBC, I should be able to watch the programs that they offer FOR FREE through an internet browser. Instead I get some ridiculous message saying that my program cant be watch through google tv. Why didn't work out some sort of deal with the major networks? The Chrome browser crashes ALL of the time, and I cant find a patch/solution for it anywhere. I do have direct tv, and its nice that my blueray player will tell me whats on tv, and how many minutes are left to a program, but I have a direct tv guide. This option is useless. Again, I have to pay for tv shows that I watch for free on the internet? That makes no sense, and its very irritating being directed to Amazon.com 90% of the time I try to watch a program. The games made for google tv are choppy, and look like they were created in 1984. The market is full of useless aps. Am I missing something?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

What false advertisement have you seen? Do you have a link or ad description? As far as those networks blocking Google TV, unless that is a violation of US law I don't see how Google could negotiate anything. Do you think Google should have paid the networks to not block Google TV? Hulu and the networks blocking streaming media players like Google TV from accessing the sites is unfortunate but I can't blame Google. I think it is a mistake to block viewers from advertising funded programming and hope that changes but so far there is no indication it will.

I don't know what your intended use for Google TV is but for my needs, the product has been excellent.

3. misfit410

misfit410 New Member

Google TV was made to offer the best of the web and a better means of browsing the TV services you already have, it delivers all of these things and more, it may not do everything we desire it to do, it but does more than any other product does.
    the reality is, we bought into an experiment, they learned from their failures and the boxes we have will no longer be relevant to the future of google tv.. when we get arm based units, we will have the apps we are missing... it's just a risk we took and my year with the logitech revue more than earned it's $99 price tag... and I will be getting the vizio setup box on day 1.

4. gidero

gidero New Member

You're right misfit410. It's the price you pay when you buy a new product.

Chrisg8, yes, false advertising. They made it seem like you would be able to access shows through your web browser via Google Tv blueray player. And YES, I do think they should have worked out a deal with the major networks before selling this product. I'm not the only one who thinks so. Why not blame Google? It's kind of stupid to create such a great product, and not be able to use it to its fullest potential. Yes, I love my google tv blueray, and its "neat" to be able to look at facebook on my 42inch tv, but It would be EVEN BETTER if the shows that I watched for FREE on my PC, could be accessed on my "Google TV/ Fully Live TV integration system". PERIOD.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Recently NBC.com has been working with GTV.

In the past NBC had blocked GTV. Then it worked only occasionally (as if their blocking mechanism was sometimes faulty). However it's been working for a few weeks now continuously. I just tried NBC and it's still working.

So I'm not sure if NBC has officially unblocked GTV - or if it's a glitch.

6. gidero

gidero New Member

Thanks for the Tip!! :)

7. ChrisG8

I still haven't seen the false advertising you claim you have seen. I for one am glad that Google didn't avoid releasing the product because some networks block Google TV. My point is simple if the networks block Google TV, there is nothing Google TV can do about that, it has nothing to do with Google TV, it is the right of the networks to do so.

8. gidero

gidero New Member

It IS the right of the Network to do so, but why create a product if you can't use it. My point is this, it was bad business not to come to some sort of agreement with the major networks. THAT'S not smart. As far as the false advertising, look on their official website. I was constantly on it before I bought my blueray player. It's very misleading to a new consumer. FACT. I even read on the message board where some of the google apps/sites arent compatible with the sony/google blueray player. WTF.

9. ChrisG8

Wow, you just don't get it. I would have liked to have had a romantic relationship with Halle Berry, I can't negotiate that, at least not this lifetime. That doesn't mean I should spend the rest of my life by myself. It would be nice if Google TV had access to the networks streaming web sites but that can't happen so please don't avoid releasing the product because of that issue, especially since waiting will have no impact. If the networks blocking Google TV are doing so because they are afraid of the changes to their business model and don't want consumers to have access to free and easy TV programming with inexpensive boxes, I am glad they didn't win that battle by preventing my access to a product I would like to use.

I guess there was no false advertisement, I haven't seen you provide anything. One of the silliest complaints I have seen about this product now is that Google TV shouldn't have been released if some networks block access to their sites. In the early '80s some studios didn't want programming to be available on consumer videotape and some sued Sony for selling VCRs which allowed consumers to record and watch at their convenience. Since Universal didn't want us to watch their programs using a VCR, that would have been a good reason to not buy a VCR in 1982?

I think the best chance to get networks to quit blocking streaming internet players is to release these products, not releasing the products guarantees streaming players will never have access to network sites.

10. ChrisG8

I don't know why it is working, but it is. For a while a month or so ago, I could access the Fox site but I haven't tried that recently and since no one is stating it works, apparently it doesn't now. NBC episode streaming was slow to load but once loaded, worked fine.

11. gidero

gidero New Member

No YOU don't seem to get it, and I have countless people who are on my side. Just look around. Look on this message board. People are NOT satisfied with this product. My post says "Kind of Disappointed". I don't hate this product. And yes, the advertisements for the Google/blueray are misleading. I can't make you see what you don't want to see. No matter how many pointless analogies you tried to throw at me, it is what it is. Why are there so many "Online TV" apps popping up for Google TV? People want to watch the programs that they watch for free on their PC THROUGH this device. Why is that so hard to understand? It's really not up for debate. It's a FACT. I'm not going to pay for a television show when I can watch it on Demand or on my PC for free. This is an good product, but Google dropped the ball on this one.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Not that I want to get involve with this wonderful back and forth between you two but lines like this always get me.

I just want to point out, that Hitler had bunch of people behind him too. It doesn't make him right either. Neither were the actions of Pontius Pilate and look what happened then. Just sayin'

The problem with that statement is that much of the content we watch has limitations set by copyright and licensing agreements. Therefore, "what the networks or content providers will allow" and "what people want to do" may not necessarily be the same thing. As Chris has tried to explain, this is beyond the control of Google.

While I certainly do agree in the fact that this "hostile" environment is repressing much of Google TV's potential, the onus falls upon the content owners to alleviate it. Google can wine and dine them, even to go as far as to try and sell their souls, and give up every penny of profit they have ever made. The crux of the matter is the content owners and networks still can (and apparently will) say, "No!"

13. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Here here, I agree 100 percent with what you are saying.

Sent from my iPhone 4 via TapaTalk

14. mdovell

mdovell New Member

Licensing agreements go back and forth, this has happened for decades.

here's a few examples.

Back in the early 80's Coleco won exclusive rights to "computer" versions of Donkey King from Nintendo. They showed at a trade show on a Coleco Adam computer...the issue was that the Adam was just a colecovision with some extra hardware...It ticked off other companies that had the right to the console version...

In NYC if the YES network and Time Warner don't agree to terms you don't see yankees games..even if you live across the street.

Markets gets iffy once broadcasting is defeated as a concept. For example the NFL shows games on most over the air tv networks (there's just a tad on the nfl network). Is a over the air tv station (i.e. public broadcast) for the whole country or just that market? There's a company trying to stream every over the air station claiming just that. Most stations are part of a network where the vast majority of content is the same. Usually if you get two channels with the same game on one of them would be blocked out. Having said that though if you want to listen to streaming radio of both teams that usually is not an issue.

Another complication is what specifically IS the market?

There's a lawsuit on textbooks in which someone earned a degree overseas and came back to the USA..she sold her books on ebay. These books are argued to be slightly different from the US ones to the point where she's being sued!

So what makes google tv different than that of a laptop. Well google tv can be argued hooks up to a larger tv which means more viewers (in theory), the cost is lower...also remember comcast owns nbc now so if there is anything to kinda upset cable they'd be apt to want it pulled.

15. halox

halox New Member

Man, I was hoping this thread would just die. Oh, well.

16. ChrisG8

The concept is pretty funny to me. I can't play golf at the exclusive country club a mile from my home, Acushnet should have negotiated an agreement for everybody that owns those golf clubs to play there. No memberships available, nothing I can do unless the country club decides to let me in, shame on Acushnet, the clubs should have never been offered for sale.

17. gidero

gidero New Member

I won't even dignify this quote with a response. :confused:

YEAH ME TOO!!

I disagree with part of what your saying. Everybody might not want to play at your crappy country club, but if I have a membership, and I was told that I would have access to certain things, then yeah, im going to be p*ssed. We can agree to disagree. We aren't going to change each others minds, and that's fine with me. lol I hope you enjoy your google tv/ blueray (or whatever), with its countess of blocked sites, and I hope you love giving Amazon.com your money. This product is wonderful, and perfect, without any flaws, and the market has alot of useful apps. *thumbs up to you*. I'm out.

18. ChrisG8

As far as the countless people that agree with you saying Goole TV shouldn't have been released if some sites choose to block Google TV, I count one, you. As far as the countless sites that block Google TV, I count about 6 and count hundreds that don't.