Quantcast

Keyboards that works well with LG Google TV

Discussion in 'LG Internet TV' started by mdosu, Mar 3, 2014.

1. mdosu

mdosu New Member

Hello, I have a GA6400 google tv.

I'm interested in using a keyboard in lieu of my LG magic remote. So I have a few questions:

1. Can I simply just buy the Logitech K700 (keyboard only w/usb receiver) and it'll be a simple plug and play? I should not need the full Revue setup, since I already have a Google TV correct?

2. Are there other alternative keyboards you have been using with your google tv?

3. I have my Tivo box programmed with my magic remote via the IR blaster. Would the keyboard be able to control the Tivo box too?

thanks!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I use the K700 with Sony Google TV and TiVo, I do not have an LG Google TV model but I am confident the K700 will work well with the LG. With the NSZ-GT1, I am able to do everything I want to do using the K700 including TiVo 30 second skip forward. With the Sony NSZ-GS7, the same command FN>> does not activate 30 second skip forward but otherwise it works great with the K700 as well. Controlling AVR volume with my Yamaha AVRs and powering on and off each HDTV also works fine.

All you need is the K700 sold separately which comes with the unifying receiver that should be paired with that keyboard, but if it is not, it is easy to pair using a PC, no Revue needs to be anywhere near for that to work.

Maybe somebody here is using the K700 with an LG Google TV and can comment, all I can say is I love the K700 for the Google TV models with TiVos I own.

3. ericd

ericd Active Member

I've tried a couple different wireless controllers, provided they have a USB dongle. Finding one that works the basic tv controls (volume up/down, on / off and channel +-) can be tricky but using the magic remote with a usb keyboard gives you the best of both worlds.Typing on the magic remote's a real pain for me with the tiny keys and no backlight. I also downloaded a couple of GTV remotes onto my Galaxy Tab II that paired with the LG 6400 (Able remote works real good).

Another thing to consider, the LG's USB inputs are in back of the TV which cuts down the reception from the remote to the dongle. I got a USB extension cord to run the dongle to the front of the TV.

I bought this one about a year ago http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mini-Controller-Revue-Google/dp/B0040QE97A. It works good, has a backlit keyboard, controls all the TV functions but is a little overly complicated. You also lose the the voice control and the air mouse of the magic remote.

For me, combining the magic remote with any of the wireless USB (with a dongle) keyboard is the way to go

4. ChrisG8

The K700 is RF and I have used rear USB ports with the GTV boxes behind the TV and that has worked fine but as you indicate if somehow the short distance can be blocked by the TV, a USB extension cable would easily overcome that issue. The K700 has GTV dedicated buttons and since it is a full sized keyboard, back lighting hasn't been needed for me, it is easy to use it by touch in the dark, I have been doing that for years. The little remotes with little qwerty keypads that come with all of the models except the Logitech Revue are too difficult for me to use so I only use the K700.

If that Logitech mini keypad works well, the K700 should as well.

5. mdosu

mdosu New Member

Thanks for the reply everyone. One more question. With the K700 and the integrated touchpad, does it work well with the GoogleTV? With the LG Magic Remote, you call we have to push the "gesture" button to toggle the pointer. Is there a button on the K700 that does the same thing which turns on and off the pointer?

How would you rate the ease of use of the touchpad, generally?

6. ChrisG8

I think the K700 is very easy to use, the touchpad is very responsive and easy to control. The pointer appears when moving the cursor about by sliding fingers on the touchpad, there is no button to toggle it on/off.

7. mdosu

mdosu New Member

nice thanks! too bad you don't get a sales credit from Logitech for convincing me to go with the K700!

K700 is compatible with the Unifying Receiver correct? There's a star logo on the botton of the K700?

Also, since you have TiVo as well (I have the Roamio), have you found that the keyboard provided the full functionality provided by the TiVo remote? Are there any quirky functions or buttons? Like the "home" buttons doesn't go home? Or "email" button goes "home" instead?

8. ChrisG8

Nothing quirky but it isn't really the K700 controlling the TiVo, it is the Google TV outputting the IR command for TiVo control. The K700 sends an RF command to the Google TV which has the necessary built in universal IR remote control ability that instantly outputs the appropriate IR command for the TiVo or AVR or HDTV. That is the one caveat I mentioned, I have no experience with the LG Google TV model or any Jellybean model for that matter and as I mentioned, even with the Honeycomb models I use there are some differences among boxes. The Logitech Revue has a built in unifying receiver and the most complete IR control of any Google TV model, it uses the Logitech Harmony universal remote technology to control IR components being used with Google TV.

The K700 sold separately from the Revue includes a unifying receiver which is paired with the keyboard already. I retired my 2 Revues, the Sony models are better other than IR command, and use unifying receivers that came with mice for those keyboards. In addition since I have 4 Sony Google TVs, I have 2 additional K700 keyboards purchased separately for those. I also have a Vizio Co-Star but it is unique, no built in IR control ability, no jacks for IR blasters, the Co-Star remote has built in IR output ability and the remote must be pointed towards the device being controlled. It is possible even with the Co-Star to use the K700 but that requires sending Bluetooth from the controller to the console, Bluetooth back to the remote and IR from the remote meaning the remote is used like a blaster, must be pointed toward the IR devices like any IR commander, line of sight control. That is a clunky method at best and I don't like it and instead use the Co-Star controller for operation which I don't like very well and therefore rarely use the Co-Star. I only purchased a Co-Star customer return to check out and offer help to members here using the Co-Star.

With the Sony NSZ-GT1 and NSZ-GS7, I use triple emitter IR blasters, one head pointed toward each of three devices being controlled, TiVo, Yamaha AVR, and HDTV. I use Yamaha AVRs in each system and TiVos in each system.

• Like Like x 2