Quantcast

Just Received A New YouTube Update On My Revue

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 13, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I just received a new YouTube Update On My Revue. I'm not sure what is new or fixed with this YouTube update - but if I find more information I'll post back again.

2. CatfishRivers

OK I went to my YouTube app after the update and got a black screen - then my Revue rebooted by itself. So not a good start.

I then tried going to the YouTube app a second time. This time it worked (at first anyway). I didn't notice anything different in the layout. I then typed "movies" in search. I clicked to play a "Jetsons" movie from the search results - but instead the movie "Born Of Hope" played. So I tried clicking on the Jetsons movie a second time - and again the Born Of Hope movie played instead.

I never have been a fan of the GTV YouTube app. I don't see anything to change my mind - I'll continue viewing YouTube from their web site with the Chrome browser.

Note: I'm still on the 3.1 update - so I don't know if things would of been better if I was on the new 3.2 update. But I doubt it.

3. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I noticed a new "Live" option as well with the new youtube update - If you choose it , it shows all the live streams.

4. CatfishRivers

Hi! I'm not seeing the new "Live" option. I think this could be do to the fact that you are on a Sony GTV - and I'm on the Revue still stuck on the 3.1 update.

I did notice some other things. The search seems to be working better now and plays the correct video when I click for it (after that initial glitch that I mentioned in my previous post).

The BIG IMPROVEMENT that I notice is in streaming HD videos. My download speed is only 3.2 mbps and I still was able to play 2 HD videos - without it pausing or the wheel spinning - and it never automatically adjusted to a lower standard definition playback as it had done in the past.

There was another glitch though - when I was playing a video I was trying to navigate by clicking the keyboard - and instead a popup came on-screen that said "this video has already been added to your playlist". Well it's a music video and I do have a different video of that same song on one of my playlists - but NOT that specific video. That popup then stayed on the screen for over a full minute (couldn't get it to go away - even after I exited the YouTube app entirely). Finally the popup when away on it's own.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  5. chopper

chopper Active Member

I am still on 3.1 and am a fan on the App. The New in Subscriptions is great. Now I don't need to keep searching for new content from my subscribed channels. Also when viewing a video if you view the more info and down arrow twice you get more suggestions for related video which is brilliant! Not sure how to subscribe to channels within the app so still use the chrome browser to do this part but when you switch back to the app the TV experience is so much better. If you find a vid you want to add to your favs just press the star key on your remote. It would be nice to be able to remove items from favs and make playlists on the fly in the future. Movies need to be added to this app asap. For those who like documentaries do a search for them from within the app and enjoy!

6. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

I installed the new youtube update by going to my google play account and clicking my apps and saw youtube had an update so I updated as it did not tell me there was an update. I would check to see if you can do the same thing before saying it is due to me having a sony tv as usally the youtube app is the same all over. I thought they updated the revues to 3.2?

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

More about the live feature in youtube that I found out. It seems all the live streams are actually google+ hangouts. My guess is I am seeing live streams due to my Google+ account linked with my youtube accountas each of the live streams I opened with google tv would show up as a google+ chat session. :) Would be great to have if I had one of those webcams that work with google tv to use to join the google chat sessions :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. CatfishRivers

I received an on-screen notification and my YouTube app updated automatically that way. It said "installing" on my screen - and then in my "notifications" it indicated that the update was successfully installed.

Logitech began rolling out the 3.2 update on June 7th - but not everyone has received that update yet.

Where do you see the "Live" indication on your YouTube app?

When I click where it says "Discover" in my YouTube app - I get a list of 18 different categories. However "Live" is not one of the categories listed.

9. CatfishRivers

OK that is not the same thing as the official YouTube Live section. I would consider this to be YouTube Live:

Live - YouTube

YouTube Live (the Live YouTube from my link above does not work with my YouTube app).

Are you actually able to see live Google + hangouts - or are they previously recorded videos of live hangouts? I don't have a Google + account so I can't test that right now.

10. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Catfish,
    on my youtube app I see 4 options on the very left of the screen - those options are - Featured , Live, My Youtube, and Discover. Are you signed in to youtube with your gmail account?'

11. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Catfish,
    Those are the same channels I am seeing live and when I join them they have the google+ logo in them. By the way, they were live hangouts as it had a little red dot and in red it said live next to the dot when I joined :)

12. CatfishRivers

OK thanks for the information Trallyus. Yes I am signed into my YouTube account - unfortunately I am not seeing that at all on my YouTube app. What I see on the left is "Featured", "My YouTube", and "Discover". But nothing for "Live". I even went to Google Play as you suggested and clicked on the YouTube app there. It indicated it was "installed" and mentioned no update.

Apparently the Sony GTV devices are on a different update than my Revue is currently on. Unless it would make a difference (within the YouTube app) if I signed up for Google +? Hmmm. Maybe that's it. As you mentioned the Live streams seem to be linked to Google+ in some way. Oh well......... I mostly watch YouTube through Chrome anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I just joined Google+. Then I went to my YouTube app and I still don't have a "Live" section.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I received this update late last night on one of my Revues, will check the other Google TV boxes later and see if this makes the app something I will use.

14. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

I took YouTube App for a short spin, test it with some of '1080p HD video test' 1080p & PQ looks very good and no drops to lower video quality. Did search & selected movies w/o issues. The App does support "Live" streaming (it's listed in left menu under 'Featured) no need to be signed into Google account/others to stream from "live", however live PQ (xml/rss feed) generally stream @ low bitrate.

In short, the new YouTube App seems to run great (so far).

btw, maybe the YouTube App (version 1.3.5) is optimized for GTV 3.2 (& not for GTV 3.1) - give it a second try w/ GTV 3.2 (once you have it).

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  15. chopper

chopper Active Member

Just got the 3.2 upgrade and tried the updated You tube App again. Now it has a section called Live which could be interesting should the content be improved.

16. chopper

chopper Active Member

I noticed there is a Rentals Section located in My YouTube now. Could this be the long awaited you tube movies is soon to be available on GTV?