Quantcast

Just ordered

Discussion in 'Amazon Fire TV' started by BubbaHotep, Apr 2, 2014.

1. BubbaHotep

BubbaHotep New Member

Well, I've been wanting to upgrade my Revue for awhile, and the price is right on. The specs are impressive.

2. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator Staff Member

Just ordered one as well. Great price for the unit.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

For those that buy the Kindle Fire TV please post a review of it after you've had a chance to use it for a while.

4. dandroid

dandroid Administrator Staff Member

Just ordered one as well! Gotta love Amazon prime.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am going to wait but I do like that is using a good processor and 2GB RAM. It looks like a Roku 3 killer to me at first glance.

6. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

just ordered one... needed to burn a Gift cert...so yea... now if this thing is not too locked down... im betting the cats over at xda are already devising a root for it... and for amazon box is a fire across the bow of all other competition.. either the next gen stuff will be a huge jump or a price war.... but what ever... as long as it runs well and gets good support from amazon untill... xda takes over and we can run cymod 11.. and xbmc.... and the real google play store... unless google tv gets some juice... they will miss this wave... but this box is not occupying the same space as chrome cast at all mho... two different machines.... a well.... if its a dog i will just send it back.... but it will be a nice gadget to test out... and see where it goes..

7. retroben

retroben Active Member

They should make an optional keyboard for it like they did with the gaming controller.

The biggest questions are,does it have support for any keyboards at all,and will it be possible to use ANY web browser in a functional manner.
    Maybe it can use its bluetooth technology for a bluetooth keyboard.

Or does it already have an onscreen keyboard for doing keyboard related things?

8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am going to guess there are many Bluetooth keyboards that will work and that the Logitech K700 RF keyboard can be used with unifying receiver as well as other RF keyboard USB receiver combos. We will soon see reviews on how well various keyboard options work.

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

A keyboard will work - as Revue5 already posted in another thread that he successfully paired the Logitech K700 keyboard with the Fire TV. The problem is that currently there is no web browser on the Fire TV. Since the Fire TV has an open app ecosystem based on android - my guess is that eventually there will be a web browser app.

10. Elijah_Baley

Elijah_Baley New Member

It does have a rather clumsy on screen keyboard.

The "tip" post at the top of the forum has in it a way to use an RF keyboard that works. I have also tested and hooking up a regular keyboard and mouse (the mouse is really superfluous) to the USB port through a hub works. (You must power cycle the Fire TV for it to detect the added devices)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 4