Quantcast

Just Hooked up Co-Star -- video quality is very poor

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by jamor9391, Nov 17, 2012.

1. jamor9391

jamor9391 New Member

I just finished setup on my co-star, and I have to say, the video quality is god awful compared to my PS3 or Roku XD. I tried both Netflix and Amazon, and neither was even watchable. All devices are setup using Speaking of Amazon, why is there no dedicated app? I have a bad feeling that I misspent $100 bucks here, so any help would be appreciated.

When i get some time today, I am going to haul a setup up to my router and try to plug the box into my router directly and see if that helps, but it's not really an option -- as the TV I am going to run it on won't be able to get a cable fed.

Thanks,
    Jam

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have the PS3 and several Google TV boxes, there is no difference in video quality when playing the same source, such as Netflix, as far as I can tell. Google TV can not play movies in HD from Amazon, at least as of the last time I checked but TV shows can be played in HD. As far as why there is no Amazon app for Google TV, I don't know the answer but I use the PS3 instead of Google TV for Amazon and will until there is a proper Google TV app for Amazon, hopefully that will happen soon but I have seen nothing that would make me believe that. For most internet streaming I use Google TV because it can access so much more than many other streaming boxes including the Roku boxes.

3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Kinda strange guy, your video is piss poor quality and on my Co-stars, my video is picture pixel crystal clear .... You got a bottleneck in your home network somewhere and you know about the recommended HDMI cables/CAT #6 cables for the Co-Star ...

I pray that you are not using a WiFi connection with your Co-Star, that's a no no ... What is your broadband speed? Also what's the name of your router ...? If the Vizio Co-Star is set up correctly with the right parameters, it will run/work smooth as silk 24/7 ....!

4. jamor9391

jamor9391 New Member

Yeah, I am using wi-fi, what good is one of those devices if it's required to be plugged in. I'll grab the rest of the information tomorrow, but I have to say, it's disappointing I can't use it on my main TV, as I really like the screen overlay quite a bit.

5. ChrisG8

I only use Wi-Fi, picture quality is excellent given a good quality source with Google TV but finding a good quality source isn't always easy with internet TV. Any claims that there is something inherent with Google TV that would make the picture quality inferior to the PS3 or Roku or other streaming box is just a false claim, something else is causing any difference when there is one. If there was a difference like that, an independent testing site would have uncovered it long ago, no such difference has been documented.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Have you tried running a speedtest? I have a hunch that the issue could be the way your router interacts with GTV. It's difficult explaining this to people because yes other devices on your network will show good speed results and you can view web pages with Chrome etc on your Co-Star. But I would first try some trouble-shooting measures involving your router. Can you remove your router from your setup (as a troble-shooting measure) and connect directly to modem?

Take a look at the following thread and you can get some ideas for trouble-shooting your router:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/vizio-co-star/6397-speedtest-via-co-star.html

7. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

F.\HIGH SPEED INTERNET AND THE VIZIO CO-STAR MEDIA PLAYERS AND THE GOOGLE CHROME WEB BROWSER

The First thing You want to Know about streaming video via the Co-Star media players, via the Google Chrome web browser, it requires a "FAST BROADBAND SPEED" connection ... No matter how fast you broadband connection is avoid a wireless Internet connection set up at all cost if possible (Like You Would The Plague) .... If you want the best streaming experience, use a (WIRED INTERNET CONNECTION) with your new Vizio Co-Star ......

10MB, 5MB broadband speeds for streaming video via the Co-Star media players and the Google Chrome web browser is not going to cut it ... Don't complaint about the Chrome browser crashing, lag, poor video quality or the Co-Star is just to slow with a slow broadband connection (It's Not The Co-Star, It's Your Slow Broadband Connection)....

You need at least a 15MB to 20MB broadband speeds for the Vizio Co-Star to hold on to a good strong video/audio data stream link without lag ...

*See the speed test in the above photo, "SPEED" is the name of the "GAME FUEL" for the Vizio Co-Star, without the speed fuel behind your Vizio Co-Star you are asking for trouble ...!

ALL Internet Streaming Media Players Requires SPEED fuel, the faster your broadband speeds, the better ...! The best router for the Co-Star is a high speed gaming router for the best streaming experience, your video will be picture pixel crystal clear 24/7 via your Co-Star ...

8. ChrisG8

Nothing Google TV can stream from the internet requires ultra fast speeds, in fact I can't think of any internet streaming that would exceed 5Mbps accessible by Google TV, most sources are in the 2Mbps range or less. My internet service is U-verse with download speeds are up to 12Mbps, I have no issues with any streaming sources. If downloading files is important, no question that quicker download speeds could be helpful but I don't download files much. A good router with consistent connection speeds above the required speed is important of course but speeds like I see work great for Google TV.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2316314962.png

9. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

People if you own a Vizio Co-Star please follow my above instructions for a awesome streaming experience with your Vizio Co-Star ...

I have been in this streaming game for a long time, going all the way back to the first Slingbox, you know how long that has been ... Believe me, I have had my ups and downs with streaming players, slow broadband speeds, routers, wiring with poor quality cables, you name it I have been their ....

I have done a lot of testing with the Vizio Co-Star, so I know what works and what will not work with the Co-Star ..... If I tell you that something works with the Co-Star, you can bet your bottom dollar it works ...

If you want the BEST streaming experience with the Co-Star, get the fastest broadband speed you can afford from your provider (20 MB, If Possible) ... Like I said, get a high speed dual band gaming router with (Qos), use a wired connection, CAT #6 cables, high quality HDMI cables (Recommended For The Co-Star) ...

People all I'm doing is trying to help/tell you how to get the best streaming experience out of your Vizio Co-Star ... That is if you want high quality streaming video without lag with picture pixel crystal clear video resolution quality ...!

I'm not comparing the Co-Star to any other streaming media player that's on the market today, because they are different, they may have the same Google TV, but they are still different component devices .....(lol)

I'm not getting into a debate with anybody telling you what you don't need and what you need, yeah ....(lol)

10. ChrisG8

If the Vizio Co-Star required 20Mbps download speeds for acceptable streaming quality, that requirement would be on the box. It isn't because it doesn't. Clearly faster speeds won't hurt but 20Mbps is absolutely not necessary for the Co-Star or any Google TV device with any streaming available today and as far as I know, not required for any service with any streaming box.

11. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG] Originally Posted by Wisdom[​IMG]

People if you own a Vizio Co-Star please follow my above instructions for a awesome streaming experience with your Vizio Co-Star ...

I have been in this streaming game for a long time, going all the way back to the first Slingbox, you know how long that has been ... Believe me, I have had my ups and downs with streaming players, slow broadband speeds, routers, wiring with poor quality cables, you name it I have been their ....

I have done a lot of testing with the Vizio Co-Star, so I know what works and what will not work with the Co-Star ..... If I tell you that something works with the Co-Star, you can bet your bottom dollar it works ...

If you want the BEST streaming experience with the Co-Star, get the fastest broadband speed you can afford from your provider (20 MB, If Possible) ... Like I said, get a high speed dual band gaming router with (Qos), use a wired connection, CAT #6 cables, high quality HDMI cables (Recommended For The Co-Star) ...

People all I'm doing is trying to help/tell you how to get the best streaming experience out of your Vizio Co-Star ... That is if you want high quality streaming video without lag with picture pixel crystal clear video resolution quality ...!

I'm not comparing the Co-Star to any other streaming media player that's on the market today, because they are different, they may have the same Google TV, but they are still different component devices .....(lol)

I'm not getting into a debate with anybody telling you what you don't need and what you need, yeah ....(lol)

ChrisG8 SAID

If the Vizio Co-Star required 20Mbps download speeds for acceptable streaming quality, that requirement would be on the box. It isn't because it doesn't. Clearly faster speeds won't hurt but 20Mbps is absolutely not necessary for the Co-Star or any Google TV device with any streaming available today and as far as I know, not required for any service with any streaming box.

I have never ever said anything about a 20 MB requirement for streaming via the Vizio Co-Star ...! Where did that come from...?(lol)

I'm going to repeat What I said...! Now look at the word (BEST) ...!

Why do people want to take your words out of context and even change them to say something you never ever said .... (BEST) (BEST) (BEST) If you want the BEST streaming experience with the Co-Star .....!

If you want the BEST streaming experience with the Co-Star, get the fastest broadband speed you can afford from your provider (20 MB, If Possible) ... Like I said, get a high speed dual band gaming router with (QoS), use a wired connection, CAT #6 cables, high quality HDMI cables (Recommended For The Co-Star) ...

People all I'm doing is trying to help/tell you how to get the BEST streaming experience out of your Vizio Co-Star ... That is if you want high quality streaming video without lag with picture pixel crystal clear video resolution quality ...!

That's why a lot of people need to read the book "Google TV Devices For Dummies" ....!

*If I did not own a Vizio Co-Star, I would NOT be posting in this forum section, unless I was asking questions ...!(lol)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  12. CatfishRivers

I have the Logitech Revue (OS 3.1) and I currently have a download speed of only 3.2 mbps. I'm hardwired directly to the modem. My TV is a 720P Vizio 32" TV.

I find for my needs that even 3.2 mbps down is plenty good enough. I'm able to stream 720P HD videos from Vimeo, YouTube web site and the YouTube app. I don't really care about 1080P video - but in order to stream 1080P video I could accomplish that by pausing the video for a while and letting it buffer. Usually I don't even need to pause to buffer for 720P videos.

I feel the occassional "glitches" that I run into such as Shockwave crashes, web pages freezing, the "Aw Snap" message, etc are things that wouldn't be improved upon by my "wasting" money for a higher speed internet service. I suspect "most" of the problems GTV users run into are do to Flash being inherently unstable, glitches specific to web sites and apps, hardware limitations of GTV devices, GTV OS bugs, and router/wi-fi issues.

Obviously if you stream a lot of 1080P videos a faster internet service is more important.

13. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I'm talking about the BEST, you people are talking about what you need and what you can get by with ....!

I want the BEST and I got the BEST ...!

I don't want, no crashes, web page freezing, shock wave, glitches or occasional hiccup, none of that mess on home network with my Co-Stars ...

I want picture pixel crystal video resolution quality 24/7 and that's what I got ....! If you guys want to go the cheapie, cheapie broadband way have fun, I ain't mad at ya ....!(lol)

If you want the BEST streaming experience with the Co-Star, get the fastest broadband speed you can afford from your provider (20 MB, If Possible) ... Like I said, get a high speed dual band gaming router with (QoS), use a wired connection, CAT #6 cables, high quality
    HDMI cables (Recommended For The Co-Star) ...

14. ChrisG8

Go ahead and provide some science to support the claim that 20Mbps speed is going to make streaming these sub 5Mbps sources better, I would like to read about how that could be. I have never read nor seen anything that would make me believe that could be true. As long as the speed is consistently above the required speed, no difference will be observed and most of the streaming sources I use with Google TV are 2Mbps or less and I have never seen anything above 5Mbps and if anybody knows of a streaming source that ever exceeds 5Mbps accessible by Google TV, let me know what it is, I would like to check it out.

15. CatfishRivers

I found the following article about internet speed requirements to be very informative. Representatives from Netflix and Vudu both mentioned specific speed requirements for certain levels of performance:

Internet Speed Requirements for Video Streaming

16. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

Those are the minimum speeds use by those movie streaming services, but those speeds will not give you good quality video ....

How to Set Up Your Wireless Router for HD Video Streaming

There are more ways than ever to get your video these days. Here's how to set up your network to avoid slow, lagging video streams. I pray this article will help somebody and enlighten others ....!
    [​IMG] The average wireless router typically sits quietly doing its job of routing traffic between the Internet and your private home network-and not much else. But it can do so much more, especially if you know how to tweak its settings. Last time, we showed you how to set up your router for gaming. In this piece, I'll show you how to make your router video-friendly by optimizing it for high-definition video streaming.
    Getting optimal performance from your router doesn't mean just speeding up network throughput or making the wireless signal stronger. It means tweaking settings to prevent constant streaming video buffering and lag.
    Many network users want to stream video from gaming consoles, NAS devices, or Blu-Ray players to other devices within a home network. For example, I have a home media server that stores video files. I want to stream these videos to wireless clients in my home like tablets or smartphones and want to get the best performance I can while streaming. Performance, in this case, is fairly easy to maximize because the streaming from the source is happening locally, within the network, from the source to the client devices-provided you have the right equipment.
    • Invest in Dual-band
    The best way to optimize video is with a dual-band router and using the 5 GHz band for streaming. The 5 GHz band is less crowded and can provide faster speeds than the 2.4 GHz band.
    • Create two SSIDs
    The majority of dual-band routers on the market are simultaneous dual-band meaning you can create a separate SSID for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band, essentially creating two networks. Connect the devices that stream video on the 5 GHz network. In the following image, I have two SSID's created: 5 GHz for streaming and 2.4 for devices used only for surfing the Internet.
    [​IMG]

Keep in mind that the devices that you stream from, such as gaming consoles "Vizio Co-Star" or NASes, you will want to connect with an Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports on a router. You'll get much faster speed than with a wireless connection.
    • Enable WMM
    Newer routers and wireless clients like the iPad support WMM (Wireless Multimedia). WMM is used to allow specific kinds of wireless traffic (like video) to be set to high priority-working very much like QoS but requiring less configuration. If you continue to have problems with video, try enabling WMM settings on your router and wireless clients.
    • Optimize Your Signal
    Still not getting great throughput? Maybe it's the signal strength itself. Try these 10 great tips to boost your wireless signal. Follow our guide and you'll get a stronger all-around signal on your wireless network.
    For additional information on wireless networking, check out: How to Buy a Wireless Router and The Ten Best Wireless Routers.

*Some people just come in this forum sections to start flame wars, read the top post and you will see where I'm coming from*

17. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

Android Smartphone Portrait Mode

[​IMG]
    Android Smartphone Landscape mode

See in the above photo the 560 Kbps speeds that I'm getting via my a SlingPlayer app, this SlingPlayer app I remade and modifed for my Andoid smartphone and tablet .... Their was a time when I was lucky to get a 100 Kbps speeds, because I was new to the broadband speed game ...

I can get speeds now anywhere from 400 Kbps up to 850 Kbps speeds, a 1000 miles away from my home, any Slingbox owner will tell you that these speeds are awesome ....

It will also tell you my home broadband network is well put together for streaming video over the Internet at high speeds ... The faster your home network broadband speeds with your Slingbox, the better your video and audio streaming experience will be, believe me ....!(lol)

18. vedder012

vedder012 New Member

Gonna have to agree with Chris...20mb down is not gonna do any better video quality then 10mb when talking google tv alone....now if you have multiple devices running on your network all at the same time..(ie..Xbox, ps3, multiple computers, iPad)... Then yes 20mb will help. But trust me in saying you will not get any better video quality on you google tv box if you have 20 or 10mb and that's the only device on your network.

I have an Xbox, 2 computers, iPad, connected tv, and a few other connected devices and have 12mb down and 3mb up and if I'm playing cod online with my Xbox, I can also stream hd with my iPad and gtv using Netflix at the same time.

You don't need 20mb for your co costar so please stop recommending it to people.

19. callanish

callanish Member

What's so special about those speeds? I've been running slingbox's for a decade and these days anything under a 1mb remote stream isn't anything to write home about especially on a connected device. You'd be lucky to get a consistent 640 x 240 resolution from your slingbox to your co-star if your speeds are fluctuating between 400 and 850 Kbps.

20. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

How many people you know just got one device on their home network, I got about 12 different devices on my home network .... If you own a Vizio CO-Star and you want the BEST streaming experience you need 20 MB speeds, I will never ever stop recommending that speeds to Vizio Co-Star owners if they want the best .... You guys are talking about what you can get by with, I'm talking about the best ...!(lol)

See the photo above those are the speeds on my home network, my Vizio Co-Stars works smooth as silk, ALL the video I play/stream with my Co-Stars are in picture pixel crystal clear video resolution quality, no lag on my network for any of my devices ...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012