Quantcast

Just bought Revue -- due to Logitech's abrupt behavior, not sure if I should keep it.

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by sotomo, Nov 28, 2011.

1. sotomo

sotomo New Member

Ok, maybe it's not all Logitech's fault. The Revue is fantastic and it is frustrating that perhaps the best product they ever made, they are abandoning. Logitech has frustrated me before, and this is why I usually avoid buying from them. I thought I'd give them another chance, and THIS is what happens. This might be the last Logitech product I ever buy. I do not know why other companies can't follow in Apple's footsteps and be cool, and support their products and their customers.

Anyway, I have a few questions....

1) Is there any chance the full Honeycomb will ever be released so we can download more apps?

2) I got the included camera. If I can't use Skype with it, will it still work on another TV that in "Skype enabled"? Will it work on PCs?

3) I know this has been answered before, but is there still no way to revert to factory default software if I try to install Honeycomb 3.1 and don't like it? Is Honeycomb 3.1 good? I mainly want Hulu. Does HC3.1 have Hulu? (I got playon but I'd prefer the app)

4) Where can I find HC3.1 for Revue? I tried searching and can only find it talked about, but not the actual download.

5) Is their any way to play music straight from the Android phone like Apple TV does?

Thanks

2. ertore

ertore New Member

send me and email to ertore gmail.com and like that i can give you the support you need to forget about hulu or cbs or fox.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yes, according to Ashish Arora in his last blog post on November 11th, 2011

Yes, on Windows PCs it will come up as a "USB Video Device". Therefore, you can use it as a generic webcam for any software that supports it.

However for Skype enabled televisions, I doubt it will be compatible. The Logitech TV Cam for Skype and the Logitech TV Cam for Google TV have different USB Hardware IDs. So, I doubt those Skype televisions have the drivers to support it.

No, you cannot back rev. Yes, the official Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) update is good. No, it doesn't have a Hulu app yet. According to the http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-development-discussion/3658-hangout-rishi-chandra.html
    You can't download the official update as it has not been released yet

Yes and no. Apple TV has a "push to" capability as part of the proprietary AirPlay platform. Google TV devices rely on the DLNA capabilities provided by the manufacturer. The Logitech Media Player is also not a "play to" compatible DLNA client. However, if you an app that support DLNA server services then you can initiate playing songs from your Android device. For the iPhone/iPad, I use a program called, "MediaConnect" which the Logitech Revue can play media from it. Also on my Sony Internet TV with the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) Update, I can also use the DNLA "push to" capabilities to songs and video to "play to" the Sony Google TV.

4. sotomo

sotomo New Member

Thanks Efrez, that's great info and I'll reread it a couple more times for it to sink in.

So, there is not official Honeycomb release but Sony does have it? Maybe I'll just trade this in for a Sony then.

Thing is I like the keyboard remote, and the look of the small black box. Does the Sony version have a detached IR sensor, or does that big white box need to be in line of site?

I'll need to double check the Logitech camera's box. I thought the box said it was for Skype enabled TV's, I'm going to get a new TV in a few weeks. If it did work it would come in handly.

Also sorry for re-asking alreay answered questions but this saved tons of time Googling.

Thanks again!

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

At first, I was skeptical and thought you may just send me more spam about unotelly. That's why I sent you the email through Yahoo's disposable email addresses. Thanks for the response though, I was pleasantly surprised. I just wanted to share your email with everyone. No sense in keeping it "private".

Thanks for the links though. I've seen a couple of those sites before in the Project Free TV thread and actively avoid them, but thought I'd share the links in case anyone was curious. Thanks again!

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Actually, Google submitted the Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) Final Release Candidate to both Logitech and Sony. Sony was able to release theirs much faster because they let a few bugs slip pass their QA department and their value additions were not nearly as complex and Logitech's. For example, Sony's Google TV devices have a fixed set of devices and codes that it supports. If your device isn't supported or if a particular command isn't referenced then you're going to have to contact Sony Technical Support to report the issue and hope that it is addressed in a later patch. Then in the interim you'll have use the OEM remote.

The Revue on the hand has the Logitech Harmony software component built into the operating system. This allows you to download codes for over 5,000 manufactures and 250,000 devices. You can also teach new IR signals as well as customize your keyboard to send out specific IR commands. The Logitech Revue also has the device drivers for the Logitech TV Cam and the Logitech ViD HD conferencing software. This supports the only video conferencing platform available on any Google TV device. Sony Google TV devices don't don't support this feature at all.

So, those of us with Revues are still waiting Logitech to finish up their development process and release the update to the public.

By the way, if you buy a Sony Google TV device then you can still use the Logitech Revue's Keyboard if you purchased a $10 Unify Receiver. I usually recommend this for people who are thinking of exchanging the devices because the alternative is to buy the Logitech Google TV Keyboard Controller which costs as much as the Revue with the Keyboard. So, you get a better deal buy just tacking on a Unify Receiver. Plus I've written instructions on how to use it, "http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...ech-revue-keyboard-sony-google-tv-device.html"

There are several webcams that Logitech makes which bare resemblance to one another. However, only the Logitech TV Cam is compatible with the Revue and does not have any indication about Skype compatibility on the box. You may have been looking at the Logitech TV Cam for Skype at the store and confused it with the other package.

7. sotomo

sotomo New Member

I'll look at the camera box again when I get home from work. I know it said "for skype enabled tv's" somehwere. I got the combo for $129 at BestBuy and I guess that camera would cost almost that much retail, so that would be a good deal. If we got the official HC release and it were a Skype camera, that would be reason enough to keep it.

To go off on a slight tangent, do you know if the keyboard can work with Wii and/or Xbox?

Thanks,
    Dave

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

If you have the Unify Receiver then the K700 Keyboard that comes with the Revue can be used with any device that supports Universal Serial Bus (USB) Human Interface Devices (HID) keyboard and mouse keyscan codes.

9. sotomo

sotomo New Member

Cool, I guess I just need to buy a couple more unify receiver's then. This might have been a decent purchase after all. I can't believe Logitech is abondoning such a great product. Again, I'll check out that box and see what kind of camera I have. Thanks again.

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Are you buying more Logitech Revues or keyboards? Because a single Unify device can only pair with one Unify Receiver. However, a single Unify Receiver can pair up to six Unify devices. The nice thing about the Unify system is that the device pairs with the receiver and not the system, so you can pull out the Unify receiver out and plug it into any system without having to pair it again. Details are here: Logitech - What is Unifying?

P.s., do me a favor and post pictures of the box if Skype is mentioned on it. I have the combo box here but its all gift wrapped and waiting to given as presents. I'd feel bad if I open it before the recipients do.

11. sotomo

sotomo New Member

Oh, I thought it was the other way around and I could get a bunch of receivers for different devices. Is there any way I can use the keyboard on different devices without having to move the receiver around?

Yeah I'll definitely take that picture of the box if it says what I think it does. If you are buying these as presents then I guess they still must be decent things to have... I just really want the official Honeycomb release.

12. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Not without having to pair them again and the software to do that is only available on the PC/Mac. So, it would be moot point. The only other way, I could think of is buying more keyboards or Revues.

Yeah, me too. Buying these for my family and friends will allow me to video conference with ones who aren't exactly tech savvy. I think its awesome. Right now it is the least expensive video conferencing platform. Period.

• Like Like x 2
  13. sotomo

sotomo New Member

Apparently I drank way too much over Thanksgiving because I was totally wrong about the label. I had a lot of learning to do about the state of internet TV and will surely keep the Revue, but at some point I'm going to try Boxee as well since I have an Acer revo which would work perfectly for it, if they come out with the dongle for live TV.

I'm learning all kinds of things, like I had no idea I couldn't use over the air TV with this.... sorry for all the complaining. I think the device is great, I just wasn't aware of all the corporate politics involved.

Attached Files:

14. usnret

usnret New Member

Perhaps you could blame it on the dog eferz ?? :)

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

lol. I guess its possible but my conscious won't let me get away with it.

16. rbringh

rbringh New Member

Sotomo, You have mentioned this twice "like I had no idea I couldn't use over the air TV with this".

I have two Revue's and both are setup with OTA TV and work great.

17. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I believe he meant that he's not able to combine the OTA television experience with the Logitech Revue without purchasing an additional HDMI OTA set-top box. Most of use are aware of this limitation that since the Revue does not have an COAX input nor a built-in ATSC/QAM tuner.

18. sotomo

sotomo New Member

How much does a Tuner cost? My brief Googling found $200-$300 which is seems steep considering that's as much as a small TV costs, and the Revue itself is only $99. I am wondering, though, about Boxee's $49 dongle which they say will be released in January. Actually I just setup a Boxee last night on my Acer Revo. We are buying another TV in a couple weeks so we'll probably keep both the Boxee and the Revue.

19. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It varies in price depending on what features you expect and whether you are willing to spend extra money. The least expensive route that I'm aware of so far is using an unsubscribed Tivo for their OTA TV Tuner and the 30 minute time scrubber for Live TV. You also have the added option of creating manual recordings without the service. I believe japyon found one for $40 from an online auction or listing site.

20. fromtheotherbay

fromtheotherbay New Member

Eferz, great info. Please dispel one perplexity here. I got mine on Thanksgiving that says on the pack: "New and Improved Google TV now with Android 3.1 and Android market". What is that supposed to mean? Does it mean that it is compatible with HC3.1 on a hardware level, or does it mean it already is running HC3.1? I also do not see any links to the Android market. So shall we be getting an OTA HC3.1 upgrade? Please explain.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated.