Quantcast

Just bought an Asus Cube, in Canada. How do I make it suck less? :P

Discussion in 'Asus Qube' started by LifeIsOnTheWire, Jan 18, 2014.

1. LifeIsOnTheWire

LifeIsOnTheWire New Member

Hey everyone. I bought an Asus Cube yesterday. It seems like it should be able to do everything I want, but it doesnt. I almost cried when I looked at what was available in the Play Store

My goal was:
    - I have alot of movies encoded into Xvid, H.264, and X.264. I wanted something that can play a LARGE variety of different codecs.
    - Something with lots of App support (genuinely popular streaming services, not just Korean Soap Operas, etc).

Complaints:
    - The amount of included apps is a joke
    - Play store consists of little more than Plex, Solitaire, and Zynga Poker
    - None of my MKV files (x264/h264) work at all
    - The file browser app is not intuitive at all. (I can manage it, but I'm going to be called to the livingroom everytime someone else in my family wants to use it).

Before buying it, I looked at the File support for the Cube, and it looked decent enough, and I figured if I ended up running into any lacking compatability, I could just install MX Player, or something. Turns out this isn't possible (or at least easy). I haven't tried to side-load MX Player yet, but I read the FAQ on the MX website that the App is completely incompatible with Google TV.

I've already started side-loading APKs, but discovered alot of the apps I wanted don't work (NBA Game time) due to not supporting landscape mode.

Is there a good repository of Google-TV optimized apps?

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. Unfortunately the amount of GTV optimized apps is small at this time. GTV never really caught on with app developers. It's kind of like the 'chicken-or-the-egg' quandry. The app developers will spend their time on platforms with the widest consumer base - and the GTV user base is small. At the same time in order for GTV to be successful (and grow it's user base) it needs more optimized apps.

Now that it's known the GTV Honeycomb OS was a dead-end fork of android - there will be very little app development for Honeycomb GTV devices. The hope is that with the Jellybean update (which includes NDK support) - there will be more optimized GTV apps. We'll see how it all unfolds.

Many GTV users 'sideload' android apps (some work - some don't). The amount of apps available for sideloading increases with the Jellybean update (because it has NDK support). There is a thread for apps that work with GTV (see link below) - although many of the apps require sideloading.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/4047-working-apps-google-tv.html

I believe the MX Player app is built with the NDK - so it won't work with GTV devices on the Honeycomb OS.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  3. LifeIsOnTheWire

Thanks for the reply. This is pretty much the answer I was expecting. I almost can't believe a device this poor in features has a forum dedicated to anything other than instructions for how to abandon GTV and install XBMC.

I will promptly return the Cube and buy what I should have bought.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If you don't want what Google TV does and instead want XBMC, I have no idea why you would buy Google TV. I have used Google TV almost daily for 2.5 years, there isn't a close second best box for my needs.

It is always funny to read from someone without any earthly idea what Google TV is supposed to be used for assume everybody would want the same thing he wants. Google TV brings all internet services I want, combines it with a traditional service, all into one HDMI input and controls that traditional TV source, in my case TiVo with OTA. It is all exactly what I wanted when I purchased Google TV but I wouldn't use XBMC if it was given to me.

5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

It's not funny. He asked an honest question and sort our advice...

I've bought many TVs & appliances, that after I set them up weren't exactly what I had in mind. I remember a while back I bought wireless headphones. I tried about 3 sets at Radio Shack. None of them worked. I apologized to the clerk & explained the problem. Rather than criticized me he told me to try one of the higher end items. I bought it and again it didn't work. When I returned it, he explained that the material in my walls probably prevented the signal. Later on this was confirmed. What earthly purpose would it serve for him to keep that waste of electronics???

That's what return policies are for...

Carl

6. LifeIsOnTheWire

You misunderstood, I wont be replacing it with XBMC. I will be buying a WDTV Live Hub 1tb. They were out of stock locally, and I bought the cube on a bit of a whim after seeing it on sale for $89.

My brother has the WDTV and it supports every filetype under the sun. I thought the cube would have better app support, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I understand your XBMC comment was only intended to suggest a way to modify Google TV into something that would be better than you think it currently is, something that would be closer to what you want. There is no way to run XBMC very well on any Google TV model as far as I know but my only experience with XBMC, running it on a Windows PC resulted in me not caring to use it, period.

I think one of the WDTV boxes can be the correct choice for someone wanting support for a variety of file types, the Live Hub with 1TB HD is something I considered a few years ago. I am sure it handles a wider variety of files than the Asus Cube. I do have a PC with files, only PlayLater MPEG-4 DVR recordings, which Google TV handles using Plex and I have a USB hard drive connected to each Google TV. I rarely use USB connected drives but ViMu, a Google TV media player app, handles file playback from a hard drive when it is used. For me, Google TV handles all files I need, adds file playback to traditional TV, and internet TV sources all handled by one box, one controller, input into the same HDMI connection. I have also been able to set it up so the female in charge can access everything she needs. The list of things I can't do with Google TV, possible with any of the WDTV models, is very short maybe nothing at all and certainly the WDTV Live Hub adds nothing I can't do and want. The list of things I want that Google TV can handle and WDTV Live Hub can not handle is very long.

Not all Google TV boxes are created equal as far as file playback but the Cube may be worst than most. The Sony NSZ-GT1 is the best Google TV model to date for file handling. Here is a list of file types and codecs handled by various Google TV models.

Video and audio formats - ViMu Player - Your Google TV Media player

There are hundreds of Google TV apps available, I use a couple dozen and I am only aware of a couple on my Android tablet I want on Google TV and can't get but of course adding more apps is always a good thing. I already easily don't use the hundreds I don't want and could just as easily not use thousands I don't want and some of the apps might be of use to others.

8. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Here is the list of the android apps that have been 'optimized' to work with Google TV:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/collection/googletv_featured?hl=en

And here is the list of web apps that have been optimized for GTV:

Spotlight Gallery - Google TV

*Note. Google removed the Spotlight Gallery with the Jellybean update because many of the sites in the gallery use Flash (the Jellybean update removes Flash). However some of the Spotlight sites use HTML5 - so for those GTV users that get the Jellybean update and want to try the Spotlight section out - you can still use the Spotlight link from above.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  9. dizzy

dizzy New Member

I just bought the Asus cube and I am having trouble understanding the tracking pad/cursor function. It works for setup and google store but won't function after I press the Netflix button on the remote. Not sure if the remote is defective or this is normal.

10. jonathankonrad

jonathankonrad New Member

I assumed you returned your GTV cube due to it's poor performance with local video files. I just wanted to post something positive about the cube here. I just purchased a cube since they went on deep discount. Immediately I understood the problems posted here with GTV being based on honeycomb, a dead end fork of Android used only on tablets. However, it does perform well for a few tasks.

First, if you have a plex server in your house, this makes a great plex box. I changed the streaming features to crank it up to max when playing 1080p and it looks wonderful. No stutter, no issue.

Second, if you like video podcasts from TWIT or Revision3 they work fantastic. This is actually the first time I have been satisfied with tuning in to TWIT on a tv. Good work.

Third, switching between live TV and your GTV apps just works. I had no trouble setting up my cable box and tv so now I can manage my cable controls, tv volume and switch back to Online stuff all from the single remote. Nothing like that on my Apple TV.

Last, I want to say Netflix rocks, but this app really needs an update. I use it daily; no kidding, daily. However, all my other devices support profiles and my family is used to them. Now I have all kinds of shows in my history since everyone has to use my profile. Fix this, and I would say the cube is a steal for the price.

I feel all of it's problems would go away if they could release a jellybean update. That would blow open the doors to for so many apps. It would even fix this fellow's problems since you could load MX player. With all their money I am completely confused as to why they did not put some effort in to updating this platform. Yes, "Android TV", but why keep this back. It could shine.

(Oh, and I'm sorry I have no insight on the tracking after pushing netflix. My remote works fine after pushing netflix.)