Quantcast

Jumbo Frames Supported?

Discussion in 'Sony Blu-Ray Set Top Box' started by lardo5150, Jan 18, 2012.

1. lardo5150

lardo5150 New Member

Does GTV support Jumbo Frames (wired)

I have ran a search and could not find anything.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I honestly don't believe it does. On any Linux distribution, the Maximum Transfer Unit (MTU) for the network interface must be set appropriately in order for the operating system to support it. Additionally, all the devices on the network that it is going to talk to will need to support the same MTU value. Otherwise, any speed gained from reduced TCP overhead will be lost when communicating with a device that doesn't support it. If that isn't enough, then the individual applications should be to be tuned to support it.

It is highly doubtful that Google or their partners has gone through this much effort in supporting Jumbo Frames. Honestly, for multimedia applications using it isn't ideal. It makes the transmission of packets bursty, leaving longer gaps in between packets. So, if the network environment isn't ideal then this can cause the video playback to stammer if there's packet lost or if they are received out of order.

If you're going to use Jumbo Frames at home, then I suggest to use either a separate or virtual interface in order to create a "back-end" network. This will leave the "front-end" network to communicate with the devices that don't support Jumbo Frames without impacting the ones that do.