Quantcast

Joined to Research Google Tv

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by lardo5150, Oct 20, 2011.

1. lardo5150

lardo5150 New Member

Hey everyone, name is Travis.

I have been an android user for about 2 years now. I was going to switch to the iphone this past month, but can't upgrade yet (thanks sprint). I am a HUGE music guy so I was forced to find an alternative since my 64gb ipod was stolen and I was going to get the 64gb iphone. I started to really dive into Android (with my solution to music as Google Music), and have slowly really started to favor it now. I visit the xda forums frequently to root my phone to get a nice smooth performance out of it (Epic).

I am really becoming an Android Fan Boy.

I just started to look into Google Tv again. I remember passing on it earlier in the year cause I did not think it would offer what I was really looking for. Reviews on the revue were not the greatest and my wife would not let me fork out the 400 (maybe it was 600??) for the sony box with google tv just to get youtube on the tv :)

I have done only a small amount of research the past two days, but am joining here to ask some questions and really get my answers to what I am looking for. Google TV seems to be a good solution with the addition off the market and apps (is that even ready yet?). Looking to access kids internet content (for my daughter), stream music and movies (especially movies) from my pc downstairs, and just overall improve my tv viewing.

So, please go easy on me as I fire away questions the next few weeks (I actually only have a few that need answered :cool: )

2. trin20t

trin20t New Member

Greetings and welcome to the forums. :)
    I have been using Android for only a few months. Version 1.5,1.6,and 2.2 for x86.
    But I've picked up the basics and having fun. I just got my Google Tv last friday,and have installed the leaked build of 3.1 successfully. You will be pleased to know that the new 3.1 has it's own market(not the full market),Flash 10.2,and a tablet-like UI. What I do on my tablet can be done in the 3.1 leak. And alot of Android apps work although you need to sideload them. Hopefully the Google TV team will leave the official build of 3.1 like this,but who knows. You like Google Music? You will be pleased to know that the Android app for it can be sideloaded and it works. Music apps like Last.fm and Slacker Radio work. Spotify and Jango are coming. Again if you have Android knowledge you need to sideload apps. For kids there is mee! genius and Grab.com games site in spotlight you can try already on your Google TV. Let me know if you want to know more about how 3.1 works so far ok?

3. lardo5150

lardo5150 New Member

what is sideload?

4. scarredupmario

scarredupmario New Member

Sideload - From the GoogleTV market you can only load apps that are "designed" for Google TV (indicated by the developer when they publish the app) in order to install other apps you need to sideload. Which is basically grabbing the apk from your phone or computer and getting it on to google TV to load locally. In the demo over on this thread you can see that he is using Dropbox to pull the apks from, in order to sideload them.