Quantcast

Johnny Come Lately

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by overtimeman, Mar 17, 2013.

1. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

We all know by now the GTV wasn't the next big thing on the market for the living room.Don't get me wrong I love me Sony GS7 and use it as much if not more than my Roku! Some like me were old WebTV and former MSNTV2 users that stayed around after Microsoft destroyed a good concept.Now we have a browser that lets us do things(youtube) and go about anywhere on the internet we please where before it just wasn't possible then.Yes I enjoy the apps and streaming movies but GTV has opened up the internet on a set top box.I just hope Google and partners don't go down the same path and let their browser not stay up with the rest of the internet.Google has more business sense than MSN,just look at their stock prices.I know MSN is coming out with X Box TV but most still have the bitter taste in their mouths from their previous experience with their set top units.So Google and partners think several step ahead of the competition and listen to your user base!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Miike

Liked yer GTV/Xbox comparison. Just wanna add, unless yer a gamer, the Xbox TV is a subscription based service, as was both Webtv & MSNTV 2. Who wants to go back to not really owning their device? We own our units just like I own my PC. That, for me is the biggest difference. As long as the various GTV units continue to sell, all the upgrades we are hoping for will eventually make their way to us. Maybe not on the devices we have now. If I was paying a subscription I'd be worried. Upgrading from an obsolete GTV device I only paid the initial price for the unit is a big difference than ending a subscription service & buying another device I'm basically renting.

The future will tell...

Thanks

Carl

3. overtimeman

You're exactly right Carl?Having to pay a monthly subscription for a set top box that couldn't do a tenth of what our GTV's can access. Google has a reputation to keep up so I think our units will be alright.That's one reason I chose Sony over Vizio because Sony has been there done that with the first generation of GTV.Everytime I use the Sony chat help I always remind them about the importance of keeping our browser up to date.Take care Carl!

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have never used an XBox 360 or WebTV or MSNTV but I do own and use Roku and Google TV, those devices are both excellent for cord cutters. The web browser and access to YouTube, ESPN3, Internet Archive, M-Go, Google Play Movies and TV along with a web browser makes Google TV much better than Roku for me but Roku set out to be the simplest to set up and use streaming box with an excellent content selection and that was a winning combination for the market. I don't know if Google TV ever even catches on, much less passes Roku but I agree with Carlzone, if it continues to be updated and improved, I will sure be happy with Google TV. More difficult to set up and use is OK with me since it offers so much more.

• Like Like x 2
  5. overtimeman

Be thankful Chris you never experienced what Microsoft did to webtv.It was a poor attempt to have internet access on your TV.Did see up at the Sony website where the GS7 is back to it's original price.At least amazon.com still has the GS7 for $169!

6. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Here's what I find kinda funny...

While I love the update on the GS7, the Logitech Revue remains the most user friendly device of all the units I've tried out. The new search format looks better, but the Revue still allows for a simpler search experience. It doesn't require entering the search item and then selecting between Apps, Google, etc. All Apps, TV content, etc show up on a convenient list. Also, as long as Apps is check marked in the search settings, the first letter still brings up apps at the head of the listing corresponding w/that letter.

The DVR function still works on the Revue, whereas the GS7 seems to have lost this feature w/the upgrade. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Other than cosmetics and native apps, the differences in any of the devices I've tried are very minute. If they can work out the kinks in the newer units, I would gladly recommend any of these devices. The only considerations should be which remote you prefer and which device has the best Customer Service Support.

Both firmwares, V-3 & 3.2 has its good points...

Carl