Quantcast

Jellybean Update And Printer Capability.

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Travel, May 24, 2013.

1. Travel

Travel Active Member

Anyone have a prediction on whether, with the new Jellybean update, if the GS7 will have printer functionality with the "Cloud Printer" or otherwise?

I'm thinking that, with the ARM devices getting regular "Chrome/GoogleTV platform" updates, there may be enhanced capability for the devices that may be similar to, say, the Chromebook , with regard to actually printing-out web pages and e-mail.

Perhaps a "printer app" would be developed for the Google TV platform.

And how about the GS8? What upgrades over the GS7 will that potentially bring?

Oh, and thanks for that thread on the Jellybean update with regard to Flash and HTML5. Very helpful. I'm probably going to get the GS8 box and keep the Revue going at the same time, at least until the Flash/HTML5 "thing" has evolved.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would sure like to see an app to enable printing to a network printer. I probably wouldn't bother with setting up a cloud printer, assuming I even own a printer that could be used in that manner but I do have printers on my home network I would love to use. As far as how the NSZ-GS8 will differ from the NSZ-GS7, I haven't seen anything from Sony or anybody else for that matter.

I am already using first and second generation Google TV models and like you will keep the first generation connected and in use and having Adobe Flash 10.2 available is one reason. We aren't ever going to get an updated version of Flash for Google TV but for now, 10.2 is better than no Flash.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Travel

Travel Active Member

Yes, an uncomplicated solution to using existing printers is what I'm interested in, too.

Right now, along with the Revue, I still have an MSN TV-2 box hooked up to an Epson printer and use it for printing e-mails (a Hotmail/Outlook account, accessed from either the Revue or the customized-for-MSN TV-2 e-mail "app" ) for, say, hotel/car reservations; that kinda thing. The MSN-TV-2 has a running $9/mo. subscription charge I could eliminate along with the box-clutter.

The MSN TV-2 has long been website-access-Flash-obsolete (except for bare bones "non-Flash-version-of-a-website" workarounds that aren't printer-friendly at all) and I pretty much can't print website pages right now.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  4. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

LOL! Another MSNTV2 user.Yep I still have mine but only hook it up to change my e mail sig.Just think what we paid for those obsolete units right out of the box!Well I do have a Win7 desktop but only use it to do taxes since my Sony GS7 does most of my surfing these days.I just want to see the specs for the GS8 myself and and also curious about what Google recently got wifi certification for on a new product. Going to get interesting for sure.I'm with everyone else on the printing app.Would be a nice addition! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Travel

Travel Active Member

Hey, Overtimeman. I'm "Ed" on the Web-Nuts Forum (that's an MSN TV -2 forum, for anyone wondering). It is odd that the absolute first generation (actually a WebTV upgrade box) of internet-on-TV box (and that was analog TV at that) MSN TV-2, which is basically an internet app, is now obsolete in the "era of apps." Well, "odd" if the fact that MSN
    put zero long-range R&D into it is ignored that is.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  6. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Hi Ed,People kinda have a bad taste in their mouths from the way MSN did the TV2.The great thing about GTV is no monthly charge and promises to keep our browser updated.I can't really believe microsoft will really try to bring their so called X Box TV to the market anyways.Apps on our units are OK but far as weather I have the personalized weather map with my street address That I access through the browser at weather.com.Internet on TV is a 100 per cent improvement with android than the outdated IE6 we were tortured with.

• Like Like x 2
  7. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

I thought that Sony will no longer support Googe tv due to weak sales. As I understand it the GS7 will be sony last google tv.

Sony makes their own streaming box.

8. ChrisG8

The NSZ-GS8 has been announced and as far as I know, hasn't been cancelled. The NSZ-GP9 was announced and cancelled.

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Correction. The NSZ-GS8 received Wi-Fi certification from a Wi-Fi web site - and the press got wind of that and spread that news. But the NSZ-GS8 has never been officially "announced" by Sony. There is really no guarantee that it will actually make it to market. For instance the NSZ-GP9 received the same Wi-Fi certification from the same Wi-Fi web site that the NSZ-GS8 did - and then subsequently Sony announced that the NSZ-GP9 was cancelled.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...oogle-tv-device-gets-wi-fi-certification.html

10. ChrisG8

I understand, I didn't mean to imply the NSZ-GS8 had been given an official Sony announcement, only that there is a model number attributed and an announcement made by researchers of impending or possible product releases. The NSZ-GP9 was officially cancelled by Sony and if the NSZ-GS8 was just as dead, I would expect an announcement of that fact by Sony to help liquidate remaining NSZ-GS7 inventory. Sony doesn't want to make an official announcement of the NSZ-GS8, that would have a negative impact on NSZ-GS7 sales but that doesn't mean there won't be an NSZ-GS8, I believe there will be.

11. CatfishRivers

IMO if Sony decides not to market the NSZ-GS8 they probably wouldn't announce anything at all about it being cancelled. This is because Sony never officially announced it in the first place. This in contrast to the NSZ-GP9 that was announced at CES - and mentioned on the Sony web site. But I'm not trying to argue that the NSZ-GS8 won't be released - just pointing out that at this juncture it's certainly not a guaranteed thing. No one really knows for sure yet. But I tend to agree the odds probably favor it being released.

12. Travel

Travel Active Member

You may be thinking of the "Sony TV"; the actual TV with the built-in GoogleTV platform. Sony's actually been the leading manufacturer of the GoogleTV set-top-box, where they've been the first to announce that their boxes will receive updates; as with the Honeycomb updates and now the Jellybean update.

Also, you may be thinking of the Logitech Revue box, which early on cancelled their participation in GoogleTV, due to disappointing sales: many attribute this to an unrealistic price-point of $300 and a non-existent marketing campaign. It's too bad that Logitech, that makes quality products (especially the awesome keyboard that comes with the Revue), was the first, where other manufacturers "went to school on them" on the pricing, instead of the other way around.

13. CatfishRivers

The Sony NSZ-GS7 and the Vizio Co-Star are currently the 2 bestselling GTV boxes - however even those 2 boxes are not really selling very well. For the past month they have been varying between #500 and #1000 on the Amazon Electronics Bestsellers chart.

For comparative purposes when the Revue cost between $200 to $300 - it sold right around #800 or so in the same Amazon Electronics chart.

Considering that current GTV boxes cost much less than the Revue - and have had more updates than the Revue - IMO there is no other way to look at the current sales figures as anything other than disappointing. And other GTV boxes such as the Asus Cube, Netgear, and Hisense box are selling so bad that they are basically off the charts.

Currently as I write this post the Sony NSZ-GS7 is #891 in the Amazon Electronics chart:

Amazon.com: Sony NSZ-GS7 Internet Player with Google TV: Electronics

Last edited: May 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Travel

Travel Active Member

With all the money that these companies have to throw around (especially Google), I've never understood why they don't produce TV commercials to help with "public awareness" of GoogleTV. After all, they're targeting TV viewers for GoogleTV sales. Smartphones don't need commercials, as there are so many people with existing cell phones, and they look for upgrades in the technology anyway. For example, I'm sure that I wouldn't even have known about GoogleTV if it weren't for the fact that I already had a set-top-box (MSN TV-2) and was already "into" the forums and "TV/internet" newsletters, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  15. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

There is no point in pushing the GS7 until it gets 4.2.x and the same development kit as modern Android devices. Once that happens then things will pick up as it's a great media device.

Philip

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  16. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Because people who buy internet streaming devices don't watch commercials? :) Actually, I think it's just too niche right now. When they feel they have a mass market product, they'll market it as such, but it's not and they don't.

17. Travel

Travel Active Member

It does seem that way: they market to internet "techies," and we pay to be, basically, beta testers.

18. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

I'm days away from the Co-Star,but the Revue was nice for a few years..imho the Logitech Tech support team seems to have more faith in the Revue than the Chairman of Logitech..I wonder why that is? I figured while I found the Co-star for a great price I'm going for it :)

19. ChrisG8

I tried the PrinterShare and PrintHand free apps to print test pages, both connected and printed to a network printer. The actual apps to allow printing cost $13 so there may be hope we will see something really good and inexpensive soon after the update to Jelly Bean. I haven't seen any discussion here regarding using one of the existing apps, maybe nobody here has purchased any. I think there are a couple of other printer apps but I didn't check a test page or price.

20. CatfishRivers

The following thread had some information about Printers and the PrinterShare app:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-other-post-can-t-edited-deleted-replied.html