Quantcast

Jeez, this Forum is dead!!!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Carlszone, May 1, 2014.

1. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Google TV is a non-starter here. What are ya gonna do?

Well, I've followed this group for a few years. I gotta say it was a good ride. But, posts about youtube video links that anyone can find for themselves, is the last in a series of non-GTV topics that have taken over this board.

I think this group deserves a formal good bye?

So, Good Bye my friends...

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  2. Travel

Travel Active Member

The Pulse Pro can give GoogleTV a new life. The end of a needless Flash, and a future in HTML5 and Android updates and apps.

3. Carlszone

Yeah, and the LG Jelly Bean update shoulda solved all problems. And all the 2nd gen devices will get the upgrade. And an Android TV will be the salvation of GTV. And yada, yada...

Good luck...

Carl

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

1) First of all I've noticed that at any given time on this Forum only about 5% of the people viewing this forum are registered users. For instance right now as I type this there are 506 people viewing the forum but only 32 registered users. What's up with that? It seems a lot of people just like to browse here but are too lazy to register and contribute anything?

2) It's obvious Google "threw in the towel" for Google TV. They abandoned all the GTV social media over a year ago including the Official Google TV Blog, Facebook, Google+, the GTV YouTube channel and all promotion activities related to GTV. If Google would of kept the GTV Blog going it would of perked more interest and given more subject matter for others to discuss on GTV forums. So now there are "leaked" rumors of an Android TV or whatever. We'll see.

3) I have spoken to the owner of this forum (John Droid) and asked him if I could post in "stealth" mode in the Project Free TV section - because I realize that not everyone comes here for that and some find it distracting. (However there are a lot of people that regularly view the Project Free TV section - so some like it and it brings in a lot of views for the forum). John told me he didn't want to change the way the Forum is structured - in fact he said he sees no problem with my Project Free TV posts at all - and he instructed me to continue doing what I'm doing. I suggest if the Project Free TV posts "bother" you - try talking to John Droid the owner of the forum. I would be fine with posting in "stealth" mode in Project Free TV section - but it's up to the owner.

The following was my email discussion about the Project Free TV section with John Droid the owner (on 01/06/2014):

-- From: CatfishRivers @ Google TV Forums <**********8@gmail.com> --

Hello John Droid,

I have a question. I like to post a lot to the Project Free TV thread - and I think it 'works' for this Forum overall - because that thread continues to attract a lot of views. However some members are only interested in specific GTV issues & threads - and they have mentioned that all of the Project Free TV posts are distracting because they push other GTV posts off of the "recent posts list" (situated on the side of the web page). To be honest I love posting to the Project Free TV thread - but I'm becoming self-conscious that I don't want those posts to "hog the board".

So there have been times when I really wanted to post more to the Project Free TV thread - but I refrained because I didn't want those posts to 'wipe-off' the other GTV related posts in the recent-posts section.

Is there some way where the Project Free TV thread posts wouldn't show up in the recent posts section on the side? I think it would still be OK if it is active on the bottom "recent threads section". Or maybe is there some way to have a separate "recent posts" section especially for the Project Free TV thread?

If I have the freedom to post there without complaints from others about hogging the board - I think I could really make that thread pull a lot of views for you.

What is your opinion about this? Or should I just cut-back on the Project Free TV thread posts? I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, --Jack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Gonzalez <johng@f********.com>

Jack,

I'm checking the site and I have no problem with the amount of Project Free TV threads at all, so until it becomes a problem I would say don't worry about it.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  5. ericd

ericd Active Member

It's not just dead here, there's been a real shortage of any Android news. Hopefully everybody's just waiting till the IO conference to make some announcements. There is a little bit of news trickling out here and there but nothing really solid.

A few of the stories I've been following, but haven't been able to get enough concrete info on...

Hisense 55" GTV's (or as they're being called "Google Play certified") have started to appear at our local Walmarts for $650. The sets that are on display didn't have a remote available so I haven't been able to gather much info on the TV. I also can't find any info on the TV on the Walmart site.

Popcorn Time is working on a new android app that should be out any day now. I'm not a big fan of these types of pirate apps but it should be pretty popular.

Tubi TV just released their app on the 360, Roku app should be coming any day now and they've got an android app (with promised GTV support) in the works

Google Play Music updated today. According to Trallyus (via G+ GTV page) the search feature bug has been fixed

6. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I wouldn't call it the end of needless flash as there is no set time line for flash to be completely phased out of the world wide web.If the IO conference doesn't produce any direction for GTV then we'll have to accept the fact or move on.How many streaming devices can the market hold.Even most Blu Ray players stream rental movies and Netflix.For streaming the Roku3 covers all the bases and Google's new AndroidTV most likely won't have a browser.Well as for as the Pulse Pro I hope the build quality is better than their first product.Carl don't you run off no where cause I've enjoyed your input since our webtv/msntv2 days!Still have the GS7 up and running but the Asus M004U is the best $179 I've ever spent.Take Care!

• Like Like x 2
  7. CatfishRivers

I agree about Flash. Anyone can go to the GTV Issues web site and see all the threads/complaints about Flash to see that it's not needless (for many people):

https://code.google.com/p/googletv-issues/

When you search on the GTV Issues site click the box for "All Issues" - as many threads about Flash have been marked as "closed". The default search setting is for only "open" issues.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Carlszone

Hey Catfish

You don't have to justify why you are posting Project Free TV or any of the other threads. Sorry, I posted about the change in direction of this forum. Not as a criticism of content, but just an observation. GTV just ain't news right now. I should know as I've been posting GTV news in two forums until a short while ago when news on this platform simply died out.

We can't fake an interest in a dead platform...

Carl

• Like Like x 4
  9. Travel

Travel Active Member

Apple and Android think that Flash is needless. I'll go with them in my agreement.

Also, the Pulse Plus is a new set top box with an Android platform including the Jelly Bean update, and it's all the "direction for GTV" that I need. It doesn't really matter that there aren't five different manufacturers' updated boxes, as I only, and would think that most people will only buy, one box, anyway.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  10. Carlszone

Hi Mike

Thanks!!!

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  11. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Hi Travel,if you are mainly interested in surfing the internet safely you have to realize that the JB 4.2 is last years news with Kit Kat 4.4 going out to mobile phones now.Android and Chrome is both owned by Google but Android is more for the mobile market.Do yourself a favor and ask which is best for the long run and what will give me the best return on my money.Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have purchased the second Sony GS7 even at the sale price I got it for.Android has the Google Play Store and Chrome has the Chrome Store so twelve of one or a dozen of the other.I've already have received two browser updates and a flash update to the latest version and have full HTML5 support in the last month.Take Care!

12. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

Well I was going to swing by to say that I've just ordered my first SmartTV (pick up later this week).. WebOS.. kinda sad that such an OS which died and went away has come back and will be better than what Google has done with GoogleTV... I really hope Google does something to revive GTV... I'm just not optimistic... I've been scratching my head for years.. this is a market where no one seems to want to win.... I just don't get it... there is no mystery about what will make a good product, but it seems beyond any/most of them to actually make it (for no technical reason I can see)

FWIW, FireTV would have been my 2nd choice (it was time for a new display anyway)...

the new TV supposedly has MiraCast, so my N5 and N7 may still play a role.

Will have a Revue and CoStar on craigslist in the next few days..not sure if I'll have to pay someone to take them :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. CatfishRivers

Please post a review of your LG WebOS TV after you've had a chance to use it for a while. I would be interested in your opinion on how it shapes up compared to GTV.....

• Like Like x 2
  14. Travel

Travel Active Member

I'm more than well aware of that. I'm saying that the Pulse Pro, which ships with the enhanced ARM chip and the Jelly Bean update and will be "KitKat ready" is "the direction of GTV" that suits me just fine. I thought that I was quite clear on this point in my previous post.

15. ericd

ericd Active Member

zim2dive posted...
    Bingo!!!! You just nailed the whole state of GTV/Android TV and every other streaming device on the market, in one sentence.

Travel posted...
    Where have you heard this? I'm not trying to start an argument or calling you a liar, I just haven't followed development on the Pulse Pro because as overtimeman stated,
    . Aside from a handful of Chinese ATV devices running hacked versions of the 4.4 OS, I haven't seen even a hint of news about Kit Kat coming to any of the current Gen 2 or upcoming Gen 3 devices.

It's just hard for me to get excited about an upcoming announcement of a new streaming box (be it from Hisense or Google) if it's operating system is already starting out a full generation behind the current standard. When Kit Kat was first announced Android 4.4 KitKat TV Play: Google to dominate TV, like smartphones | BGR it seemed like a no-brainer for release on the GTV/ATV platform. 6-7 months later and not a peep from any of the major players. If Google's big announcement at I/O is a new streaming box running 4.2 JB then I agree with Carl

16. Carlszone

Ya know, it's kinda sad! I know a few individuals that have GTVs in every room of their house. They believed in this platform. For them to realize that their new HDTVs and GTV devices are basically dead as far as upgrades are concerned is a painful reality. So, don't think I am gloating at GTV's demise. I don't want to be right about this.

Why do companies not feel the need to be honest w/their most loyal customers? Doesn't anyone at least say goodbye?

Hey, I'll always follow this group. Mayhaps, we'll find another worthy topic that will revitalize this group.

Carl

• Like Like x 4
  17. Travel

Travel Active Member

The Pulse Pro is updated GoogleTV. And it'll retain the cable overlay, Search, Prime Time, Play Store and other great GoogleTV Services. I'm not sad in the least.

Also, why wouldn't a Jelly Bean enabled box with the enhanced chip be able to be upgraded to the KiKat? Of course it can. Also, If "ericd" can produce a qupte from me where I've ever said that there was an announcement that the Pulse Pro would be upgraded to Kit Kat, i'd like to see it. I've never said that. I said that the Pulse Pro is "KItKat ready," which means able to be upgraded, which it is.

Putting words into someone's mouth, is trying to start an argument, btw.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  18. Travel

Travel Active Member

Hopefully a topic more productive and worthy than your thread-title topic of this thread : "Jeez, This Forum Is Dead"

19. ericd

ericd Active Member

So is every other Android device on the market. The Kit Kat OS is designed to run on lower powered Android devices, no enhanced chip necessary. You were the one that mentioned the Pulse Pro was going to be "Kit Kat ready", like that was something important.

How is quoting you putting words in your mouth (although,admittedly, I did leave out the part of your post that referred to the enhanced chip, which has no bearing on the units ability to run Android 4.4)

Man you need to relax, you can't view every question you're asked as a personnal attack. When the Pulse Pro is finally released I hope you're happy with the purchase but as I said before, I'm just not too excited about a streaming device that's running last years OS.

20. Travel

Travel Active Member

1) The Pulse Pro is "KitKat ready," it's you who took exception to this for some reason. Sorry, but it happens to be true.

2) You falsely assigned to me as stating that there's an announcenent for a KitKat update for the Pulse Pro. I never said that, and your lack of proof that I ever did is obvious. I merely stated that the Pulse Pro was "KitKat ready," and that's a true statement.

Your passive/aggresive behavior and trying to nitpick other posters' statements is exactly what the moderators want to stop.