Quantcast

Java Yahoo! Finance Stock Screener

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by guest, May 9, 2013.

1. guest

guest Active Member

Stock Screener - Yahoo! Finance

Is there an application that will permit a Google TV to use the Java Yahoo! Finance Stock Screener? I've used the HTML version for years, but the Java version adds a few more useful features.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

No. There is a JAVA plug-in for desktop Chrome browsers - but the GTV Chrome browser doesn't support plug-ins (plus GTV is based on android). Even though some android apps are coded with JAVA by developers - the apps don't support "normal" JAVA for the user.

Java plug-in - Google Chrome Help

Alternative android browsers such as Dolphin won't work with JAVA either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to a thread that explains JAVA (and lack of it) on android:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=364786

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  3. guest

guest Active Member

I should have put this in the original post. How about a Samsung Chromebook? Or does it need to be a "desktop" computer?

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Hi. Chromebooks don't support JAVA. In the FAQ section for Chrome devices - Google recommends using "virtualization and remoting options" instead.

FAQ - Chrome for Business Help

From the Chrome devices FAQ:

"Chrome devices have Flash support built-in, but they do not support Java or Silverlight. If you need Java, Silverlight, or other plug-in support, there are virtualization and remoting options you can use for Chrome devices. See the chapter on Remote Access and Virtualization in the Chrome Devices for Education Technical Planning Guide (PDF)."

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

That is one of the reasons I chose a Win 8 Desktop over the Chromebook. While the Chromebook seemed to be the ideal complement for my GTV devices, the thought of having basically the same limitations on all my internet access options just didn't make sense. My cheap Win 8 built specifically w/entertainment in mind gives me the best of both world. Even tho I hate SilverLight, I hate limitations even more...

Good Luck

Carl

• Like Like x 2