Quantcast

Itsy-Bitsy $45 Computer Sports Android and Linux

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 4, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57601302-1/itsy-bitsy-$45-computer-sports-android-and-linux/ (click for full article)

Itsy-Bitsy $45 Computer Sports Android and Linux

by Amanda Kooser
    September 4, 2013 11:34 AM PDT

I want to take it home and feed it.

I wouldn't call most computers "cute," but I'll make an exception for the CuBox-i mini-computer from SolidRun. It fits all of its hardware, including an HDMI port, IR receiver, and USB ports, into a 2-inch square black box. It runs Android and Linux. It's like a pet rock that's actually useful.

There are a handful of permutations of the CuBox-i, but the the CuBox-i1 is a real attention-getter, based mostly on its super-low $45 price tag. It comes with a single-core GC880 GPU and 512MB of memory. Those specs aren't going to blow you out of the water, but at that price, they don't have to.

SolidRun's previous CuBox lineup started at $120, so the new versions are coming in at some pretty low price points. Even the top-of-the-line CuBox-i4Pro (which includes a much faster processor, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and 2GB of memory) has a cost of just $120.

The entire CuBox-i mini-computer line is currently available to preorder. They are all small enough and cheap enough to keep tinkerers, Android fans, and cheap-PC-seekers plenty well entertained.

The CuBox i From SolidRun | The Litle Computer that can <---(click for the Cubox-i web site)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

No where do they mention, that I could see, if it comes preloaded with Android or Linux or where you would make that selection.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what this has over the various Chinese Android TV dongles that range from $42 for a dual core/1GB up to $80 for a quad core/2GB.

4. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Currently many android boxes or dongles come to me, with different hardwares. I'm wonder if a 512MB is good enough for a web/online video playing, or do I need someone with 1G or 2G DDR RAM?

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Going with a single core device with just 512MB of RAM would be like going back to a phone developed 3 generations ago such as the original Samsung Galaxy S.

It should be capable of playing videos just fine, but the Galaxy S was originally shipped with a 480x800 pixel display and Android 2.1. Anything beyond that, could potentially stress the hardware.

All most of us do with our Google Tvs is to play videos, but somehow that still seems to bog down as we switch from App to App. Personally, I just can't see spending money on an Android device with anything less a quad core CPU and 2GB of RAM. The ChromeCast is an exception because it's a dedicated device which does little other than streaming video. It doesn't have a UI.