Quantcast

It's Official - The Sony NSZ-GS8 Has Been Discontinued

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 17, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Amazon.com: Sony NSZGS8 Internet Player with Google TV (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Electronics

From the above link:

** Sony NSZGS8 Internet Player with Google TV (Discontinued by Manufacturer) **

IMO it would of been nice if Sony/Amazon had posted this information as soon as the price was slashed to $99. I saw the writing on the wall - however judging from the reviews on Amazon some purchasers of this device thought that it was a 'current' device and would receive full support/updates from Sony/Google going forward.

It's obvious to me that the decision to discontinue this device was made before the price was slashed to $99 (in order to clear out inventory) - but Sony waited until the inventory was cleared-out before making it official.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  2. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Guess it's not as bad as the first generation of Revue users who got screwed for $300!If the Android unit doesn't do more than my Roku3 then I'm not going to invest my hard earned money in any more electronic devices.Sony still makes top quality products but I wonder if they are going to jump into the all mighty Android market this time around.Piss on it!I'm frustrated and fed up with GoogleTV!

• Like Like x 2
  3. CatfishRivers

I paid $249 for my Logitech Revue and I'm still using it everyday for about 3.5 years now. I might try to keep it for 4 years and then I'll probably buy a Chromebox -:) I feel good that I didn't waste any money 'upgrading' to generation 2 GTV boxes. It's been mentioned that Sony intends to come out with a high-end Android TV television in 2015. Nothing mentioned about a Sony Android TV box - (and that isn't likely because in the Fall Sony is supposed to release their Playstation TV box).

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-media-streaming-box-coming-america-99-a.html

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've felt like we've been attending a funeral on this board for months ... but the deceased refused to show up for it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Good grief, now everything I own is discontinued except Chromecast. The TiVoHD I use daily was discontinued 4 years ago. The other discontinued consumer electronics devices I own, Android tablet, HP TouchPad, HTC Android smart phone, PS3, Yamaha AVRs, LG Plasma HDTVs, Vizio LCD HDTV, Rokus, Logitech Harmony remotes, and the list goes on and on.

6. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

Sony did not even have had the slightest courtesy to communicate it directly to their loyal users...

As I always have said, SONY is only interested in their Xperia Cell-Phones and the Playstation!

WHAT A SHAME!!!

7. CatfishRivers

IMO all of the other second-generation GTV boxes have also been discontinued - just nothing has been officially announced by the manufacturers (as they're trying to clear out the remaining inventory). The exception to this is the Sony NSZ-GU1 Bravia Stick which runs a different chip and is running the Jellybean OS. Sony might keep it around a bit longer.

I noticed that the Vizio Co-Star hasn't been in stock on their own web site for several months. The Asus Cube is going for $29.99 (including a $20 rebate from Asus) on Groupon. All of these devices are toast.

8. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

It just sucks that last year they stated the GTV boxes would get the updated os, by 3rd or 4th quarter. I don't remember the exact details. An when chromecast came out then they stated the GTV boxes would get that feature later on in a software update.

For now my Sony still works ok, and for things that don't work I use my Note 3, with a Mirra cast adapter connected to the tv. Basically a workaround for Hulu, HBO Go, and other apps.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

9. ChrisG8

Hardly, all GTV models I use work fine, none are toast. The Rokus I use, TiVos I use, PCs I use, HDTVs I use, all discontinued, all work fine. If you thought a consumer electronics device won't be discontinued within a year or two of purchase, you really haven't owned many and haven't been paying much attention.

10. CatfishRivers

You misunderstood my meaning. By toast I meant that second generation GTV devices have been discontinued and aren't likely to receive any more updates. I could of worded that better. I agree that depending on one's needs they can still be functional. That's why I still use my Revue. But I'll stick to my claim that they've all been discontinued.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  11. ChrisG8

It does appear all are discontinued and won't likely see further updates which is unfortunate, I would like to see the NSZ-GS7/GS8 updated to Jellybean. I don't know what is required to modify the NSZ-GU1 Jellybean version to the NSZ-GS7/GS8 but I would think Sony with Google's help is more than capable so I won't say we have no chance. I would settle for being able to modify the NSZ-GU1 to my dumb LG plasma TVs but I suspect that is impossible.

12. overtimeman

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  13. overtimeman

It's still available up on sony.com for $99 for what it's worth.Would have been better if they never mentioned anything about an upgrade or chromecast support back in January 2013.We'll get over it and life will go on.

14. oblivion0

oblivion0 New Member

Glad I returned my GS8 now that I see its discontinued. Bought it as an upgrade in lieu of Google IO and the latest GTV announcement - immediately returned it upon learning Google was letting GTV sunset.

Alas, the tradeoff of being an early adopter. Asus Chromebox sounds interesting...

15. overtimeman

Go for it dude!Got all the streaming movie apps GTV has and while on facebook you can actually watch the videos with no problem.The only thing it doesn't have is HDMI pass through but the search on my Roku searches all the movie apps for anything you are looking for.Make sure to pair it with the Logitech K400 keyboard.Once you experience the speed of Chrome you'll never look back.

16. oblivion0

oblivion0 New Member

The thing is, I'm wondering how sustainable Chrome OS will be over time. As we've seen with Google shelving prior versions GoogleTV in lieu of AndroidTV, I'm curious is Chrome OS may suffer the same fate.

Also, the biggest drawback right now is the inability to run Android apps on ChromeOS (especially if you've already invested hard-earned dollars in Android apps)...granted, app compatibility is limited with my Logitech Revue today already..

For its current price point, I may hold out for a little while and see how AndroidTV evolves from within the ether. It seems silly that Google has self-fragmented their two operating systems - meanwhile the Android dev team is trying their damnedest to get the framework to be device agnostic.

Regardless, I appreciate the positive feedback for the Chromebox. Also as a sidebar - is Vimu compatible/available on ChromeOS?

17. CatfishRivers

Chrome OS device sales have been good and are gaining momentum as time goes on. Also Google is guaranteeing support for Chromebooks/Chromeboxes for 5 years:

Google Chromebooks now get 5 years of support - Liliputing

There is talk that Google is working on enabling support for android apps on Chrome OS. In the meantime Chrome OS has numerous Chrome extensions from the Chrome Web Store. Android has the Google Play Store and Chrome OS has the Chrome Web Store.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  18. Travel

Travel Active Member

Another thing about the GS7 is that it's great for audio/Dolby, and also has a Digital Audio Optical Out. You might run into problems with a sound bar through the Chromebook/Chromebox. You could use an HDMI splitter maybe, but how are these devices for pass through audio? Some of them have audio input/output ports, but at what quality?

Some Chromebooks/boxes, if not most of them, only support up to 720p. I saw one of the expensive ones ($350) with 4GB RAM that supports 4k, but that was an exception.

The Acer C7 is the only Chromebook that I know of with an ethernet connection. The Chromeboxes have ethernet, but maybe only with the expensive versions, not sure about that per manufacturer-brand.

Also, the Chromebooks/box only supports Google Cloud Printing; no drivers. No idea if you can use the PrinterShare app or if it'll work with an existing non-cloud printer.

I hope that Pulse Pro comes out.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  19. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Speaking of expensive, I suppose there's always the Mac Mini / Mini-PC approach (ex: NUC).

I haven't really given those or the Chrome Book approaches much thought, though.

No big rush, really. I own enough devices that I can find something to play back what I want.

20. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Heh, the hard thing is finding something worth watching. I seem to have more playback devices than interesting content.

Philip