Quantcast

It's dead, Jim.

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by jschall, May 10, 2015.

1. jschall

jschall Member

My two-year-old NSZ-GS7 has died a miserable death.

It was working fine until last Thursday afternoon. I had just ordered my new Nexus Player from the Play Store. All of a sudden, my Google TV refused to get an IP address from my router. I tried a factory reset and a complete hardware reset, to no avail.

Is it a coincidence that my GS7 died the same day I ordered my Android TV device?

I think not.

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It may not be dead, I would start with rebooting the router if you haven't already done that and try Ethernet cable if you have rebooted. That doesn't sound like the typical dead Google TV box to me.

In any event, let us know how you like the Nexus Player.

3. Travel

Travel Active Member

My GS7 began doing it's own daily factory resets, and I had to buy another one a couple of months ago.

I'm still planning on getting the Nvidia Sheild, and the Chromebit for a browser, but I'm waiting for a full array of reviews to come out on Anazon before making the move.

The Chromebook/Box is tempting, but I like the Nvida Sheild and Chrombit "assemble your own updated GoogleTV" route, because of the Android ecosystem/Google account tie-in, and compatibility. But, mostly, it's the "media player box" advantage with full DD+ capability, Android apps, and updates, etc.

The Nexus box is good too, as, from what I understand, Google will be directly giving updates to the box, themselves. However, Nvidia is supposed to have a good reputation for timely updates, and hopefully they'll work well with Google in processing their updates. Also, it's hard to resist the Nvidia Shield's 3 GB RAM, major GPU capability, and 4k ready.

4. jschall

jschall Member

Rebooting my Sagemcom router did nothing. It's dead. Long live Android TV!

5. saeba

saeba Active Member

Good luck with the Nexus Player and finding a use for it.

I must say, I've been disappointed with mine. We're now six months after launch and it's still missing many of the features and capabilities that were found in GoogleTV (like a Vudu app).

I find myself using my TiVo more and more - Vudu, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Yahoo Video, YouTube and Plex is coming in next release. TiVo now can stream to Android and iOS clients both in home and outside.With the new OnePass capability, you can track and launch viewing of both TV recordings and streaming content from one MyShows UI.

Currently, all I use the Nexus Player for is Crunchyroll (Anime) and as a web browser. And the web browsing is limited as it doesn't support Flash (unlike the GTV).