Quantcast

It Looks Like Dish Network Is Dropping Support For Enhanced Integration With GTV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 28, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Based on the following thread from the Google+ Google TV Community it appears as though Dish Network is dropping support for their "Enhanced Integration" feature with GTV:

https://plus.google.com/106695724985230600009/posts/JSVVHCzjNk6

Can anybody else with Dish Network service confirm?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I know we have a few Dish Network subscribers here. The enhanced integration with Dish Network was an added value for those users and this is bad news in my opinion.

3. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Crushing blow if true. I don't have Dish, and know nothing about their implementation - but integration with my DVR (done well) would be sweet.

4. BubbaHotep

BubbaHotep New Member

I have Dish, and two Revues. the so called "enhanced Integration" was never really worth the extra cost of the service.

5. CatfishRivers

Here is a blast from the past. It's an article from 3 years ago when Dish announced it's enhanced integration with GTV:

Dish Network officially starts pushing Google TV integration

From the official press release:

-- ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Nov. 10, 2010, (NASDAQ: DISH) - DISH Network L.L.C. (Nasdaq: DISH) today announced that DISH Network's Google TV solution is now available to customers for the lowest price on the market: $179. By combining robust search capabilities and the variety of content on the Web with DISH Network's onscreen programming data, DVR and Video on Demand content, DISH Network delivers a seamless entertainment experience resulting in the most advanced integration of Google TV on the market.

"Only DISH Network customers will have access to the most fully-featured Google TV experience available, which includes our unique pairing protocol for simultaneous search capabilities across Web and DVR content, as well as DISH Network's VOD programming," said DISH Network Chief Marketing Officer Ira Bahr. "Customers can now surf the Web, check email, interact with social media, and find additional online television content all from the comfort of their living room sofa."

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  6. jwalter007

jwalter007 New Member

i know this is an older post, but it must have happened. after my tv updated to 4.2, the other day my dish connection/integration was lost, i have been searching for an answer and this explains it. too bad.

7. CatfishRivers

Sorry to hear about that. I thnk the only way GTV will have full enhanced integration in the USA is if Google starts their own IPTV Live TV service. None of the TV providers in the USA (other than Dish Network at the GTV launch) have shown any interest in opening up to GTV. Unfortunately it doesn't seem likely that Google will have an IPTV Live TV service any time soon. Intel tried and their project turned into vaporware. The problem is not technology related - it's cutting the content deals.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  8. CatfishRivers

• Like Like x 2
  9. Travel

Travel Active Member

Reminds me of the Vizio announcement that they weren't updating their current box to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. it looked like the beginning of the box manufacturers' bailing-out on GoogleTV. Then, a while later, Vizio announced that they were producing a new, 3rd generation box with an enhanced chip that ships with the Jelly Bean update. Dish is doing something similar in that they're not giving up on media integration, they're just going in a slightly different direction.
    I hope Sony also announces a positive "twist" on their box-update situation this week at CES. A new, 3rd generation "Android box," upgraded all the way to the KitKat update would be good. They're taking so long to update the current boxes that "something must be going on." If Sony just drops all plans for updating beyond Honeycomb, they're as good as out of the GoogleTV box business.

10. ChrisG8

I haven't seen either official announcement from Vizio. Do you know where I could find these announcements? Reports on statements that Vizio representatives made over phone calls or internet chat sessions are nothing more than hearsay to me and subject to misinterpretation or other mistakes.

11. Travel

Travel Active Member

You don't believe that there is an announcement that Vizio is coming out with the "Pulse Pro"?

Here, read this:
    HiSense unveils Android-powered H6 Smart TVs and Pulse PRO set-top box

Correction:

I meant to say Hisense, not Vizio.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  12. ChrisG8

I had seen an announcement on the upcoming Hisense model but not on a new model from Vizio. I don't think there will be a new Vizio model.

13. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, like I say: I misspoke, and was talking about the Hisense box.