Quantcast

It crashed my whole system!

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by seanR, Nov 17, 2011.

1. seanR

seanR New Member

I got a G-TV box today, hooked it up to my system and everything went to H E double toothpicks!
    The Cable box gave me the dreaded 'DVI' signal, and the TV said "Incompatible device".
    The cable box is a Motorola HD/DVR from Charter, the TV is a Bravio, and the the AV reciever is a Yamaha V667. nothing is old, so I don't understand why I an having so much trouble.
    Everything worked and still does if I take the Goobox out of the equation.

Did I just grab a bad one or what?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're having High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) problems which could be caused by a faulty HDMI cable. So, try testing that out first. However, it could also be a problem with the firmware on the Motorola DVR. Some television providers are imposing a two device depth limit on their customers, e.g., Set-Top Box => AV Receiver => Television. Comcast is pretty notorious about this condition, but I haven't head about many complaints from Charter customers. So, it could be possible that your DVR's firmware just needs to be updated by your cable company.

Otherwise, the work around to your AV system would be like this Motorola DVR > Logitech Revue > Bravio Television with HDMI cables, then Logitech Revue > Yamaha AV Receiver with an digital optical cable.

If that doesn't work then go ahead and swap the box. It could be faulty.

3. seanR

seanR New Member

I pulled the box out of the rack and hooked it directly to the TV with a HDMI cable and it woks fine.
    I have tried all 5 ports on the receiver and it doesn't work on any of them.
    I have been on tech support chat with both Charter and Sony, but so far neither on has been any help.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Have you tried Motorola DVR (HDMI)> Sony Google TV Blu-Ray Player (HDMI)> Bravio Television and Sony Google TV Blu-Ray Player (Optical)> Yamaha AV Receiver? It looks there are two optical inputs for your receiver, each one on AV1 and AV4.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  5. seanR

seanR New Member

No I do not have any optical cables.
    I called Sony support and he asked me why I have the cable box connected to the blu disk player.
    And started telling me about IR blasters.
    Charter is blaming Sony now Sony is blaming Yamaha.
    I will call them next.
    I used to be pretty good at hooking this stuff up.....

FWIW, the rack is 30 feet away in a closet and the A/V feed is through CAT6 and baluns, so attaching the BD player directly to the TV is not possible....

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Do you have another HDMI output device, like a Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Apple TV, Laptop, or anything except the the Motorola Cable/DVR Box? One way to tell which device is at fault is by switching them out. I ask because the limitations of the HDMI depth and devices imposed by different cable companies is a well documented problem.

7. seanR

seanR New Member

It is defiantly the blu ray player.
    I took it back to Best Buy and got another on plus an optical cable.
    It is connected that way now and I still have the same problem.

8. seanR

seanR New Member

"Unsupported signal, please check the device input"

9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I take it that this also happens only with this configuration: Logitech Revue (HDMI)> Baluns> (CAT6) > Baluns> (HDMI) Television

10. seanR

seanR New Member

So no HDMI extenders?
    I am not going to balance it on the fire place mantle......

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Actually, I was asking a question not making a statement. I don't know whether or not you've been able to localize the problem to the extenders. I only remember you saying that connecting it directly to the TV worked fine. However, I don't know whether or not if you tested it with just the HDMI extenders.

12. seanR

seanR New Member

Sorry to sound short, this has been a very long and agonizing process.
    I called Sony support and talked to three different 'techs' who just read off of flow charts.
    I unplugged and plugged back in swapped cables, turned on turned off, etc.
    One of the techs asked me to hook it up via composite cables. That mad me mad!
    "How can you assist me setting this thing up if you don't even know what the hell you are talking about!"
    Which pretty much ended my 1:45(hour) phone call to India.
    I am going to take it down stairs and hook it directly to the TV down there and see if I can get somewhere.
    For the life of me I can not figure out why the baluns would make a difference, they are high quality professional grade, not the cheap 'oneprice' ones.
    I just may call geek squad....

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I apologize for reiterating my question but I don't want to assume anything that you had not written. But, did you try connecting the Sony Google TV Blu-Ray Player as the only device connected to the baluns media extender and the television? It would seem to me if you an separate all the other possibilities and concentrate on singling out the component that is hindering connectivity then you can concentrate in communicating with that specific manufacturer. Since you had not confirmed that you had tried the spartan configuration it is hard to give you follow up advice.

The only thing that you had confirmed at this point is that connecting the Sony Blu-Ray player directly to the television made it work. So, it would seem to me that there's nothing wrong with either the television nor the Blu-Ray player. At this juncture I suppose can offer an educated guess and recommend calling the manufacturer of the bauln extender. They may have unique information concerning using their devices with various other equipment.

Of course, if you just come to this forum to vent then please let me know and I'll stop annoying you with my suggestions.

14. seanR

seanR New Member

No not at all, I would like to get this thing up and running.
    I apologize and thank you for your suggestions.
    I will try a few more things tomorrow, I need a break form it.
    I will post up any findings.
    Here is my set up, Charter Motorola DVR cable box <HDMI> Yamaha A/V receiver <HDNI> Binary single Cat 6 balun <CAT 6> Binary single Cat 6 balun <HDMI> Sony Bravia TV
    Things work perfectly with this set up and I have no idea why I am having problems now.
    [h=1][/h]

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Alright, once you're able to minimize your configuration for troubleshooting purposes to ONLY Sony Blu-Ray Player <HDMI> Binary single Cat 6 balun <CAT 6> Binary single Cat 6 balun <HDMI> Sony Bravia TV then please let us know the results. Also, who is the manufacturer of the "Binary single Cat 6 balun"?

16. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I went ahead and looked up, "Binary single Cat 6 balun" on Google and found that SnapAV has support videos for the Binary device. This might help you troubleshoot the problem further if you were able to consolidate the problem to the balun itself. Here is the link to the page: "SnapAV - Binary" and at the bottom click on the "Support" tab then in the video selection choose, "Binary™ HDMI Extenders FAQ".

17. seanR

seanR New Member

It was the Baluns!