Quantcast

Issues again

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Wolvee, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Wolvee

Wolvee New Member

Lately It has seem like it has been overheating and today it started freezing. Netflix, Plex both completely stop responding. The first couple times the screen just went blank. The last two times lines appeared on the screen. (See Below) We have a warranty and it's being replaced as I type this but it seems like both of our GS8's had unfixable issues.

Are these flawed in design?

Are there any other smart boxes out there worth their weight? I love the features of the non IR remote and HTR vol control.

Have you guys seen this problem?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. retroben

retroben Active Member

I have seen that dreaded vertical bar freeze (mostly with Chrome at random) on my GS7,and some different looking versions,but I have not seen it anymore for quite a while.
    You will just have to press Ctrl+Shift+Backspace to restart your unit,and everything should be fine.

You should have your unit on a flat surface.
    I have mine on the edge of a dresser for a better airflow.

DO NOT PUT IT INSIDE OF A MULTIMEDIA SHELF!

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Yeah did you try rebooting as retroben mentioned? Also I would try a factory reset if rebooting doesn't fix it.

4. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The GS7/GS8 on whole are reasonably heat tolerant, but you can always test that theory by putting the device out in the open and blowing a fan on it. If your problems clear up ...

5. Wolvee

Wolvee New Member

After it restarted it was fine for a while then it would eventually happened again. Since it's under warranty we just replaced it again.

I can't seem to find any other boxes that have an IR blaster and a smart remote. Do any of you know of any? I feel like I'm on the cusp of building an XBMC box if this new one starts having issues again.

..Admittedly I'm still bitter my Netflix still doesn't have user profiles and there's no Hulu, lol.

6. Wolvee

Wolvee New Member

I got the new one set up and it's running like a champ. Although still a bit slow in the UI it's much better than the last box. I imagine the last one got slower over time and I didn't realize it.

7. retroben

retroben Active Member

Try the things I have in my GS7 peaked performance thread if you can find it.
    My GS7 is running at an ultra smooth performance right now.

There is a benchmark app I call "benchmark exploit" that has really helped my performance quite a lot.

When I stopped using seeder,it starting running even faster from the lowered usage of seeder being disabled and closed by the "force stop" action.