Quantcast

Israel's Boxee Reaches Pact With Comcast On Streaming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 16, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Israel's Boxee reaches pact with Comcast on streaming - Globes (click for full article)

"Although Israeli start-up Boxee Inc. has been facing heavy pressure from US cable companies, it has refused to give up and has chalked up small victories as it fits into the US television market.

Now it has won a big victory: in a joint statement to the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Boxee and Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMSCA), the largest cable television provider in the US, announced that they reached agreement on the free reception of content channels via Boxee's media streaming device, the Boxee Box.

In early 2012, Boxee launched a designated USB standard for its streamer, which allows users to view television channels broadcast over the air. However, in the US cable companies' fight against piracy, Comcast lobbied for FCC rules that would allow it and other cable companies to encrypt broadcasts so that they would only be available via the companies' converters. They said that the measure was necessary to fight piracy."

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Launched a designated USB standard for its streamer? What does this agreement have to do with OTA? I had assumed I would read about an agreement for Comcast internet users with Comcast cable TV being able to access content using Boxee but I can't tell what this agreement is after that nonsense.