Quantcast

Is this possible? One Computer, Multiple TVs/Chromecasts

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by grayaii, Aug 29, 2013.

1. grayaii

grayaii New Member

We have 3 chromecasts and 3 TVs.

Can we have 1 computer connect to all 3 chromecasts?

Right now, we can only connect 1 computer to 1 chromecast.

We can't figure out how to connect 1 computer to 2 or more chromecasts.

Thanks!

2. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

You should be able to cast to multiple CC from one computer (not simultaneously). All cast devices will be listed in the "Cast button" pull-down menu (you need to first setup each CC from chromecast app).

* Once cast devices are (setup &) connected to the network, they should be listed in the "Cast button" pull-down menu in any (supported) computer(s)/ phone(s)/ tablet(s) that is connected to the same network.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  3. grayaii

grayaii New Member

We tried that, but when we cast to one chromecast, the other stops casting, and vice versa.
    We can't figure out how to get both of them to work at the same time.

Have you actually tried this, or better yet, if you have 2 chromecasts lying around, can you try this?

We *really* want to get this to work, but no matter what we try, it just doesn't seem possible to us.

Thanks for the quick reply!

4. robr

robr New Member

same issue here. 6 TVs, 6 ChromeCasts. The idea was to assign one tab to each TV, but it doesn't work that way. Doesn't look like this is supported. One solution proposed was running 6 virtual machines but that would just be a pain to administer. Back to the drawing board.

5. grayaii

grayaii New Member

We tried the virtual machine approach with VirtualBox and it works at home, but here in the office it does not (it's probably something to do with the security setup in our office wireless network).
    In a nutshell, the virtual machines, despite having a bridged network, do not get a unique IP and therefore cannot cast to an alternate chromecast.
    We're still playing around with VirtualBox to get it to work on our office network, but so far, no luck.

6. DonnRM

DonnRM New Member

This may not be a solution, but it's a workaround I've been using. I have 3 chromecasts, 3 TV's, and one computer.

in chrome, it is possible to create different users thought the settings menu in the upper right corner. For each chromecast I have, I've created a new user in chrome with the same name (living room, office, & master bedroom). I then open three different chrome windows on my desktop, and switch each window to a different user via the settings menu. Now, each window is working independently, and can cast to separate chromecasts simultaneously.

Theres difficulty working with full screen, but at least this is close.