Quantcast

Is there any software/chrome web app to control the google tv from a windows pc?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by TVGoog, Jan 25, 2012.

1. TVGoog

TVGoog New Member

Is there any software/chrome web app to control the google tv from a windows pc (edit) over WIFI?
    Something similar to Able Remote but installed on the PC or on the Chrome Browser?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Not really. You can use the Android SDK and use the Dalvik Debug Monitor to create screenshots or check other stuff. But, not really anything to remote control the Google TV box. I suppose you can try using the YouWave Android emulator to run one of the Google TV remote apps on your PC.

3. TVGoog

TVGoog New Member

Nice. Thank you for the idea. Will give it a shot and see if that will work as a workaround.
    (I must confess, at first my slow brain didn't seem to understand why you were suggesting an emulator. :D)

4. TVGoog

TVGoog New Member

Instead of buying the pricey YouWave, I am gonna give "blog.varunkumar.me/2010/11/how-to-install-android-market-in-google.html" a shot.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

AirDroid gives you limited functionality, also...

6. TVGoog

TVGoog New Member

Yeah, but I want something to control the Google TV from my laptop which is always accessible on my couch where as the remotes, keyboard, my old droid which has Able Remote get under the mountain of couch pillows and can never find them.
    Last night I was able to get the Android Emulator up and running with Able Remote on it. Works like a charm.... BUT!!.... there is always that butt..... the emulator will not shutdown and having to kill the session means that the apps and login credentials are not saved and I have to re-do every thing.... log-in with credentials, adb shell to give read write acccess to /system/apps, push the apks all over again, re-initiate the connection/access on app market with able remote (for paid-app functionalities), change the able remote buttons to suit me.... and start using the app... i'd rather get off my butt and hunt the regular remote or the droid down.... much faster.

Have not given up altogether..... will keep looking for alternate fast and cheaper options.

7. danger-rat

danger-rat Moderator Staff Member

AirDroid is an app that you install on your Android device (Revue), which let's you connect to it remotely via a browser (your PC). It has limited functionality, like I said, but you can launch apps...

If you combine it with say a chrome plug in (I've had some success with the Direct TV remotes), then you'll get a bit closer to what you want...

8. xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx New Member

What is the secret to this?

I have the Java and Android SDKS, I have adb, I have ddms.bat and I now have all my system paths setup correctly.

I hit the command line, I type:
    adb connect ip address<enter>

adb reports it connects.

I hit ddms, and the Dalvik Debugger reports no devices connected.

Please advise.

X

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Glad you figured it out. Personally, I'm lazy. So, I modified the DDMS batch file to use adb connect before (and disconnect after) I use it. At the beginning of the ddms.bat file, but immediately after the "@echo off" statement append the following lines.

Of course, your directory path to adb.exe may vary and you need to supply the correct IP address for your Google TV box(es). Anyways, at the end of the file append the following. Same contingencies applies.