Quantcast

Is there any hope of ever being able to play videos over a samba network share?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Raketemensch, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Raketemensch

Raketemensch New Member

I've just started playing with my Revue, and am appalled that this capability is missing. I really am.

Other than this glaring omission, I love this thing. The HDMI input and ability to control my DirecTV DVR is the bomb.... But I was hoping for something of an app store (Spotify anyone?), and maybe someday ports of Plex or XBMC, either of which would handle the missing network abilities...

Yes, I've set up a DLNA server, no I don't think it's a real option, it's pretty much ***** imho, having to set up something to transcode video across the network when you have a device that is 100% capable of using the open source samba to just mount a file share...

Has there been any word of this capability in the future, or are we stuck with DLNA?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

No, Logitech hasn't said anything about adding the ability to their Media Player to access files from any network resource other than a DNLA server. However, there's no reason for the DNLA server to transcode your media files if they are compatible with your DNLA client. My standalone NAS uses Twonky as a DNLA server. It streams the files as-is since the transcode libraries have been removed. This is due to its 800mhz Marvell processor's inability to proficiently transcode on the fly.