Quantcast

Is there an ETA on Vizio's new GTV products?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by misfit410, May 7, 2012.

1. misfit410

misfit410 New Member

I don't want to limit my TV choices to those running GTV, I like the idea of a cheap, set top box..
    I honestly loved the revue at first but ever since the honey comb update it's been nothing short of a flaming piece of..........well, you get the point.
    I'm tired of having to spam the refresh button every time I want to see what's on TV.

but I'm still sold on Google tv as a whole, I just feel I got the wrong device to showcase it, really am interest in the ones coming down the pipes and was curious if anyone has heard any updates on when Vizio may be putting them on the market, I see LG is releasing the TV's this month so I'm hoping it's all soon.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

According to this article (see link below) Vizio has delayed the release of it's GTV televisions until the fall:

Vizio's Google TV delayed until early fall, now edge-lit | CES 2012: Televisions - CNET Blogs

However I believe that article is only referring to the full televisions - and not the GTV set-top box. There has been no official announcement from Vizio regarding a release date or the price.

I saw an article from a few months back that said Vizio would begin taking preorders for the set-top box in the spring - and it would cost $99. But like I said nothing official mentioned yet from Vizio. You can sign up on the Vizio web site for email notification regarding further information (as it becomes available) about their GTV set-top box.

Sony announced that they will be releasing a GTV set-top box in Europe in September (for the equivalent price of $266) and a second generation GTV blu-ray player for the equivalent of $399. They did not specifically mention a USA release date or price in their announcement.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I see nothing from Vizio that makes me believe the company will have any Google TV set top products by this fall. I hope Sony and LG do, even if the prices are higher than the $100 price that was dreamed about from Vizio.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I don't think it's likely that LG will have a GTV set-top box. They had no demo set-top box at CES - and all of the articles suggest that LG is going after the "high-end" television market with it's GTV models. Although I suppose anything is possible further on down the road.......

Last edited: May 7, 2012