Quantcast

Is there a way to watch shows on nbc, abc and cbs.com yet?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Kelvweb, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Kelvweb

Kelvweb New Member

I tried watching a show on nbc.com today with no luck. Nbc.com seemed to think I was using an ipad because it told me I needed to download the nbc app for ipad to be able to view an nbc show.

Do I have to wait until the magical Honeycomb update is released (assuming it will ever be released??) before I can watch shows on the major network's sites?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Other than using PlayOn or TVersity Pro and a separate PC along with Google TV, I am not aware of any way to watch blocked sites yet using Google TV. Rather than use bandwidth for the networks, I watch all of those using TiVo and an antenna, it is much better and I can skip commercials.

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's got nothing to do with Google updating their software. The problem is that the networks are purposefully blocking GoogleTV. They feel that they need to be paid a lot of money by Google (in some way) to allow Google TV users to view their content. So in answer to your question - you will be able to watch NBC. CBS, ABC, FOX, and Hulu when (if) they can come to some sort of agreement with Google. Google could possibly circumvent this problem by releasing a full desk-top version of Chrome on Google TV - that would be undetectable from a regular browser on a desk-top computer. But thus far it seems that Google wants to try and play nice and not go that route.

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That wouldn't do it either. A full desktop version of Chrome would only get you past the User Agent checks. Here are the standard checks which can prevent access.

These are all methods which empowers website designers to allow or deny browser access for any device. You can click on the associated links above to see the identifiers which can be used in their scripts to govern access.

5. clickstream

clickstream New Member

There is a service called tvfull.com that has a lot of nice HD content, including network and cable shows. Some are free, most are not, however the cost is extremely low, between 30 and 40 cents per episode. There is a similar sister service at viptv.net which costs marginally less and has a different selection. Both work well with Google TV/Logitech Revue. I am watching the entire Sopranos from episode 1, which is free on tvfull.com

6. CatfishRivers

I'm wondering who owns these sites and where are they located? There's no corporate name or address given. Based on the grammar from tvfull.com it seems to me to be a foreigner. Do they have legal permission to stream these shows on their sites? I'm not saying it's a bad thing - as Google TV users need all the alternatives they can get. IMO though I'd be leery about paying a lot of money to this site for a big subscription (in case they get shut down) - or at least until I can find out more details about it.

7. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You just have to look up from a website that has "whois" this is their record which I garnished from Network Solutions.

8. CatfishRivers

OK thanks for posting that Eferz. They're located in the Ukraine. Hmmmm. I'm sticking to just the free shows for now......

Note: I tried a Google search for Andriy Rusol - and apparently Andriy Rusol is a famous Ukrainian soccer player (who is now 'retired'). It's possible that Andriy Rusol is a common Ukrainian name - so there might be more than one person with that name. But this is what it says on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andriy_Rusol

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  9. clickstream

clickstream New Member

Nothing is ever certain in this world of streaming online content. Look at what has happened to Netflix in the last couple of weeks. They don't seem to want to pay for better content, then they jack up their prices, and now they have lost hundreds of thousands of subscribers (!). They spent $994 million buying back their stock. That is 6 million short of $1 billion dollars! Imagine if they had instead spent the money on content. They would have controlled the destiny of streaming entertainment. Instead they are trying their best to go bankrupt.

There are alternatives, and Google TV is one of the best ways to get out of the content straitjacket. Everything from integrating a simple HDTV antenna with HDMI out, to antenna with Tivo, to Playon, to tvfull.com or viptv.net are all possibilities with Google TV, and I think we have barely scratched the surface of what is or will be available. We do live in interesting times.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  10. DCAlexandria

DCAlexandria Member

Actually there is no reason an app developer could not circumvent all of these blocks. I fully expect the networks blocking days are soon numbered.

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The ability to change User Agent of the current Chrome browser in Google TV is enough to fool certain sites. So, it would take more than just "a browser" to hide that distinction. They would need to use some back-end support in order bypass the platform checks. Much like PlayOn and TVersity running on a desktop computer allows you to watch video from Hulu, ESPN3, and CBS on Google TV via proxy. It is possible that someone could make a browser with hooks to centralized transcoding server like Skyfire or create thin client access to a browser running on an application farm like Cloud Brose. I just wonder how cost effective that will be since most Google TV users are going to want to run at least 720p content through their pipes.

Don't think you can load up a browser like Dolphin HD and bypass the flash checks as easily. One of the biggest problem of bypassing these sites with Google TV is the lack of Native Development Kit (NDK) support and the enforcement of signed code in the system directory where the Flash software resides. Without that support it going to be nearly impossible to get something to be able perform required disassembly, code injection, reassembly for these virtual machines to run spoofed locally.

But, hey, there are a lot of talented people out there, things can and will change, flaws will be found and exploited.

12. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

I'm able to watch football games fine on ESPN dot com,why is that? then again my carrier is Cox,and has comfy ties to ESPN..other than the rest I don't know.

13. superfo

superfo New Member

it remind me about the old day of analog cable tv. I bought pirate cable box from ebay for watching HBO for free or installed FTA satellite receiver for watching Dish network for free.
    If you understand how google earn money form Droid you will understand why network company block content from google tv.

14. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am not sure what TVFull.com is but it works great with my Revue, we are watching Everwood and Alias using the site. It has the appearance of a legitimate site but the free shows don't have ads. I haven't tried a paid program.