Quantcast

Is there a way to reboot from the remote?

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by rmeitzler, Sep 14, 2012.

1. rmeitzler

rmeitzler New Member

Is there a way to reboot the Co-Star from the remote without going to the box and unplugging it?
    The Revue had a Ctrl-Alt-Del on the keyboard that would reboot.

2. jTV

jTV New Member

Good question. It's annoying how this thing freezes so much

3. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

What freezes so much ...? I have never ever had my Vizio Co-Star's remote to freeze, skip, keys stick or run on keys at all on my Co-Star's remote, neither have I ever had the Vizio Co-Star itself to freeze on me ...! I find this kinda strange ...(lol)

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The CNET Vizio Co-Star review makes mention of some freeze-ups. IMO this is due to a few glitches in the GTV OS - and not a problem specifically related to the hardware. (I've read in a few of the Google TV reviews that the new Sony GTV box has some freeze-ups also)

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-receivers/vizio-co-star/4505-6739_7-35118529.html

From the CNET Co-Star review:

"Google TV also continues to have a problem with stability, although the Co-Star seemed slightly more stable than other Google TV devices I've tested. Still, I experienced a few bugs during the testing period, including individual apps freezing and more system-level crashes ("Notifications have crashed.") It's frustrating, especially on a product you're relying on to control all of your TV watching."

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  5. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

I have hands on experience everyday with the Vizio Co-Star, still I have not even experience what you are talking about either or CNET for that matter ...

I have owned the Boxee Box, WD Media Player and the Roku XS, now these media players have serious bugs ... I find the Vizio Co-Star much more stable than all the other media players that I have tested ...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  6. Wisdom

Wisdom New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somebody please tell that man in the above CNET Co-Star video review, that I have Google Movies and Google TV on my Vizio Co-Star and it works like a charm too .. Looks like to me, he's trying to sell Roku and Apple products ...

The Roku box got lots of apps that nobody wants, it does not have a YouTube app either, it's a poorly built product ... Apple TV just ain't got it, Apple does not rule when it comes to media players, no no ...

7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

This has gotten off track, is there no way to reboot from the remote? Even though I can avoid crashes and freezes pretty well by babying my first generation boxes, I do still reboot most days and doing so from the control is certainly preferable. I agree Google TV is better than Roku, Apple TV, and WD but I sure hope it can be improved considerably in the very near future or the Google TV platform is going to crash on the runway, it will never get airborne. The negative reviews are apparently more common than positive reviews on the Co-Star.

8. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

The Sony supports Ctrl-Shift-Del, the Revue Ctrl-Alt-Del ... have you guys tried things like that? btw, I do see some problems with the Sony where I've had to reboot it. Sometimes the remote freaks out, and I just have to pull the battery. Usually it's flash sites it can't handle. But it's been solid for it's main purpose ... which is to watch videos. Every system is going to be a bit different because of the Apps installed, though. Roku is much the same. The box is solid, but some of the apps have problems.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  9. Labmanmi

Labmanmi New Member

people are more likely to complain about something then rave about it. Most of the people that are happy are just enjoying there devices.

10. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

Anyone found an answer to the OP yet? I also would like to know.

11. ChrisG8

I have owned a Co-Star for months now, don't use it much and still don't know how to reboot from the remote. There is no alt key so the typical reboot command for other Google TV devices isn't an option.

12. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

There's no Alt key on the Sony remote either, but like I said earlier in the thread we can use Ctrl-Shift-Backspace. I take it this doesn't work for the CoStar?

13. ChrisG8

No it doesn't. I use the Logitech K700 keyboards for both Sony models, of course ctrl-alt-delete reboots those when using that controller. I think the K700 will reboot the Co-Star in that manner as well but I consider operating the Co-Star with the K700 an unacceptable solution so I don't do that any longer.