Quantcast

Is there a painless way to close some of these apps?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by CO2, Dec 25, 2011.

1. CO2

CO2 New Member

Like Google Music? You Tube? et al.?

(Using Logitech Revue and GTV 2.) It used to be a lot easier with old GTV. I try the menu key (which used to give me a close window option, if memory serves) as well as CTRL W and these don't seem to work.

Now, in frustration, i just hit the Home button, but the app is still open, albeit in the background.

tia!

CO2

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  2. pgoelz

pgoelz New Member

The way Android was explained to me is that it is similar to Windows 7. Applications are not immediately cleared from memory when another application is in the foreground. That way, sleeping apps can start faster if needed since they don't have to be loaded back into RAM. However, if the memory they are occupying is actually needed for a foreground application, it are immediately cleared. The only thing I am unclear about is whether they can consume CPU cycles while in sitting in RAM.

Paul

3. revue5

revue5 Well-Known Member

try,

Tip: To quit Netflix/Pandora Apps, press and hold the [esc] key till the dialogue pops-up!

See see more Tips here --> http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...e-gtv2-0-ui-pq-netflix-apps-quick-review.html

Cheers!

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

In some apps you can press GTV Menu and then select Exit, while in others long key press of the GTV Back button. Some apps you have to navigate a retreat using GTV Back button past the point where you started the app. Unfortunately, there is no standardization for exiting an app and will depend on the developer's implementation, but there are applications in the Android Market that let you kill tasks.

5. Mar

Mar New Member

I've side-loaded the Fast Reboot app and it seems to do a good job of freeing up memory.

6. swould333

swould333 Member

you don't need to close apps... Android Isn't Windows.. the kernel has a built in task manager that kills background apps to free up mem as it needs it... using task managers actually put more strain on your system rescources in in an Android environment.. I.E.MORE cpu cycles and MORE mem usage... pretty much you kill the apps and android trys to immediatley reload them or some other app it deams you might be using...
    please note article...

Revisiting Android Task Killers and Why You Still Don’t Need One… – Droid Life

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  7. Mar

Mar New Member

I see posters making this argument in a forum I frequent for the Android phone I use, and yet apps on the phone crash when memory runs short. It may be bad for the operating system to force apps to stop, but it's bad for the user when apps stop doing a task because they ran out of memory! If I were a programmer, I'd worry about the OS's happiness. Since I'm not a programmer, the happiness of the OS is not on my list of concerns.

In the case of GoogleTV, the symptom I see most frequently is the "Oh snap...." error page in the Chrome browser when a page with big files won't load. The Fast Reboot app I recommended above flushes the unneeded apps and fixes the problem of those pages not loading.

8. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

Ya know, the more I was thinking about this, personally, I would prefer for it to shut down, but it's
    sorta like the, outta site, outta mind concept. [​IMG]

9. swould333

swould333 Member

I haven't ran into any such issues... if i get the loading error for chrome I just reload the page and it typically comes up.. and I've only gotten that a couple times.... I power use the crap out of my revue... constanly runing torrent downloader and Filexpert stays up in the back ground almost all the time and I never "kill" apps ... I haven't a typical android Force Close on hardly any app I've ran thus far, well the ones that would actually load.... wish i could say the same for my droid X...lmao