Quantcast

Is the Vizio Google TV already using the Android Market?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by sparkyscott21, Jan 3, 2011.

1. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Earlier today we told you that Vizio has formally announced their Google TV offerings a couple days before CES, which came via press release. We now know that the company will be releasing Google TV powered HDTVs and Blu-ray players, but there is something else that struck me about the press release that will be very exciting if true. The image above was included in the press release, which clearly shows one of their Google TV powered HDTVs with a lot more apps than the Google TV we know today.

It is entirely possible that this is just a mockup image meant to generate some buzz and excitement about the product, or perhaps this is what they intend the interface to look like once the Market is released sometime this year. However, with Vizio supposedly planning to show off their new device(s) at CES, perhaps we will get to see an early build of the next version of Google TV featuring the Android Market. We will be there beginning on Wednesday to bring you all the latest and greatest, and we will certainly do our best to get a sneak peak at the new goods! Stay tuned.

BY Tyler Cunningham
    JANUARY 3, 2011
    Source

2. skoretsky

skoretsky New Member

I'll believe that when I see those apps, maybe intended for "new" GTV devices only, not 1st generation GTV devices like the Revue?

3. sparkyscott21

It does get one to wonder?
    If it was for display purposes only, you think they would have been more careful
    with what they show the public.

And now that you mention that, they are barely thru their 1st Gen. yet..

4. mskks64

mskks64 New Member

this will be interesting to see how the plays out. I am really interested with the fact that in the image it has messaging? Are we going to be able to receive texts through our TV now? that'd be cool even though I already suggested it XD

5. sparkyscott21

Careful what you ask for...
    Maybe instant messaging as well??

6. srramalot

srramalot New Member

Id be more then pissed off if my Sony box becomes outdated already...i JUST got this thing 2 weeks ago

7. sparkyscott21

As we ALL know, none of our boxes are old at all, really...
    I highly doubt they would make them obsolete so soon in the game.
    They would have an angry mob on their hands..

8. alphawave7

alphawave7 Moderator Staff Member

Much ado about nothing..typical blog fodder. Microsoft released a pic of WM7 phone that had Rovio's Angry Birds, and the blogs had a field day with that one too.

9. mskks64

mskks64 New Member

I don't think you need to worry about that. Sony and Logitech would lose alot of customers if they were to do that.

10. AndroidGeek

AndroidGeek New Member

For now the GTV/Revue is updated by its software not hardware. If it wasn't I wouldn't of gotten it so fast myself. But there is always the chance that the hardware can get outdated which will necessitate an upgraded (such as ram, hard drive, processor, etc.) If this happens I would hope that Google allows some sort of compensation or reimbursement. We will have to wait and see.

11. gentlefury

gentlefury New Member

For starters that is a promo vaporware still. Secondly that isn't saying it will run android apps like that...its saying it will stream them from the phone and tablet. Not really sure what they are doing here.

BTW, isn't Vizio that company that makes ultra cheap, crap quality LCD screens that sell for $300 at Wal-Mart?

12. Netastophales

Netastophales New Member

I doubt that they would just drop the "old devices" if an update came around that would just not work on the "old hardware". They would have a GTV v.2.0 or something while continuing support for legacy V1 devices. at least that is how I would do it. I would try to code for the oldest hardware as long as I could. That way everyone gets updates, and newer hardware just does it faster better and sexier. That is how they have been coding thus far. I have the Motorola Droid runs the same stuff (just as well I might add as 80% of the androids out there) as all the new shiny droids do, and mine is one of the "first" mass production phones. They are going to support me and my device for as long as I pay a bill to someone. I hope that they apply the same reasoning to this splinter on the market. When it comes down to it... it is a Android OS device. This is an exciting time. When so many things are going to be using the same interface. An operating system that can be applied to a multitude of devices, makes for a better computing, and user interfaced world.

13. srramalot

srramalot New Member

One thing that a lot of people are forgetting here. You CAN NOT treat a TV like a phone. A TV is a very big purchase for most people (including bluray players or set top boxes). You cant expect someone to buy a new TV every 2 years, like you do with a phone. TVs are built to last, so the OS needs to be able to update over a course of a few years, not a few months like phones.