Quantcast

Is the Sony Google TV 24" as bad as the reviews say it is?

Discussion in 'Sony Internet TV' started by jcstarr, Oct 4, 2011.

1. jcstarr

jcstarr New Member

I ordered the final one for $298 on Amazon today and I'm using my birthday money to buy it. I have read multiple reviews, watched Youtube reviews, researched in every way I know how but I am so afraid I am going to be disappointed by my excitement. Is the picture quality really that terrible? Is it definitely going to be updated to Honeycomb? Is Netflix as bad as some people say? Is the video game lag so bad that games are unplayable?

I am definitely a tech geek and when I found this television for $300 I jumped on it... I just don't want to have buyer's remorse once I get it and I'm looking for some reassurance I suppose.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated since I am still within my window of canceling my order. Thanks all! :confused:

2. jcstarr

jcstarr New Member

It will mainly be used as a television in the bedroom BTW.

3. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

My daughter bought one several weeks ago from Amazon and loves it. We've never played games so can't answer the lag, but the picture is fine and it works well with her old TiVo. The picture quality is quite nice and it will definitely get the update once the update rolls out... as long as Sony decides to give it to us. Netflix works well and is one of the best interfaces I've used between TiVo, Roku and GTV.

Relax, you'll love the TV and if you don't, keep the box and send it back. It's pretty small and not very heavy.

4. jcstarr

jcstarr New Member

Thanks Heather! I'm very excited to get it and trying not to be a worry wart about it. Glad to hear about the Netflix interface as well. I own two Roku boxes and as long as it is on par or better than, I'll be happy with that aspect for sure.

5. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

Let me know what you think after you get it and start using your new TV!

BTW... after Google TV entered our house, our Roku got boxed up and put away. ;-)

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

That's funny that you say that, I recently purchased the Roku 2 XS too see what's it all about. For now, it mainly use it for Angry Birds and Hulu Plus since the Sony Internet TV don't provide these services. I do like how Roku's channels (like Amazon Instant, Crackle, Chrunchyroll) are better optimized than the web browser from Google TV and how the Roku supports Netflix's 5.1 sound. Hopefully, in the future these sites will improve their interface for the large screen experience, or at least have apps available on the GTV Android Marketplace once its available to the public.

7. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Could someone give me some advice on adjusting the picture? To start, I am NOT picky with my picture. This is the first hdtv I ever owned. I was fine with FIOS and my standard definition picture. I got the tv for the internet. Had WebTV for over a dozen years and it just became more and more obsolete. I couldn't get the google tv without getting an hdtv.

I got this tv maybe 3 weeks ago. My first impression was that the picture was too dark. I found this forum and a thread with hints, among them adjusting the picture. I set them with a link in that thread. Set them as instructed although 2 things contradict themselves. At one point, it says gamma should be zero than at another -1. At one point it says advanced contrast enhancer should be low at another off.

It still seemed too dark. I tried playing with brightness and moved it from 50 to 88.
    This is over the course of at about 2 weeks time. The last several days I thought it seemed better, like I wasn't noticing it as much. But then I noticed something. The the other hdmi ports that I have a vcr and blue ray attached to had different settings. I guess they have to be set individually. I was doing that today. I go back to the one for the tv input, hdmi 1, and recheck. I changed a couple, maybe the 2 with the conflicting info which I didn't even realize till today was conflicting. I had written it all down on a piece of paper to change the blu ray picture settings and noticed the 2 differences then.

Anyway, I notice the picture seems really dark since I did that. Both playing a blu ray and the tv. One other thing I changed, on the tv hdmi, was in display area. Today, when I looked it was checked. The link said it should be unchecked. I had changed gamma to -1 today and I've since put it back to zero. And I changed the contrast enhancer from off to low. So, the gamma and contraster are back to where they were before I made any changes today. Still seems dark, but not quite as noticeable.

To be clear, I am a complete novice about this. Clueless in what the settings should be other than the link. The tv is about 6 feet directly in front of me. The room has blinds that are almost always closed. It's certainly not a dark room, in daylight, but sun isn't shining in either. At night, there is almost never a light on. It's watched in pretty much complete darkness. I've seen threads where this info is asked so I figured I'd supply it beforehand.

One other question. Is there a way to change the text size? I mean the default instead of having to increase every page to max size manually. With WebTv, I just had the default text at it's largest setting.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Try setting the GTV Settings > Picture & sound > Picture Adjustments > Picture Mode > Vivid and see if that helps. Btw, each input has its own preference, so you will have to change this for each input.

While Chrome is open press GTV Menu > Settings > Content > Text size and you'll have five permutation to select from; Tiny, Small, Normal, Large, Huge.

9. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Thanks for the tips. Could you tell me how to get to the gtv menu and settings? I've never seen gtv settings, or never noticed them.

10. Rick44

Rick44 Member

I found the gtv setting. Didn't realize that was plain settings. Okay, now about the setting adjustments I made to calibrate it based on the links I found. I has set them based on cinema. Should I change any of them back to the default?

11. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Hate to keep repeat posting, but I see that my picture settings have changed. Maybe besed on changing to vivid, I don't know. Brightness is back at 50, and I know it wasn't that way before. Color is at 60 now and was 50 before. Other things are different.
    Should I leave them as is? The picture is certainly brighter.

12. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Last question until I get a reply, I promise. I tried changing the text size. Set it to huge, seems the same to me. I can still increase it 3 sizes when I get to a page.
    I went out and went back in and checked twice. It's set on huge.

13. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Think of the Picture Modes as separate profiles. So, using the Detail Settings control panel will fine tune the adjustments for the currently selected profile. It is ultimately up to you which profile you use and how you want to customize it.

Unfortunately, different pages renders differently. You can try unchecking "Fit to Zoom" so that the Chrome isn't trying to override your settings by adjusting the page width to fit the screen. But, ultimately, that's all we have as far as default text sizes. You might try testing the difference between Tiny and Huge on several different websites to see how the settings interacts with other pages.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  14. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

I can't remember where I read this, but there's an auto brightness setting somewhere that you need to turn off. That's the culprit for the dark screen. I had read this before my daughter's TV arrived and sure enough we had to adjust it off too.

After you turn that off, then play with the other picture settings until you get them the way you like them... but turn that auto sensor off first.

Good luck.

15. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The setting you're referring to is at GTV Settings > TV settings > Eco > Light sensor. I have this setting enabled with the Vivid: Picture Mode. It seems to work just fine but I guess the option of whether to "Optimize brightness according to ambient light" should be acknowledged.

16. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

Remember too, each person's room's ambient light is going to be different. I had read about this in a few different forums. So it's definitely something to consider.

Thanks for the info on where to change this setting. Hopefully it will help our OP.

17. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Thanks again for the replies. Unchecking fit to zoom did the trick. I have several web pages bookmarked, some message boards. Increasing text every new page was such a pain.

As for the picture advice, I read some people knocking the vivid mode. That it was used mainly in displays in stores. Not that I care if it works. Anyway, there are times it still seems too dark then times it seems too bright. Even the first couple weeks I had the tv, there were different times I thought different things. I'd see a tv show and thought it was too dark, commercials come on and I think they look just fine.

Sunday, I'm watching the same dvd I was watching Saturday. The movie Thor, which I just saw in the theatre several months back. Some of the earler scenes are in darker enviroments. However, not so dark that it's hard to make out some of what is happening. I know, I saw the movie recently. It was just too dark. And I had changed the blu ray setting, on it's hdmi port, to vivid as I had the tv. I wound up increasing the brightness level. It's still not always right with that either.

I'm at the point now where I wonder how much is my imagination. Am I just looking for problems? Honestly, I don't remember the last time I plated with tv settings like contrast and brightness. Last tv, I probably had 8 years. I never touched any of that from the time I opened the box. Hooked it up and watched it.

And it's not that I was never dissatisfied with a picture. Occasionally a particular channel or network might have something off in it's picture. I would notice this, but in general I wasn't picky with the picture. Again, I was fine with my SD tv and FIOS.

It's just not right. It's hard to describe. I saw Heather's post and tried what she said. At first it seemed okay now it looks dark at times as well. Depends on the lighting and angle in different scenes, I suppose.

The vivid was better, in general, than it was Saturday. Before Saturday, there was 4-5 days where I didn't notice it. I remember thinking, several times, that it seemed better. Most of those days, though, I was working which meant I didn't watch it during the day. Only when it was dark out.

Are those calibration dvds of any use? They were mentioned in the thread with the link to the settings I originally used. I'd just like to go back to notreally thinking about the picture, like I used to.

18. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Well, I figured I'd give it a couple days before posting again, rather than analyze this every day. It's till on cinema with the change Heather suggested. Picture seems okay. I'm not noticing too much darkness now.

Another question, though. About the browser or perhaps memory. I wanted a full fledged browser, it's why I got google tv rather than another model with some internet apps.

Again, I came from webtv although I do have a laptop. I liked and preferred the access of the net on my tv. Webtv got to the point where it was at a standstill. They couldn't update the browser or add memory. Sites updated while it stood still.
    It never really could play youtube, maybe a couple minutes at a time. But regular sites, message boards, that I had gone to for years, I could no longer access. The box would freeze, shut down or you'd get a message that it was out of memory.

One of the boards that I could still use pretty regularly, people would post youtube links. Not just the address either. It's the video basically paused or frozen. You play the video right there, not a link that takes you to the site. Then someone else would quote the link and another person and another person. 3-4 times I'd get a message that it was out of memory. As long as links like that weren't posted, it navigated fine.

The reason I went through all that is I'm having sort of the same problem, with this site, with the google tv. You wind up getting google chrome error messages. The kill page or wait message. Sometimes you can get through it without an error message, but you get loading for 30-45 seconds first.

Another site. One of the few I could navigate with basically no problem by the end with webtv, I was there today for about 2 hours. There are no pictures there or youtube links. In maybe 2 hous, I don't know how many times I had the loading message for 30 seconds. 4-5 google chrome error messages.

I have used the reboot a bunch of times since I got the tv. I mean the cntl alt whatever the third key is. If I spend a lot of the day on it, I'd say I do it twice sometimes. What is the problem? Is it memory? The browser? I go somewhere they are posting full sized pictures/scans, a bunch in a row, it just locks the thing up.
    Computer neophyte I am that seems like a memory problem to me.

I use google chrome on my laptop without any of these problems. I'm certainly not going to tell you it's as bad as webtv, but it's just not a pleasant browsing experience.

My tv is hooked up through ethernet, not wireless. My laptop is wireless. I ran speedtest on the tv.. My FIOS deal is that I should be getting 15/5 speed. Last time I used speedtest I think it was 19/20.

Is it something I'm doing or is the tv just not really equipped for full fledged browsing?

19. HeatherA

HeatherA New Member

I haven't spent much time using the browser on the Honeycomb release on my Logitech Revue, but it seems to be more like Chrome on the computer than the browser on my Sony GTV. You could Google other's experiences with the beta release and the browser and see if they are seeing improvement.

I think if/when Honeycomb is released you'll be happier with your browsing experience.

Glad my tip helped fix your picture problem.

20. Rick44

Rick44 Member

Oh, it's been released on the Logitech? I had read a thread or two about people waiting for that. It was supposed to be this summer? People are anxiously awaiting it. Hopefully it helps when it arrives.

In any case, thanks for the picture tip, Heather.