Quantcast

Is the Revue Right for Me?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by Jobber8742, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Jobber8742

Jobber8742 New Member

Hey everybody, I'm new here and I have a few questions about if the Revue is right for me.

So I'm looking to get a video streaming device to add to my main home theater television, but there is no straight forward information on them. I've narrowed my selection down to 3: Logitec Revue, Roku 2 HD, and the Sony SMP-N100. I'm leaning towards the Revue, but wanted to get some other insight. The primary function will be to stream Amazon Video on Demand. We do not have Netflix or any other subscription. I would also like it to be able to play videos from YouTube, Blip.tv, and others. Being able to play videos off my computer would be nice too.

From my research, it seems that the Roku is the most straightforward to use, especially for Amazon VOD, but it seems to lack the function to do the other stuff I want it to. Will it play videos from Blip.tv or YouTube?

I'm leaning towards the Logitec Revue because it seems to have the most power, but I've read that the Amazon navigation is a little clunky. Is the Amazon navigation straightforward enough that my wife with very little technical knowledge could use it with ease? It also seems that it will not do Hulu, ABC, CBS, and others, which is a downfall. I've read that I could use TVersity on my computer to get these onto it. Does anybody know if this is possible?

If the Revue is too complicated for someone like my wife, I could probably live with the Roku as we have a laptop with HDMI connection. It is a pain to hook up everytime I want to watch something though. Any insight into these boxes would help. Thanks!

Also will any of these 3 boxes play ESPN3 streaming out of the box? I've been reading here that it should work on the Revue again whenever the new update hits, but from what I've read, it's one of those things that has been coming soon forever now.

2. TimeHunter

TimeHunter New Member

Amazon VOD, here on referred to as A-VOD, navigation is a straight web page experience currently on the Revue. If your wife can handle it on the computer, she should be fine on the Revue.

There is no specialized interface / app. The one trick up the Revue's sleeve regarding A-VOD is that once it recognizes a video playing from there it will automatically go full screen with it. The one lack is that the A-VOD feeds to the Revue are currently NOT HD quality, but they still looked pretty good on my 42" HDTV. Amazon states they are working on making the HD stream available to the Revue.

Roku cannot currently play Youtube content. There is no web browser on the Roku and there is no YT channel (app) available.

Revue can play Youtube not only from it's inbuilt Chrome browser, but also supports Youtube Leanback, which I find is a very enjoyable Youtube experience.

Both Roku and Revue can access Blip.tv.

I have no information or experience with the Sony device.

3. Jobber8742

Jobber8742 New Member

So I went out and bought a google tv yesterday, but didn't hook it up yet. I got to looking at my Blu-Ray player and saw it had Internet video so I ran a cord to it to check it out. It has Amazon on Demand as well as several others. It does have Blip.tv, but it doesn't have all the shows for some reason. I think I'm going to hold on to the Google and see if they release this update soon and what it improves. If it doesn't improve upon what is currently offered, I guess the Blu-Ray player I already have will fill my primary need for Amazon on Demand. The Blu-Ray player I have hooked up now is a Sony BDP-N460.