Quantcast

Is the Missing TV and Movies App outside of the USA a deal breaker on the Sony Box

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by chopper, Aug 30, 2012.

?

The Sony Box Outside the USA is missing the TV and Movies App and...

Poll closed Dec 8, 2012.
  1. I will not buyone without this feature.

50.0%
  2. I will buy one anyway.

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chopper

chopper Active Member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  2. chopper

chopper Active Member

Only a small percentage of people viewing this thread took 2 seconds to vote. This doesn't bode well for the future of GTV if people just want it all handed over to them without making even the smallest effort. Come on people it only takes a tiny mouse click.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I viewed the thread, don't live in Canada and already own three Google TV boxes so I can't answer the question as asked meaningfully but I would sure recommend Google TV unless the movies and TV app is at the top of the list of important features. The feature is one of convenience, not of adding content or functionality, so my thought is that it is a rather trivial part of Google TV and shouldn't prevent anybody from using Google TV for its primary functions and I would expect it to eventually be available and work well for all Google TV devices in all countries Google TV is being offered and supported. There is of course no guarantee that will happen timely or at all.

4. jesseps

jesseps New Member

I am not happy that it is natively installed on here. I was hoping to be able to search tv shows directly from the Sony Google TV box but that feature doesn't seem to work. I do hope Google / Sony start pushing it out, because it was one feature I would have liked to use. Plus I am trying to figure out a way, if it is possible to favourite channels (but it seems like it isn't).

5. chopper

chopper Active Member

On the one hand Sony may be planning to launch this App in other countries and it is still a work in progress. On the other hand they may want to steer users primarily to their own content which is available on the exclusive Video Unlimited App. Personally I want choices for content delivery and this is a deal breaker for me. If I wanted to be stuck with only one source of content I would buy an Apple TV.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

There is no requirement that you use the Video Unlimited App exclusively so I don't understand your comments regarding being stuck with one source. Use Video Unlimited if you want or use Amazon or YouTube or whatever other option you can access, it expands choices by having it available, not limits choices.

7. chopper

chopper Active Member

Ok then it would be nice to see the TV and Movies App on this device to tie it all together in Canada. Why should people outside the USA have to search multiple sources for content separately? This just simply sucks @#$%%^% & and there will be plenty of newbies posting new threads about this issue here over and over again.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  8. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I actually like that it isn't installed. Sony would have to obtain agreements with those holding distribution rights for media in various countries and I suspect that is almost impossible. I have both a Sony GTV and an ATV3. I really like both. I also liked the Revue I had, though nowhere near as much as the Sony.

I don't know why you think the ATV forces you into one source of content. If you have a Mac and iPad or other iDevice the ATV has, in fact, almost unlimited choices in content source via AirPlay.

All the main players in the living room are constrained by the incredibly complicated nature of content ownership and distribution. If these didn't exist then we would see very different players.

For now the Sony has become my main player, mainly because of Plex, but I still feel Google TV is not headed towards a glorious future.

Philip

9. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

Have you checked out similar apps like BuddyTV or Clicker (maybe even others). Both have Google TV specific apps, although I'm not sure how well they work outside of the US.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sean0977

Sean0977 New Member

I installed the NextGuide app on my ipad and would love to see something like this for my Google TV. This app does have Canadian listing available! I think it's somewhat similar to how the TV & Movies app for Google TV works, but I wouldn't know because that app isn't available in Canada. Hopefully an Android version comes out, or the Google TV & Movies app gets updated to support listings outside of the U.S. very soon. I hate having a modern interface with Google TV, but then having to switch and use my cable providers ugly old guide data.

11. chopper

chopper Active Member

You nailed it with those comments, thanks! Please scroll to to top of the thread on page 1 and vote.