Quantcast

Is Netflix Doomed?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 12, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Interesting article. In a related note - Netflix has announced they are not interested in bidding for Hulu. Is Netflix Doomed? | Lance Ulanoff | PCMag.com

2. MadDogMike

MadDogMike New Member

They just sent me this lovely email, jacking my price way up"
    So, time to quit Netflix. Got any good alternatives?

3. zurcaled11

zurcaled11 New Member

Yeah I'm pissed that Netflix is making me pay way more for the service or save 20% and 1/2 of the current service. I'm calling them and the phone lines are jammed and dropping calls.

4. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

It really doesn't bother me all that much..
    But I never use the DVD portion of it..AND
    I can see where the rest of you guys would be mad,
    But, for me it's not a deal breaker.

5. bidger

bidger Member

I may upgrade to 2-at-a-time or more BD and forego the streaming. If you force me to choose between the two, I'll take the 1080/24p video with lossless high resolution audio over 720p w/ 2 ch. stereo.

6. harley man

harley man New Member

I am piss off to. they keep raising the price every year I am on hold now Waiteing telling them off there trying to get out of mailing the DVD and do only streaming that would be good if they had more first run DVDs

7. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

I with you on that I will drop convenience over quality in a heartbeat

8. thedude

thedude Member

Seriously, you guys have the DVD plan???

This doesn't affect me at all since I have always been a streaming only customer.

Redbox is the way to go for first run stuff IMO. You could get 8 every month for the cost of the Netflix DVD plan.

If I care enough to see and hear the splendor of BluRay, chances are it's a movie I want to own. If I don't care enough to own it, then I'm usually okay with DVD quality or stripped down HD.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  9. MadDogMike

MadDogMike New Member

I would drop to streaming only, IF they had their full library available on streaming. As it stands, the streaming collection is so limited that I have to supplement with DVDs to see the newer-released movies.

Different strokes for different folks. I almost never watch a movie more than once, so I never buy movies. Still, I want good quality, so I still prefer DVD over streaming - better picture and way better audio. That said, I do like the convenience of streaming, if only the selection was better.

10. geektonic

geektonic New Member

Netflix is certainly not doomed. They're just playing around with the pricing. I'm mostly fine with the physical DVD/Blu-ray only - streaming is just a nice bonus. I think streaming should be worth about $3.99 at most.

11. bidger

bidger Member

Actually I have Blu-ray access. I also have a 1080/24p HDTV and surround sound. I've yet to see streaming come close to what BD or HD from my content provider offer.

I average 2 BDs a week from Netflix and I don't have to go to a kiosk to pick up or drop off a movie, just out my front door.

Fail to see the logic here. If I have the capability to see content in full 1080p/5.1 audio, why would I choose another way? Convenience? That's the same reason some people have for watching movies on Comedy Central or AMC.

12. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Streaming or Discs: Netflix Makes You Choose

Washington, D.C. (July 13, 2011)--
    Netflix stunned its subscribers yesterday by announcing that it would implement different pricing plans for unlimited streaming of videos and DVD-by-mail rentals.

The company said it would no longer offer a $9.99-a-month plan allowing subscribers to stream videos and rent one DVD at a time. Instead, you will have to pay $15.98 a month to keep the combination of the unlimited streaming option and the one DVD at a time rental plan.

Your other choice will be to pay $7.99 a month for the one DVD at a time plan (plus an extra $2 a month for Blu-ray rentals) OR $7.99 a month for the unlimited streaming plan. But you would not be able to use both features with that option.

The move, which becomes effective in September for current customers and immediate for new ones, was not too surprising to industry insiders who noted that Netflix recently said it wanted to boost its DVD business.

But for recession weary consumers, the change could not come at a worse time. To keep both unlimited streaming and disc rentals, consumers will now have to pay a minimum of $15.98 a month rather than $9.99. And the $15.99 a month goes up to $17.99 if you include a Blu-ray option. That's too much for many families striving to keep costs down.

Netflix executives yesterday expressed hope that subscribers will upgrade to the higher priced option. However, that's wishful thinking. Many Netflix users will probably decide to drop the service altogether or be forced to choose between streaming and discs.

And that could result in an interesting scenario. What if millions of Netflix subscribers decide to dump streaming, a service in which Netflix has decided to invest a small fortune? Would Netflix then be forced to reduce its streaming business?

And what if a large number of subs decide to drop DVD and Blu-ray rentals? Could this signal the beginning of the end of hard media for home video?

I suspect that more people will drop streaming before they drop DVDs and Blu-ray rentals. Why? Because more people (many more) have DVD and Blu-ray players than they have devices that permit Internet video streaming.

Netflix is making them choose -- but Netflix may not like what they choose to do.

13. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Analysts: Redbox Likely to Benefit from Netflix Price Changes
    [​IMG]Jul 13, 2011

Analysts seem certain of one thing regarding Netflix’s decision to charge $7.99 each for its streaming-only and DVD-only services: Redbox stands to benefit.

“With most new releases not available for streaming, Netflix subscribers choosing the streaming-only option will have to turn to other sources for these newer releases,” John Kraft and Douglas Greiner, analysts with D.A. Davidson & Co., wrote in a research note. “In our opinion, this will create incremental demand for alternative low-cost DVD rental services such as Redbox.”
    They count 17.6 million Netflix DVD subscribers that will have to decide on what to do, and estimated 12 million of those will choose the streaming-only plan. Those consumers could then turn to Redbox for DVD.
    “With Blockbuster brick-and-mortar locations few and far between, we contend most will choose Redbox,” they wrote. “[Redbox parent] Coinstar is in an envious position, as the Redbox business has been growing explosively with competition quickly evaporating. Given the plan and price changes at Netflix, Coinstar is well-positioned to gain market share.”
    Eric Wold, research director with Merriman Capital in San Francisco, noted the “quick and vocal” negative backlash from Netflix consumers regarding the price hike, pointing to the more than 22,300 comments on Netflix’s Facebook post the night of the July 12 announcement. He said 98% of those were negative.

“While it’s a known fact that consumers are more likely to comment negatively than positively, we believe this level of complaints is worth noting,” he wrote in a note to investors. “Netflix defection would benefit Redbox traffic. For those Netflix subscribers who still utilize DVDs, we would expect this price increase to force them to re-evaluate their subscriptions — with a potentially meaningful percentage of them canceling their subscriptions altogether.”

With brick-and-mortar rentailers far and few between, Redbox is the likely beneficiary, he wrote.

“With limited choices now for DVD rentals (especially with Blockbuster and other chains closing), we believe Redbox would experience a significant share of any defecting DVD-rental demand,” Wold concluded.
    However, Ralph Schackart, analyst with William Blair & Co. in Chicago, struck a wait-and-see tone on whether Netflix will lose a significant amount of subscribers due to the change.

“Netflix has done a tremendous job navigating a by-mail DVD business to a streaming service,” he wrote in a note to investors. “While the streaming service offers unlimited selection of its catalog of older movies and DVDs offer a nice complement of new releases, it will be interesting to see what the customer reaction will be to the price increase.”
    Redbox officials would not comment on the Netflix pricing changes.

SOURCE

14. Stuckinthe70s

Stuckinthe70s New Member

After being a member since 2000, I am seriously thinking about just streaming. I am checking out the redbox situation in my neighbor before I do. I've dropped down to 2 DVDs but the addition $5 for BluRay has never been worth it to me. As stated, more than likely, if I want to see it in BluRay, I generally buy it too. I will have to check out playon.tv; I already have HuluPlus but can't use it on Google TV so that is a real bummer! Hurry up and add it!!

15. bidger

bidger Member

I personally wouldn't find an "On Demand"-type approach in which I pay-per-title a viable substitute to the "buffet"-style approach Netflix offers.

16. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

I urge everyone to start showing companies that with out the customer they are nothing.

I am going to cut off my service in Sept. Just to prove a point and I urge everyone else to take the same stance. If you feel a 6x% hike over night is acceptable, I could understand over time... but over night.! No way.. Also the streaming library is not worth the charge. DVD/BluRay is what you should pay for and the lesser streaming library should be a free add-on or minimal fee not @ the same pricepoint as the DVD/BluRay as its not the same quality content.

CUTOMERS MAKE COMPANIES AND CAN BREAK THEM TOO..!!!

consumers unite and take it to the greedy corp. cats.. this needs to happen to any company that does not stand by the customers who got the stock price to where it is and them as well.

Make them go the way of the Dinosaur if they don't want to respect the customers point of view, do you guys remember when "The customer is always right." That slogan and time is long gone, now its "The customer is wrong unless he has proof of our fault. And even then deny everything.!"

Trust me if enough people stand up for themselves they will change.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

17. jerseyfirefighter

jerseyfirefighter New Member

Doing this in my opinion will cause them to lose a lot of the dvd customers. The people that order dvds are doing that in part because they arent set up to stream on their media displays. Again, not ALL but A LOT of dvd customers will cancel. The difference netflix will gain from this is that they will receive an increase in streaming subscribers and have laid out their business model for the future, and those that are dead set on still mailing dvds, they pay a premium. A ****** way to treat those that have built your empire, but just as brick and mortar stores have proved archaic, the dvd hardcopy model is slowly dying as well.

18. MadDogMike

MadDogMike New Member

I'm thinking the exact opposite, at least in my case. I'm setup for streaming (Logitech Revue), but I find that the Netflix streaming library is woefully inadequate. So, if I keep Netflix at all, I will be canceling streaming and keeping DVD-only service. Of course, now Netflix has to compete with WalMart streaming movies, too, which supposedly will have on-demand movies available as soon as their DVD is available.

19. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

I just cut my Netflix account today..

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

20. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

It is doomed on my Revue and in my BluRay playerMy plan now is to add 1 BluRay per month to my collection