Quantcast

Is it worth getting?

Discussion in 'Sony's NSZ-GS8 / NSZ-GS7' started by Torran, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Torran

Torran New Member

First of all, extremely sorry if this is the wrong section.
    I stumbled upon this site literally about 5 minutes ago, so do excuse me if I have done something wrong.

Anyway, a few days I bought an Apple TV 3, this was mainly down due to impatience and lack of money for a NSZ-GS7.
    I am now getting a little bored of the Apple TVs lack of apps, although being able to airplay from my iPod is a nice feature, but certain things like iPlayer are not in HD which is something I like to have.
    Reviews about the NSZ-GS7 are a little far from positive, so I thought what better place to ask than here to see what this device is like.

So basically, is getting the NSZ-GS7 worth it? I live in the UK if it makes any difference, heres what I'd use it for if possible:
    YouTube (preferably in HD), Netflix (preferably in HD), iPlayer (preferably in HD), and other videos over DLNA.

What is the picture quality like? How stable is it, do apps crash often? Is something like Netflix going to crash mid video?
    And what formats does it support, would I need to convert alot of files? .avi, .mp4, .mkv are ones I use, and rarely .ts but I wouldn't expect it to support that.

And most importantly.. is it worth it?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I use Google TV almost daily and it was certainly worth getting for me. I like Apple TV but don't own it, I have almost nothing on iTunes and it is very limited compared to Google TV in my opinion but for what it does, it works well. I have no problems with Google TV crashing but it is easy to get it to crash if it isn't operated carefully, how to avoid crashes is covered here, it basically requires babying the device. As far as codecs handled by the NSZ-GS7/GS8 and other Google TV models, here is a good list from the developer of ViMu a media player app.

Video and audio formats - ViMu Player - Your Google TV Media player

3. retroben

retroben Active Member

It is definitely worth it,especially if you like extra space for storing HD media with 8GB.
    If you're not a big fan of voice control,the GS7 is supposed to be on a discount compared to GS8.
    I am US,so I am not sure what is missing apart from the "US only" system apps,and some of which can be side-loaded.

I found the best method for converting videos (especially HD) to a working X.264 codec with near lossless quality using --->any video converter.
    If you get a Sony NSZ-GS7/GS8 and confirm that you have it,I will tell you step-by-step how to get the best quality in converting HD videos into nearly lossless X.264 using said converter made by anvsoft.
    Just let me know by posting so in this topic.

4. Torran

Torran New Member

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I don't own the Sony NSZ-GS7 so I can't comment from personal experience. However there is a specific glitch with the UK ITV Player on the Sony NSZ-GS7 - and the workaround is to switch the GTV user agent to "generic" (or a custom user agent). So if one knows what to do then I think they should be able to get the ITV Player to work on the Sony NSZ-GS7. This issue was discussed in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-s-nsz-gs8-nsz-gs7/7235-uk-itv-player-problem.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the BBC iPlayer had an issue on the Sony NSZ-GS7. There is a different workaround (fix) for the BBC iPlayer issue mentioned in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/sony-s-nsz-gs8-nsz-gs7/7204-bbc-iplayer.html

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  6. Torran

Torran New Member

Does anyone also know if iPlayer is in HD when using it on GTV?
    I'm just trying to gather enough information so that I wouldn't be disappointed if I were to sell the Apple TV and get Google TV as I can play quite alot of stuff on Apple TV through my iPod, but stuff like iPlayer is not in HD, and most file formats have to be converted.

7. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I have both and really like both (ATV3 and GS7). Before buying the GTV have a look at PlexConnect. This puts Plex on the ATV3 without a jailbreak and it works really well.

Philip

8. retroben

retroben Active Member

#1:Do you have a Sony Bravia TV and intend to use it with a GTV set-top box?
    If you do,the same thing will most likely happen to you as it did to the people who made bad reviews.
    If you have a stable HDTV like my 22" Polaroid 1080p LED HDTV,it should work fine.

#2:Do you have a strong internet provider for streaming HD with Youtube App etc. comparable to USA Charter Internet 30mbps (I get 2.88MBps Mega Bytes Download Speed,on wi-fi!).

#3:If you only need it for basic things (not using channel specific streamer apps like BBC,netflix,and other services) it just might be for you.
    Sadly I don't know anything about the HDMI-in cable/satellite TV viewer on my Sony box because I lack the needed HD cable box to run it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  9. theslydog

theslydog New Member

I have a Sony Bravia and it does the same on-off thing to me. I now run the Sony GTV through a Marantz amp and the problem is gone.

2.88MBps is not really enough for HD TV. You need a good 10MBps for decent HD streaming.

I find the Netflix, Amazon ang Google TV apps fine if you install an dlna media player app from the market it should stream and play mkv mp4 etc fine. Well does for me anyway. No problem here with streaming 1080p mkv.

10. retroben

retroben Active Member

I'm pretty sure 3,072 kilobytes or 3,072,000 bytes or 3.47MB per second in my last speed test with wi-fi on MY Sony NSZ-GS7 is way fast enough.

I have perfectly seamless 1080p HD playback on various Youtube players.

Its fine,unless certain streamers require massively excessive bandwidth.

11. Torran

Torran New Member

I would use Google TV for watching YouTube, Netflix, iPlayer and videos streamed from a DLNA server.
    My internet can hit 70mbps on a speed test which is about 8.75mb/s download, but this is via a cable. However Wi-Fi hits about 40/50mbps depending on the strength, I am above the router.

As I asked earlier, does anyone know if iPlayer is in HD? I wouldn't really mind if it wasn't but it would be nice.

Oh and I have a LG TV 1080p

12. ChrisG8

I have been using Google TV for a couple of years and I don't know what iPlayer is. What is it?

13. CatfishRivers

14. ChrisG8

15. Torran

Torran New Member

If you ran it through a proxy, it's possible.

In response to pmcd:
    "I have both and really like both (ATV3 and GS7). Before buying the GTV have a look at PlexConnect. This puts Plex on the ATV3 without a jailbreak and it works really well."

I would prefer not to have my PC on as it is too loud

16. CatfishRivers

ChrisG8 the BBC iPlayer radio programs work in the USA. I just tried one with my Logitech Revue. The TV shows only work in the UK (and I get a message that radio works in USA but TV only in UK).

If you used a VPN you could probably access their TV shows in USA.

17. callanish

callanish Member

I'm in the U.S with the GS7 using unotelly as a proxy to access U.K tv. BBC iplayer works fine. ITV player used to work. Even changing to generic for user agent or adding the mozilla agent string to fool it no longer works for me, so I use the regional STV and UTV catchup to access ITV programming. Also running TVcatchup for live stuff works fine. Funny, the logitech revue still runs the itv player, so I don't know what the deal is with the Sony.

Tried running a VPN through my router, but most of the u.k content kept buffering a lot. That was using strongVPN, so it wasn't up the task to provide me with a consistent stream, whereas running a proxy through the GS7 does.

Now, how all this will play out when the O.S Jellybean comes along taking flash out of the equation is anyone's guess. I'm hoping there's some kind of way to block the upgrade when it does get released as that upgrade will render all this U.K flash content unusable. When that happens, the majority of what I use Google TV for will no longer be accessible using the Sony, so it'll be time to dust off the Revue and put that in the Sony's place, because I doubt it if the U.K websites will have HTML5 running when Jellybean gets released.

For me, GoogleTV has been quite good for Watching U.K content in the U.S using a proxy service and knowing Google is making it less functional with a flash-less Jellybean upgrade pretty soon is going to be rather frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  18. CatfishRivers

Hi. Can you please try the following user agent string with ITV and see if it works. (After you enter the custom user agent string you need to reboot your GTV in order for it to work).

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1468.0 Safari/537.36

• Like Like x 2
  19. ChrisG8

Thanks, I am not interested in the BBC radio programs but would be interested in BBC TV programming. As far as circumventing rules regarding country of use, I am not an attorney and don't really understand whether or not that is legal. I keep on thinking I should research it.

I use all region DVD and Blu-ray players to play region restricted discs, that is perfectly legal although the manufacturer is violating the license to build players by doing it or making it easy for me to do. If bypassing restrictions for viewing internet TV turns out to be legal, I am certainly going to look into it.

20. callanish

callanish Member

Update***********

A huge thanks CatfishRivers. I've got ITV player working with the user string you posted. Don't have a clue why it didn't work for me before. It could have been something as simple as entering the incorrect string, but I'm usually pretty good with checking these things. Either way, the ITV player is functioning now, whereas before it wasn't. Streaming Coronation Street ( don't ask ) as I type this, so I'm back in business and have you to thank.

Troubles me to know that while everyone is looking forward to Jellybean, I'm not one of them, as I'll probably lose this U.K access that I seem to be enjoying when Sony forces their future firmware upgrade on me. I'll go back to the Revue to get my U.K content, but paying $200 for the GS7, and then ending up putting it in the closet to gather dust in hopes that at some point HTML5 gets supported by the U.K catchup websites isn't something I was expecting that I'd have to do.

Yes, that's the user agent I did enter manually. With that, it allows me to access the ITV player homepage, but I can't play any of the content. Will be happy to try it again when I get home and update you on the result as I noticed that with the generic and default user agent, it used to flag me with a reloop message error. Generic also used to work with the itv player, But now I'm just sent to a help page telling me which connected devices run with the itv player, but I can never access the itv player homepage with the default or generic user agent settings. Can't remember if I did a reboot immediately, but I believe I did reboot at some point with the Mozilla user agent info entered. Like I said, no issues with the Scottish STV player and the Irish UTV player, so what I'll do is attempt the mozilla string again, reboot and see if anything has changed.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013