Quantcast

Is it worth getting one now

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by travis.scone, Apr 26, 2012.

1. travis.scone

travis.scone New Member

I wanted one last year but never had the chance to get one. Is it still worth getting one now that it is discontinued? Does it still receive software updates and support? Also how good is the support for watching videos off an external hard drive?

2. madman999

madman999 Member

Just my opinion but If you can get a revue for 79$ to 99$ or so, it would be a good buy. Anything higher and I would save my money for an android tablet with hdmi out or a laptop or htpc computer to output to tv.

I actually bought 5 of them when the were on sale and they work well enough for me. Can watch h264 mp4 movies from usb hard drives without issue. My biggest use is streaming flash video via chrome browser and some android apps. Picture and sound looks great on my lcd tv.

It does still get updates. Don't know how long that will be or whether the hardware will eventually be not supported because it's too weak.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It appears that if you want a refurbished Revue you can find one for approx. $100. However a new Revue is currently going for approx. $140 to $160 from third party resellers on Amazon.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I love my Revues but at this point, I would say wait for a second generation Google TV device of some kind. It is likely something better will be available in the not too distant future and whatever premium price it will demand, if any, can easily be justified.

5. CatfishRivers

Along those lines I'll mention that Sony announced they will be releasing a second generation GTV blu-ray player and also a set-top box in Europe in September - at a price equivalent to $266 for the set-top box and $399 for the blu-ray player. No exact release date or price has been officially announced for their USA launch.

Also Vizio showed off a GTV set-top box at the Consumer Electronics Show in January. This box will have a custom Vizio skin (interface). There was a rumor that it would be released over the summer at a price of $99 - although Vizio has made no official announcement yet about the exact release date and price.

6. madman999

madman999 Member

7. madman999

madman999 Member

8. madman999

madman999 Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. gadgetrants

gadgetrants New Member

10. CatfishRivers

Just so you are aware - if you buy a refurbished Revue and it was refurbished by another company other than Logitech - then Logitech will not honor the warranty. The company that does the actual refurbishing will have the warranty - so make sure you know all the details before you purchase. A few people got burned buying a "refurbished" Revue as you can see from this thread on the Logitech Revue Forum:

Does Logitech give warranty on a refurbished Revue... - Logitech Forums

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  11. jleeper

jleeper New Member

I picked up a used Revue on ebay for $80 (including shipping) for the bedroom TV as I have a Sony GTV in the living room. I am bummed that I can't DL the TuneIn app on the Revue when I can on the Gtv, anyone know why it is not available on the Revue? Otherwise all good so far. I do hope Google keeps the updates for this device coming down the road, but for the price it worth the money to make an average tv into something cool.

12. madman999

madman999 Member

Try side loading it. Use something like file expert to backup the app. Copy to a usb stick and plug into three review and double click on it to install. You will have enable install from unknown sources.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....