Quantcast

Is it time...

Discussion in 'Vizio Co-Star' started by degsie, May 1, 2014.

1. degsie

degsie Member

...to sell my Co-Star? I'm assuming no more updates and with Google's change of direction re android TV. I still use it occasionally but its looking dated now compared with the new Amazon TV box. Time to move on methinks.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

2. ronnycopeh

ronnycopeh Member

Not yet! Mine is fine, Plex good, thugz sports great, playon with watch espn great, no problem really only if I side-load a app that gives me a headache, I like the Costar because it has HDMI in and out so I can switch to it while watching tv without changing inputs, I don't think amazon fire have that, as far as I can see, maybe someone will tell me the differ. I also don't see playon as an app and I have a subscription. Just my 2 cents

• Like Like x 2
  3. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

I talked to Vizio Friday,he has said they're moving forward..but like anything else,he could not yet elaborate on what that will include for google tv..
    he just said that a lot of new things are coming as early as summer....not really specific as to what though

4. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

ronny,same here..the costar is a big step up from the Revue.and to save myself headaches I rescued my K700 keyboard it works like a dream,though there are things that the keyboard can't do,but that's a minscule list..but I'd rather have the keyboard than that "Mattel inside" keypad lol

5. ronnycopeh

ronnycopeh Member

I use Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400which I got from Walmart and it works perfect. I never got Vimu to work right, I get the movies but not the sound and Plex play all movies fine. Thanks for responding
    [h=1][/h]

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It is hard to know much about whether or not there will be future updates but as is, Google TV still does more of what I want than any other internet streaming box I have used so I continue to use Google TV. The shortcomings for me are solved by having a PC server on the network which I now consider a must. Selling and moving on isn't anything I have considered which is a good thing, this box isn't worth much on the used market.

7. saeba

saeba Active Member

I find it interesting how little adoption there has been for the Google TV solution.... while it's been a perfect solution for me; one that I'd been looking for over a period of seven or so years.

I started the journey back in 2005 when I first hooked up my PC to a TV set in our den. I purchased a Snapstream Firefly remote control and used Zoom Player to play downloaded content on my PC to the TV. I also had a wireless keyboard on the PC so that I could grab it and use a standard browser to search the web. This was workable, but I really wanted a solution for our main home theater system and getting another PC seemed a really expensive option.

So... in 2009, I got a PS3 and hooked it up to our main home theater system and used a package called PS3 Media Server to stream content to it. This kinda worked for many types of content, but the PS3 web browser was awful.

Then, enter Google TV in 2012 - it had a nice browser, a workable remote with the option of the k700 wireless full keyboard and a range of applications. With GTV release 2, the range of applications expanded and it really became a perfect match for my needs for an integrated web/media content player at a reasonable price. With Plex, Crunchyroll, Vudu, PlayOn, Amazon Instant Video and Chrome it met all my requirements. My wife and I both love it.

But all I hear about in the press and on web sites is people complaining about GTV. I don't quite get it.... but, this negative press recently served me well when I was able to pick up an Asus Cube GTV for about $30 after rebate on Groupon. One man's trash is another man's gold I guess. But the point Chris made is valid, I started with a powerful PC server as the heart of my solutions and that really is key. Plex and PlayOn/PlayLater on my PC cover a variety of weaknesses in the GTV solution (missing audio/video codecs, no Hulu/HuluPlus, inability to play content from many websites).

In the past 2 years since starting up with GTV, I really don't have any new requirements that are unmet with it. I guess eventually such apps will arrive, but for now it continues to meet all my needs. I now have 3 GTV units: one with my main home theater system, one in the den (replacing the PC hookup), and one in my office/exercise room.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  8. mogulman

mogulman New Member

My solution for home streaming is a Netgear ReadyNAS NAS device. It provides all my PC backup needs, DLNA, and webserver needs. I can stream either via the webserver or DLNA. The webserver works great for my phone and Android tablets. The DLNA works great with the Costar and smart TVs. I convert all the media to MP4 streaming format. Streaming format requires the header info be at the beginning of file. I use DVD Catalyst to do the conversion since it puts it in an mp4 format compatible with all my devices and smart TVs. It also increases the volume since most movies and shows have the volume too low.